Zay Flowers, Boston College

EDGE:

Keion White, Georgia Tech
Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas St.
Will McDonald IV, Iowa St.
B.J. Ojulari, LSU

DT:

Mazi Smith, Michigan

As it stands right now, feel pretty confident that our first round pick will be one of these guys.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:11 PM 03-20-2023
I just don't see them going for a tackle that early, not now. I think they intend to have Taylor play LT so OT becomes more of a search for a guy on the right side, probably in the middle rounds.

I like the DE and DT classes much better than WR. I'd love to get Hall.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:28 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I just don't see them going for a tackle that early, not now. I think they intend to have Taylor play LT so OT becomes more of a search for a guy on the right side, probably in the middle rounds.

I like the DE and DT classes much better than WR. I'd love to get Hall.
Lucas Niang scared the shit out of me. He’s been a walking injury
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:32 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yeah, I'm not keen on him being the starter. Ideally, he'd be your swing tackle and they'd find a RT somewhere else.

I just think Taylor is going to be the LT. I don't think they're even looking for LT's at this point unless somebody plummets in the draft.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:37 PM 03-20-2023
I think it's McDonald, he has speed, but he also got used in that 3-3-5 so he has a bunch of experience being used as a block eating run defender even with his athletic ability.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:38 PM 03-20-2023
Niang is probably gonna get the shot and if that doesn't work they'd probably tell you they can throw Wanagho out there with help and get the same thing they got from Wiley.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:24 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I think it's McDonald, he has speed, but he also got used in that 3-3-5 so he has a bunch of experience being used as a block eating run defender even with his athletic ability.
He turns 24 before training camp and is undersized. I doubt he goes in the first rd. He has mid-to-late 2nd rd written all over him
[Reply]
staylor26 01:29 PM 03-20-2023
He turns 24 before training camp and is undersized. I doubt he goes in the first rd. He has mid-to-late 2nd rd written all over him
DJ has him in his top 25 and Zierlein has him as a 1st rounder as well. I've seen some people have him going as high as top 10. If he makes it out of the 1st, he's going high in the 2nd.

Him being 24 isn't a huge deal becuase he's ready to play.

I think you're way off here.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:30 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
DJ has him in his top 25 and Zierlein has him as a 1st rounder as well. I've seen some people have him going as high as top 10.

Him being 24 isn't a huge deal becuase he's ready to play.

I think you're way off here.
If he had more snaps as a pure rusher he'd be viewed better by regular fan, he didn't get many chances to show his skills.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:45 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Eh - good luck eating up blocks at 240 lbs in the NFL.

I like McDonald a lot, but more as a rotational OLB for odd fronts or a Wide-9 sort of guided missile on 3rd downs in an even front.

Now he MIGHT be able to be that guy here w/ Karlaftis and Omenihu. You go out there on 3rd downs and go into a sort of LEO front w/ Karlaftis shading and Omenihu sliding inside - you can really do a lot to provide excellent rush angles for McDonald at that point.

But I'm not gonna rely on him as a 3-down player in a 4-3. Even having him out there for 70% of the snaps in a 3-4 may be asking a bit much unless you're 2-gapping in front of him.

He's just awfully light, man.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:48 PM 03-20-2023
I've seen some recent mocks with Myles Murphy being available at 31. That would probably be best case scenario for us.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:50 PM 03-20-2023
I think he's early/mid 2nd.

What might cause a slide is that he's a guy that isn't terribly scheme diverse. There will be teams that just flat won't have him on their boards in the 1st or 2nd day, IMO.

So there will need to be 3-4 teams that REALLY like him and see a great way to use him. And then he needs to hope that those 3-4 teams don't have someone on the board when they pick that they like just a liiiiitle bit more.

That's why I like doing that CP Mock - I really started to get an understanding of why guys slide several years back as I was putting boards together for a couple different teams and found myself with some guys who I had as a top 30 player for one team and not in the top 75 for another team. And invariably I was able to get those guys for the team I liked them on a round later than I expected to.

Because that's just how slides happen. I will always say that's why Omenihu fell as far as he did - he was a strict 4-3 guy and there were just guys a bunch of 4-3 teams liked a little bit better.

Then of course the 3-4 Texans took him, he spun his wheels for a while and then got dumped for a 6th round pick to a 4-3 team that could actually put him to use.

Scheme diversity prevents draft slides and I question if McDonald has it.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:03 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think he's early/mid 2nd.

What might cause a slide is that he's a guy that isn't terribly scheme diverse. There will be teams that just flat won't have him on their boards in the 1st or 2nd day, IMO.

So there will need to be 3-4 teams that REALLY like him and see a great way to use him. And then he needs to hope that those 3-4 teams don't have someone on the board when they pick that they like just a liiiiitle bit more.

That's why I like doing that CP Mock - I really started to get an understanding of why guys slide several years back as I was putting boards together for a couple different teams and found myself with some guys who I had as a top 30 player for one team and not in the top 75 for another team. And invariably I was able to get those guys for the team I liked them on a round later than I expected to.

Because that's just how slides happen. I will always say that's why Omenihu fell as far as he did - he was a strict 4-3 guy and there were just guys a bunch of 4-3 teams liked a little bit better.

Then of course the 3-4 Texans took him, he spun his wheels for a while and then got dumped for a 6th round pick to a 4-3 team that could actually put him to use.

Scheme diversity prevents draft slides and I question if McDonald has it.
I agree. He looks incredibly lanky for a DE. More like a safety to me. The comp for him is Randy Gregory and honestly that could not be more appropriate.

I cannot see a 24 year old undersized speed rusher going in the first. That alone is too much stacked against him, but I think this DL class is gonna push him down the board.

I don’t think he fits here but they could try something different. I just see a guy like Derrick Hall who has everything we want but is a tick off on his weight at 254.

Idk guys. I love Foskey but Omenihu seems to be in that role. Really thinking Derrick Hall is the guy
[Reply]
JPH83 02:05 PM 03-20-2023
Would love McDonald and agree his usage means he's not the mismatch I think he's made out to be. Man I dunno about Niang and I find it really hard to believe they'll not be looking for an RT pretty early
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:09 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Would love McDonald and agree his usage means he's not the mismatch I think he's made out to be. Man I dunno about Niang and I find it really hard to believe they'll not be looking for an RT pretty early
I could see them going RT as high as round 2 but I think it will be more like 3rd or 4th. I just don't see them spending a 1st rounder on an OT at this point.

And like you, I'm definitely unsure about Niang. I don't think they're done at the position, FWIW.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:54 PM 03-20-2023
My top 5 are

1T D-TACKLE Mazi Smith
EDGE Isaiah Foskey
RIGHT O-TACKLE Darnell Wright
O-WEAPON Jahmyr Gibbs
EDGE Derick Hall
[Reply]
Page 10 of 15
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up