ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
synthesis2 08:15 AM 03-04-2022
Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
[Reply]
synthesis2 07:45 AM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
That pickup comparison video shows how abysmal range is now.

Maybe I’ll get a usable electric truck by the time I’m 80.
The cybertruck trimotor will get 500 miles plus range, even pulling should get 400 miles or more.
[Reply]
synthesis2 07:47 AM 07-08-2022
Let's not kid ourselves.

This is going to come down to having large battery banks charging solar at every house that owns an Electric vehicle.

They'll develop a way to dump a lot of juice quickly from those banks into the car.

Or a quick swap battery stock at every "gas" station.
we have a decent size house and our electric was $300-400 a month and now is $30-40 a month with the Tesla charger at the house. During the fall , winter and spring I would expect zero electric bill. virtually feels off the grid in a way.
[Reply]
synthesis2 07:48 AM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by rtmike:
If you can find one.

I seen on the news where a dealer said they could sell 60 @ month if they weren't only getting one or two a month from factory.
That's a good point.
[Reply]
synthesis2 07:50 AM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
nissan leaf is great if all you do is run around town. Won't help me much when I need to drive 400 miles for a trip
If people understood how charging works with fast chargers and how quick you can fill up they would rethink electric. I was the same way before I purchased our Model 3, I believe with the Leaf you can drive 200 miles , then find a supercharger (all over the place) and spend 10-15 minutes filling up and then go on your way, only spending around $5-8 for a full tank.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:12 AM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by synthesis2:
If people understood how charging works with fast chargers and how quick you can fill up they would rethink electric. I was the same way before I purchased our Model 3, I believe with the Leaf you can drive 200 miles , then find a supercharger (all over the place) and spend 10-15 minutes filling up and then go on your way, only spending around $5-8 for a full tank.
I'm generally "on your side" when it comes to all of this, but you constantly exaggerate in the positive direction, which undoubtedly causes a lot of people to discount you. There's no way you're charging a Leaf in 10-15 minutes, and if you're charging at a public charger, it'll cost you at least twice that. And that's if you can even find a CHAdeMO charger, which are relatively uncommon. They're great around town but a pretty big PITA for a road trip.

(Source: I own one.)
[Reply]
ghak99 09:37 AM 07-08-2022
That pickup comparison video shows how abysmal range is now.

Maybe I’ll get a usable electric truck by the time I’m 80.
Assuming there wasn't anything weird going on to explain it, the truck is complete fucking dog shit as anything but a grocery getter. Which is fine if that is how it's marketed. I've considered getting my mom one if it rolled out ok as 90% of her use would be that and picking up grandkids, so it'd be perfect for her but a 6k trailer just murdered that thing for most people.

I don't think they mentioned it, but I noticed it was actually in the drafting position behind the gas truck in a lot of the clips during the video. That makes a huge difference and would make the performance even worse in a non drafting test.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:29 AM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Assuming there wasn't anything weird going on to explain it, the truck is complete fucking dog shit as anything but a grocery getter. Which is fine if that is how it's marketed. I've considered getting my mom one if it rolled out ok as 90% of her use would be that and picking up grandkids, so it'd be perfect for her but a 6k trailer just murdered that thing for most people.

I don't think they mentioned it, but I noticed it was actually in the drafting position behind the gas truck in a lot of the clips during the video. That makes a huge difference and would make the performance even worse in a non drafting test.
PHEVs are kind of shat upon by EV purists, but honestly they're probably the better solution to someone who wants a lot of the benefits of an EV but needs towing range. Unfortunately, I'm not sure many truck brands are developing them.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:53 AM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
PHEVs are kind of shat upon by EV purists, but honestly they're probably the better solution to someone who wants a lot of the benefits of an EV but needs towing range. Unfortunately, I'm not sure many truck brands are developing them.
They'd probably be a decent bridge for a good chunk of the customer base who only tows to the lake or track on the weekends and never gets too far out of warranty coverage. I bet a lot of people would enjoy running on electric during the work week and using gas to extend the range on the weekend.

I'm all about simple though and two systems and still having all the maintenance just mentally kills it for me. Just give me the impossible dammit! I'm not going to live forever!
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:35 AM 07-08-2022
They are if you can only have one car. I'd rather have one gas car and one pure EV so I can do whatever I need but not be lugging around an extra propulsion system.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:06 PM 07-08-2022
That’s a viable solution for my truck usage. At least the one I drive. The farm truck that gets trailers probably not.

I want that damned electric semi.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:08 PM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
They are if you can only have one car. I'd rather have one gas car and one pure EV so I can do whatever I need but not be lugging around an extra propulsion system.
It’s not a propulsion system it’s a generator, right?
[Reply]
MagicHef 12:27 PM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yes, and even hybrids without plug-in capability are more efficient than straight gas cars, so obviously the benefits outweigh the drawbacks of extra weight and complexity.

For my situation, considering the cost of buying a new car, I'm probably going to wait until an EV is available that meets my needs that can act as a daily driver, and use my existing gas truck for the rare occasions (long trip, heavy towing) that the EV won't cut it. I think I'll get the most benefit that way as I will almost always be driving a full EV without carrying any gas equipment, but will still have the ability to do the things a full EV can't.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:45 PM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Eh, it's really both. But that's just a technicality.

As for maintenance, there's really zero added by the EV system, but you do add some additional potential failure points.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:06 PM 07-08-2022
Originally Posted by synthesis2:
You can get a Nissian Leaf for $27-28k and with tax incentives its nets you down to around 20K. so easy to find and saves lots of cash.
Interesting. I guess I should have considered there would be gov't tax breaks. I am getting solar panels installed right now. I will get a 26% tax rebate on that system. Next year it goes down to 22%.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 02:38 PM 07-08-2022
EVs are great tell they catch on fire
[Reply]
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up