ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 14
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
synthesis2 08:15 AM 03-04-2022
Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:15 AM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by synthesis2:
...I wonder why others are not switching faster?
Perhaps some of us are fine with our old vehicles and don't want a new car payment.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:17 AM 06-07-2022
Originally Posted by jjjayb:
We have enough oil to supply the world right here in the United States. Now, tell me, where do we get the batteries that power the electric cars? We don't have the minerals here to produce them. The argument of going electric to become "energy independent" is nonsense.
The other thing is the fact that our morons in the federal gov't are trying to force everyone to switch rather than letting this happen naturally through markets. :-)
[Reply]
synthesis2 11:29 AM 06-11-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Perhaps some of us are fine with our old vehicles and don't want a new car payment.
I agree to each there own for sure, I guess my point was that its not just a fun car to drive but its very cost effective.

I don't know what kind of car you have but lets say you have a car that gets 20 miles per gallon ( again I have zero idea what you have) and you drive it 500 miles a week, again just a wild guess. if you buy standard unleaded at $4.50 a gallon, call it $112 per week for gas or $400-450 a month in gas. Then you add in maintenance per year of $1000-1500 a year in oil changes and other things that EV does not have to deal with. your average per month to drive a paid off car would be around $500-600 per month vs. $30-40 per month is electricity to charge. No oil changes, just a tire rotation which set up back $40. Say a Nissan leaf with 226 miles per charge with a net under 20k with tax breaks.

So if you say you can get a good range EV for 20k, and your monthly payment is $250 per month wouldn't you think you would come out ahead each month money wise compared with a paid off car? Again if you don't drive much it does not matter but it the above senerio it would seem to be looking through the googles of no monthly payment but paying so much in gas and maintenance vs. a car payment but so much less is power that you come out $150-200 ahead each month.
[Reply]
synthesis2 07:47 AM 06-17-2022
Heard Tesla is raising prices in the next few weeks... uhhhh. Hope they keep the Cybertruck at the price we put the deposit on.
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:53 AM 06-17-2022
Congrats
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:31 AM 06-17-2022
I've never driven an electric vehicle. My luxury car of choice is Audi and they are switching to all electric.

I have a question for those who have driven them, do they all have that drag when you let off the gas that feels like your emergency brake is on? I absolutely hate that. I want zero drag when I coast. I once test drove a CX5 that gets great gas mileage and that's one of the reasons why apparently. It was awful and I went with a Rogue instead.

I would hate that if they all do that. I can't imagine that being the case though
[Reply]
DaFace 08:37 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I've never driven an electric vehicle. My luxury car of choice is Audi and they are switching to all electric.

I have a question for those who have driven them, do they all have that drag when you let off the gas that feels like your emergency brake is on? I absolutely hate that. I want zero drag when I coast. I once test drove a CX5 that gets great gas mileage and that's one of the reasons why apparently. It was awful and I went with a Rogue instead.

I would hate that if they all do that. I can't imagine that being the case though
Depends on the manufacturer and how they chose to program their cars. Most of them do WANT a tiny bit of drag since that's how you recapture a bit of power (regen braking). I don't personally find it to be significant, but you might.

You'd think Audi would have a mode that would minimize it, though, given their brand. Probably best just to take some test drives and play with the driving modes.
[Reply]
synthesis2 05:28 AM 07-06-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:

That's a easy question, you can turn it off.

It has a option where you can switch it off with the touch on the screen and it will act like a normal car when cruising. But if you leave it on it will regenerate power from the breaking when your foot is off the gas, you also don't need to end up using your brake 98% of the time so its supposed to save your breaks where you don't need to replace them for 180k miles or more. but once you get used to it, takes about 100 miles of driving, you end up liking it more. or at least myself and my wife did.

Spent an extra $14 last month is electricitly vs. $300 in gas, they are freaking amazing!!
[Reply]
Lzen 02:29 PM 07-06-2022
Originally Posted by synthesis2:
I agree to each there own for sure, I guess my point was that its not just a fun car to drive but its very cost effective.

I don't know what kind of car you have but lets say you have a car that gets 20 miles per gallon ( again I have zero idea what you have) and you drive it 500 miles a week, again just a wild guess. if you buy standard unleaded at $4.50 a gallon, call it $112 per week for gas or $400-450 a month in gas. Then you add in maintenance per year of $1000-1500 a year in oil changes and other things that EV does not have to deal with. your average per month to drive a paid off car would be around $500-600 per month vs. $30-40 per month is electricity to charge. No oil changes, just a tire rotation which set up back $40. Say a Nissan leaf with 226 miles per charge with a net under 20k with tax breaks.

So if you say you can get a good range EV for 20k, and your monthly payment is $250 per month wouldn't you think you would come out ahead each month money wise compared with a paid off car? Again if you don't drive much it does not matter but it the above senerio it would seem to be looking through the googles of no monthly payment but paying so much in gas and maintenance vs. a car payment but so much less is power that you come out $150-200 ahead each month.
Truck gets about 15-20 mpg. It is mostly only driven to and from work (11 miles through town one way M-F) and occasionally other places like Lowes (maybe 20 miles round trip). Not sure where you get $1000-$1500 yearly oil and maintenance but mine is not anywhere near that.

Other vehicle is a Kia Optima. It gets about 28-32 mpg. It is driven to and from work (about 9 miles one way through town, M-F but there are some days the wife works from home) and anywhere else we go that doesn't need a truck to haul stuff. Still think your oil and maintenance estimate is way high.

And, of course, I ride a motorcycle as much as I can during the warm weather months.

Yeah, no, still cheaper than buying a new electric vehicle, especially when you add in the insurance and property tax. And really, where are you going to find a EV for 20k?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:48 PM 07-06-2022
We have enough oil to supply the world right here in the United States. Now, tell me, where do we get the batteries that power the electric cars? We don't have the minerals here to produce them. The argument of going electric to become "energy independent" is nonsense.
Wait about a decade. The US will develop a gold source of lithium.
[Reply]
stevieray 02:54 PM 07-06-2022
And most of the lithium is refined in CHINA.

I remember when air was free at the gas station, too.

You think the rate for electricity will remain static?

:-)
[Reply]
notorious 04:14 PM 07-06-2022
Originally Posted by stevieray:
And most of the lithium is refined in CHINA.

I remember when air was free at the gas station, too.

You think the rate for electricity will remain static?

:-)
We get screwed one way or the other.

I don't know why they are forcing the issue. As soon as electric becomes a better option than diesel with pickups I'll be all over it.
[Reply]
rtmike 08:17 PM 07-06-2022
Like a broken record. Where we getting all this extra electricity?
Just about all single blocks of neighborhood homes in north America can only support three homes of full rip 90 amp Tesla superchargers homes.

O, yeah, coal & natural gas power plants pick up the slack, lol.
Attached: FB_IMG_1657138953772.jpg (24.7 KB) 
[Reply]
rtmike 08:44 PM 07-06-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
. Even the cheapest EVs will beat most muscle cars off of the line.
BFD, what's your point? All cars beat me off the line, lol!
If I'm so inclined, mine eats on the big end when I want.

It's not only torque that gets you outta problems. Disc brakes, lol.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:20 PM 07-06-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Truck gets about 15-20 mpg. It is mostly only driven to and from work (11 miles through town one way M-F) and occasionally other places like Lowes (maybe 20 miles round trip). Not sure where you get $1000-$1500 yearly oil and maintenance but mine is not anywhere near that.
If you're only driving 6~7 thousand miles in a year, that's only half the American average. So that would explain part of it. And most years maintenance isn't that high, especially for new vehicles.

But of course always having a new vehicle is expensive. And if you keep a vehicle long enough, you eventually will get expensive repairs that will bump up the long term average.

A lot of drivers tend to under estimate just how much it costs in the long term.

Until they do something like try and make a living driving for Uber.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 14
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up