ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 120 of 172
« First < 2070110116117118119120 121122123124130170 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:09 PM 07-09-2022
I watched Warrior on HBO.

It is about Chinatown in SanFran in the 1800s. I didn't expect much, but found myself caring a lot about the outcome. There is only 2 seasons and seems to end in the middle probably, but it was worth the watch.

The fight scenes were way better than I expected. And the bro banter was really good in some places. It was far from perfect, but I found myself caring a lot about the characters.

Sidenote: I loved the Hong character. Particularly in the Mexico episode. I laughed every time he was on the screen.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:11 PM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I watched Warrior on HBO.

It is about Chinatown in SanFran in the 1800s. I didn't expect much, but found myself caring a lot about the outcome. There is only 2 seasons and seems to end in the middle probably, but it was worth the watch.

The fight scenes were way better than I expected. And the bro banter was really good in some places. It was far from perfect, but I found myself caring a lot about the characters.

Sidenote: I loved the Hong character. Particularly in the Mexico episode. I laughed every time he was on the screen.

Ah Sahm is the fucking shit.

The actor also was Storm Shadow in the Snake Eyes movie and was tight AF in that.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:45 PM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Anyone watch Breeders, also on FX. Totally different show from this, but created and written by Freeman. It's not worldbreaking, but it is pretty decent.

Basically, an update of the story of . . . incidental . . . parents, navigating modern problems [social media, juggling work and home life, . . . kids these days, etc].

Particularly interesting is the character played by the wife, because it's played by Daisy Haggard who is mostly known for a one-note but brilliant and hilarious character in Episodes. Again, a much different and altogether enjoyable performance.
Quoted this from a reference in an old Fargo thread because Breeders just had its season 3 finale.

I know the type of show might not be for everyone, but for the type of show it is, it's pretty brilliant in its execution.

I'm a sucker for shows about conflict that put the effort in to make sure everyone has a bit of a point and everyone is a bit of an ass, so it's not simply good guys versus bad guys, but explores the little fulcrums in interpersonal interactions that can bend the entire narrative in one direction or another.

And Breeders does a great job of showing how bonkers maintaining family can be with modern mores and sensitivities without letting the bonkers slip totally into caricature.

You'll find yourself musing long after episodes are over regarding who's right and who's wrong, how right or wrong they are, or what you would or wouldn't put up with in given situations, and often your own perspective will shift over time, . . . all of which seems an important task to occasionally tackle if you expect familial drama to remain compelling.

All that to say, if nuanced semi-comedic modern family [non-soapy] drama is a genre you seek out, Breeders does it better than most everything else out there.
[Reply]
markdis 01:05 PM 07-12-2022
Marvelous Mrs Maisel - 10/10
Stranger Things -10/10
How to get away with the murder - 9/10
Those three are my tops this year. Here is a good list of iptv services which give me access to unlimited amount of new and old movies, episodes, documentaries and cartoons. Never ever i can be bored again.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 07:36 AM 07-13-2022
Kristen Johnston joins HBO’s Righteous Gemstones for Season 3.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1050154/ri...sten-johnston/
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:14 PM 07-14-2022
Just watched the first episode of The Bear. I see great potential for this one. A show about a guy who inherits his dead brother's restaurant, both apparently very talented chefs. The kitchen interactions are very raw and intense. Great acting, barely feels like you're watching actors. Has that voyeuristic quality that Succession possesses.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:50 PM 07-17-2022
Moving a prior post over to here, because, dummy me, it's a series not a movie. . .

So very, very, very here for this

Anyway, saw episode one, and it's every bit of a piece of his prior work.

The best way to put it, particularly to avoid spoiling the experience, is that you won't know what you're watching, but you know you can't look away.

I'm not entirely sure I can say universally that it's not off-putting, because it meanders into realms that are going to spark response from some. And that's not saying it's like gross or perverted or weird, except in the broadest senses of those concepts.

The best word I can conjure is transgressive . . . It takes so many things about social interaction and subjects it to new scrutiny and off-kilter re-examination. You'll wonder what's real and what's not, and you'll wonder how someone comes up with the subtle and small details, let alone the grand plan that goes into an undertaking like this.

I highly recommend off what I've seen of the first episode, because if nothing else it won't be quite like anything else you've seen, and it's worth it just for the creativity and nuance.

A lot of this probably sounds like talking around the show instead of talking about the show, and that's fair and it's also innate to the show itself. I think the remarks, as well as the circumspection, will make more sense when you've seen it yourself.

EDIT - an article/review - https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...n-us-rcna38266
[Reply]
cookster50 06:12 PM 07-18-2022
Finally watched Bosch Legacy, not bad, seemed about the same production level.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:45 PM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by cookster50:
Finally watched Bosch Legacy, not bad, seemed about the same production level.
Nah, they went cheap a couple places that was noticeable, but I was all in on the story. Welliver owns that role.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:04 PM 07-18-2022
Bear.

Crazy unique show. Raw. Gritty. Heartfelt. Amazing acting. As real as a restaurant show will get.

Very, very cool. First few episodes and it's easy to see the potential but maybe harder to envision the payoff. But it hits.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:25 PM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Bear.

Crazy unique show. Raw. Gritty. Heartfelt. Amazing acting. As real as a restaurant show will get.

Very, very cool. First few episodes and it's easy to see the potential but maybe harder to envision the payoff. But it hits.
Hulu right? I’ve seen ads and thought I should check it out.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:41 PM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Hulu right? I’ve seen ads and thought I should check it out.
Yup, FX/Hulu. Good luck.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:33 AM 07-19-2022
I enjoyed The Bear. Felt they really captured the vibe of Chicago. The grind and the perseverance it can take everyday. I thought the cast was engaging and likeable.

Lot of Chicago Easter eggs throughout. A couple no one cares about that I enjoyed were:

Neil Fak wearing a Harms Way shirt in E1 - local legends tough guy band and owners of the classic running man meme/gifs

Spoiler!

Tom Skilling as the VIP customer - WGN weatherman and cherished icon

Spoiler!

Dessert inspiration from Roeser's. The last 2 years I lived there I was fortunate to live near Roeser's. The oldest bakery in Chicago and Pączki masters.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
markdis 02:57 PM 07-19-2022
Intimacy on Netflix.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:43 PM 07-19-2022
Moving a prior post over to here, because, dummy me, it's a series not a movie. . .

Anyway, saw episode one, and it's every bit of a piece of his prior work.

The best way to put it, particularly to avoid spoiling the experience, is that you won't know what you're watching, but you know you can't look away.

I'm not entirely sure I can say universally that it's not off-putting, because it meanders into realms that are going to spark response from some. And that's not saying it's like gross or perverted or weird, except in the broadest senses of those concepts.

The best word I can conjure is transgressive . . . It takes so many things about social interaction and subjects it to new scrutiny and off-kilter re-examination. You'll wonder what's real and what's not, and you'll wonder how someone comes up with the subtle and small details, let alone the grand plan that goes into an undertaking like this.

I highly recommend off what I've seen of the first episode, because if nothing else it won't be quite like anything else you've seen, and it's worth it just for the creativity and nuance.

A lot of this probably sounds like talking around the show instead of talking about the show, and that's fair and it's also innate to the show itself. I think the remarks, as well as the circumspection, will make more sense when you've seen it yourself.

EDIT - an article/review - https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...n-us-rcna38266
Lost it at Chinese Gunpowder. Ending was wholesome. We loved it.
[Reply]
Page 120 of 172
« First < 2070110116117118119120 121122123124130170 > Last »
Up