ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Crow's 2023 Baker's Dozen of Draft Sleepers
kccrow 10:38 PM 03-23-2023
1. DE Viliami Fehoko, San Jose State (6'4" 276)
Possesses great initial snap release, great size, and good bend. He was as disruptive as they come with 69 tackles, 19 for a loss, and 9 sacks, to go with 66 pressures and 7 QB hits en route to Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year. He's got all the traits you want if you're looking for an inside/outside chess piece that can create matchup problems.

2. S Quindell Johnson, Memphis (6'0" 195)
Can be a moving defender on the back end with his outstanding preparation and instincts to go with a great athletic profile. He posted 77 tackles in 2022 and a whopping 104 in 2021. He's great at playing the football as well, with 4 INTs in 2022 and 11 PBUs in 2021. I like him in just about any role but I think he'll find his calling as a center fielder.

3. IOL Brent Laing, Minnesota-Duluth (6'4" 306)
No, not the Canadian curler. We're talking about the nasty Division II RT with outstanding athleticism here. Laing projects insanely well inside in the NFL for a zone offense that likes to get linemen into space. He reaches his blocks and finishes, reminiscent of Quinn Minerz a couple of seasons ago. If I'm a team looking for an OG or OC then this is a guy I'd put very high on my list.

4. WR Keylon Stokes, Tulsa (5'10" 194)
The American Conference star twice put up over 1,000 yards, including 76 for 1,224 and 8 TDs in 2022 after going down in 2021 with an injury that kept him from declaring last season. He's got solid speed and hands and tracks the deep ball well. He's not going to wow you in any singular area but he's as rock solid as it gets, projecting as a highly effective slot target in the NFL.

5. DT Brodric Martin, Western Kentucky (6'5" 335)
I don't know if Martin is as much a sleeper as he was but he's still not highly talked about. Martin is a mammoth of a man that is extremely talented as a two-down run stuffer at NT. He's not going to go out and get you sacks but he's going to be solid enough at the nose to eat up a fairly good chunk of snaps.

6. QB Holton Ahlers, East Carolina (6'3" 237)
Ahlers improved continually over his time at ECU and put up outstanding numbers as a Senior with 3,708 yards, 28 TDs, 5 INTs, and a 67.2 completion percentage. He's going to get noticed by NFL teams and could go a lot higher than several of the talking heads' favorites on day 3. If you don't mind a lefty and a guy that's mostly a pocket player, then you'll like this kid. He spins a great ball with good touch on the short throws and solid zip on the intermediate and deep throws.

7. CB Darrell Luter, South Alabama (6'0" 189)
Size, speed, agility, length, hands, it's all there. While he's not quite the ballhawk that Christian Benford was coming out, he's a near identical player that's going to get snaps in this league. If you're looking for a smoother operator that can play press, this is the type of guy you look for. He's a little high-cut to stick with shifty NFL slots but he has a strong pedigree as an outside player that can push receivers to play narrow windows on the boundary.

8. DT Jonah Tavai, San Diego State (6'0" 295)
If you're looking for a supremely energized bowling ball as a one-gap penetrator in a 4-3 on passing downs, this is the guy you want on your team. Tavia has two brothers that made it to the NFL so maybe we can think of the Tavai's as Watt Bros West. Tavai plays with an unbridled sense of urgency and makes plays all over the backfield with 106 tackles, 28 tfl, and 19 sacks over the past two seasons.

9. WR Jesse Matthews, San Diego State (6'0" 190)
Matthews runs solid routes and has excellent hands, plus he's really good at going up and getting the football. He's not going to wow athletically, having run in the low 4.5s, but that's fast enough with solid size to be an effective NFL possession WR and could even bump down to the slot where his skills might be best used. He doesn't have insane production but neither did anyone else on that SDSU offense for the most part. He's got a great back story as a former walk-on to star.

10. DT Devonnsha Maxwell, Tennessee-Chattanooga (6'3" 298)
Showed outstanding interior disruptive qualities on his way to 9 sacks, including against bigger programs like Syracuse and Illinois. He has good release at the snap with solid overall quickness, a solid spin move, and active hands. Needs to come off a bit lower and use better leverage to anchor but he's a solid late developmental guy in rotation as a 3 or 5 tech.

11. CB Nic Jones, Ball State (6'0" 189)
Similar to Luter in that he's going to fit best as a press-man outside corner with ball skills but lacks as many of the explosive traits as Luter does and isn't as good of a tackler. If you're looking for a guy that can make your roster and develop late in the draft, he's a solid fit.

12. RB Percy Agyei-Obese, James Madison (5'11" 215)
Agyei-Obese shows good initial quickness and vision to hit the hole with authority. He also has a solid jump cut to reset his direction and burst out of it to make it a worthwhile venture. Looks to have the juice to bounce it outside against NFL talent and enough long speed to be a threat.

13. TE Thomas Greaney, Albany (6'5" 253)
Greaney certainly looks to have enough quickness and speed to at least function as a backup NFL TE at some point but lacks the functional strength to be much right away, especially as a blocker. He has soft hands though and his agility will let him get open in the NFL. He might be a UDFA PS stash early but I think he's a guy you can take a chance on.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 05:15 AM 03-24-2023
Great write up! I've been on Fehoko for awhile now but most of the rest are new to me. Feels like DL & DB are really stacked in this year's draft!
[Reply]
Stryker 06:22 PM 03-24-2023
Crow, I love this! I think it fills out the roster very well. Great job as always brotha! :-)
[Reply]
ChiefsFan63 07:10 PM 03-24-2023
Very nice. I will be looking through your list on draft day.

Do you have any idea where these guys project?
[Reply]
kccrow 07:24 PM 03-24-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan63:
Very nice. I will be looking through your list on draft day.

Do you have any idea where these guys project?
Day 3 or UDFA with no real consistency in the rankings

Here's some approximations:

Fehoko and Laing - 4th
Johnson, Martin, and Ahlers - 5th
Tavai and Luter - 6th.
Stokes, Maxwell, and Jones - 7th.
The rest as UDFAs
[Reply]
kccrow 11:10 AM 04-30-2023
The results on this... I need to up my game, only 11/13 getting a shot. 4/13 drafted.

1. DE Viliami Fehoko, San Jose State (6'4" 276)
4th round selection by the Dallas Cowboys

2. S Quindell Johnson, Memphis (6'0" 195)
UDFA signing by the Los Angeles Rams

3. IOL Brent Laing, Minnesota-Duluth (6'4" 306)
UDFA signing by the New York Jets

4. WR Keylon Stokes, Tulsa (5'10" 194)
Nothing I'm aware of

5. DT Brodric Martin, Western Kentucky (6'5" 335)
3rd round selection by the Detroit Lions

6. QB Holton Ahlers, East Carolina (6'3" 237)
UDFA signing by the Seattle Seahawks

7. CB Darrell Luter, South Alabama (6'0" 189)
5th round selection by the San Francisco 49ers

8. DT Jonah Tavai, San Diego State (6'0" 295)
UDFA signing by the Seattle Seahawks

9. WR Jesse Matthews, San Diego State (6'0" 190)
UDFA signing by the Houston Texan

10. DT Devonnsha Maxwell, Tennessee-Chattanooga (6'3" 298)
UDFA signing by the Cincinnati Bengals

11. CB Nic Jones, Ball State (6'0" 189)
7th round selection by the Kansas City Chiefs

12. RB Percy Agyei-Obese, James Madison (5'11" 215)
Nothing I'm aware of

13. TE Thomas Greaney, Albany (6'5" 253)
UDFA signing by the Cleveland Browns
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:01 PM 04-30-2023
Holy crap, you called Jones! Wow!

Way to put your nose to the grindstone this season, crow.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 09:37 PM 04-30-2023
Kudos on the Nic Jones call out. :-)
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:43 PM 05-01-2023
Nice work crow!
[Reply]
Up