ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I think the rest of pre-draft plays out like this.
Direckshun 09:46 AM 03-20-2023
I think the Chiefs acquire Nuk for a 3rd rounder from the Cardinals in exchange for a 4th rounder. (The Chiefs will package at least a couple of those 4th rounders to move back into the 3rd.)

I think the Chiefs extend Nuk to a 3-year contract, lowering his 2023 cap hit. They also extend Chris Jones for a five year contract at whatever number Jones wants, in exchange for a ton of cap flexibility with him.

The Chiefs like to enter the draft with a playable roster, and the only things getting in the way of that are:
I think the Chiefs will add a plug-and-playable guy at DT prior to the draft. I think DT Shelby Harris makes some sense, given that he's better against the run than anyone we had on the roster last year, he offers some limited passrush juice, and there's a lot of overlap between the Chiefs and Seahawks defensive systems.

WR is really the ex-factor. I'd like DJ Chark to still be in the conversation, but it sounds like he's about to be a Panther. I think Veach wants OBJ more than Nuk -- he's chased him for two straight offseasons.

That would ostensibly give the Chiefs a depth chart of OBJ/Toney/MVS/Moore, and I think the Chiefs bring back Justin Watson, because he plays anywhere the Chiefs want him to and, as opposed to Hardman, plays special teams full time.

At RB, I think someone like the Commanders would outbid us for Jerrick McKinnon, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they just brought back Melvin Gordon, since they seem to have had a good rapport when he was on the roster and he does a lot of the things McKinnon does. I think someone else like D'Ernest Johnson from the Browns may make sense too in kind of a Ronald Jones role, but the team is still lacking for a true McKinnon type of they go that way.

I think the Chiefs do not trade Gay or Gray, like I've suggested in other posts. I do think they trade CEH, but for a 2024 conditional.

I also think Sneed is extended.

I think the one X-factor is that some team may swipe Tommy Townsend, but right now I don't think that will happen.

That will give the Chiefs the following roster prior to the draft:

QB: Mahomes, Buechele
RB: Pacheco, Gordon
FB: some guy

WR: Beckham, Toney, Valdez-Scantling, Moore, Watson
TE: Kelce, Gray, Fortson

LT: Taylor, Thuney
LG: Thuney, Allegretti
C: Humphrey, Allegretti
RG: Smith, Kinnard
RT: Niang, Wenogho

DE: Omenihu, Herring, Kaindoh
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Harris, Shelton
DE: Karlaftis, Danna

WLB: Gay, Tranquill
MLB: Bolton, Tranquill
SLB: Chenal, Cochrane

CB: Sneed, McDuffie, Watson, Williams, Johnson
S: Reid, Edwards, Cook

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester

The Chiefs will enter the draft, target the best offensive tackle they can get in the first round, and then build up the defensive line and add special teams talent as the draft goes on.

Maybe it looks like this:

1. DE Will McDonald
2. OT Blake Freeman
3. DT Kobie Turner
4. RB Deuce Vaughn
4. CB Jakorian Bennett
5. TE Zach Kuntz
6. full back
6. special teams/reserve safety
7. special teams/reserve WR
7. special teams/reserve LB

QB: Mahomes, Buechele
RB: Pacheco, Vaughn, Gordon
FB: pick

WR: Beckham, Toney, Valdez-Scantling, Moore, Watson, pick
TE: Kelce, Gray, Fortson, Kuntz

LT: Taylor, Thuney
LG: Thuney, Allegretti
C: Humphrey, Allegretti
RG: Smith, Kinnard
RT: Niang vs. Freeland, Wenogho

DE: Omenihu, McDonald, Herring, Kaindoh
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Harris, Turner, Shelton
DE: Karlaftis, Danna

WLB: Gay, Tranquill, pick
MLB: Bolton, Tranquill
SLB: Chenal, Cochrane

CB: Sneed, McDuffie, Watson, Williams, Bennett, Johnson
S: Reid, Edwards, Cook, pick

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester

The Chiefs scoop up the best reserve QB on the market in the summer, maybe add another RB at some point.

Voila, Super Bowl.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:52 AM 03-20-2023
We trading for Hopkins or signing OBJ? You list a trade but then have OBJ on your depth chart.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:56 AM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
We trading for Hopkins or signing OBJ? You list a trade but then have OBJ on your depth chart.
Veach wants OBJ so bad he can taste it.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:00 AM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Veach wants OBJ so bad he can taste it.
Still doesn't explain your depth chart. You think we're trading for Hopkins but you don't have him on the list.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:49 AM 03-21-2023
Shelby Harris would be a very good get, I agree. It's him and Wormley who are the stand outs left, after which there's a big drop off at DT imo. If we can add a Harris and OBJ in FA that to me is an exceptional FA period. Similarly if we got, say, DHop and a vet swing tackle like Cameron Fleming on the cheap.

Basically if from WR, NT and RT we can get 2 positions filled with upgrades on last year, that to me is huge. More likely I think we get one position upgraded, one maybe about level with last year and one a tick poorer, and then use the draft to try and improve in all 3.

Last year we had an awful RT and pretty terrible DTs - Saunders was fine but massively overrated here imo. Juju was decent but no more than that, same as Hardman. Looking at what's left at FA I think it's possible to bring in better players at DT and WR, but probably not have the same depth. RT is pretty up in the air.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:33 AM 03-21-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Still doesn't explain your depth chart. You think we're trading for Hopkins but you don't have him on the list.
Fair enough.

Take either/or, honestly.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:02 AM 03-21-2023
Shelby Harris ... I don't know man. He's been a 5T that could move to 3T but he's not a 1T by any stretch. At best, you're overpaying a guy to rotate with Jones OR you're suffering a similar fate to what would have been signing Hargrave and that's not as strong of run D to get more pass D. I'm not against it per se, I just don't know if it's what Spags will want as his starter there.

On Wormley, he tore his ACL in mid-December. He's not signing until sometime during the season IMO. I've been kind of pushing Jalen Guyton at WR but even he's a stretch at 7 months removed from his ACL tear, so I find him a doubtful sign until someone can look at him in June.

Armon Watts was just as productive as either of Harris or Wormley in 2021. He took a hot minute to get going in Chicago this year but he was solid down the stretch. He's a KC guy. I think he would be a nice hometown discount guy. I don't like A'Shawn Robinson's injury history but he's a tough plug when he's out there.

I can get behind re-signing Gordon. Nothing wrong with that. Let him compete.
[Reply]
Up