ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 14
« First < 41011121314
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
synthesis2 08:15 AM 03-04-2022
Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:39 AM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by kstater:
Every single cybertruck getting recalled.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk
Elon is playing 5d chess
[Reply]
MagicHef 09:41 AM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
I can see them having a test system or analyzer to make this kind of swap fair to both parties. I know on lead/acid batteries it exists but am not familiar with the technology on these new batteries.
I recently bought a lithium battery for the Jetski and it is much different.
Yeah, you can test the health of batteries. On cars.com, they report the battery health for the used EVs.
[Reply]
kstater 09:51 AM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Whoops.

It'll be fascinating to look back on Cybertruck in 10 years. On the surface, it looks like it's likely going to be a financial flop, but you could make an argument that it's done a pretty good job of keeping Tesla top of mind even while other EV manufacturers are (kinda) catching up.
If you subscribe to the any news is good news philosophy yeah

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:47 PM 04-19-2024
I can see them having a test system or analyzer to make this kind of swap fair to both parties. I know on lead/acid batteries it exists but am not familiar with the technology on these new batteries.
For this system to work, the car owner would no longer own the batteries at all.

Either the battery swap company would have to own them. Or some third party would.

The car owner would pay a rental or lease on the batteries. So if they got bad batteries, it wouldn't matter as far as swapping. Now it would suck as far as not getting the range you were promised.

Maybe the lease could include a guarantee that the swapped in batteries will be so good, or so good on average over the course of the year.
[Reply]
Valiant 03:51 PM 04-19-2024
I can imagine the theft rings of people stealing batteries will pop up and sell them on the black market or swap n shops. Or people with evs renting a car and swapping batteries. I am sure more rental companies will keep getting rid of their stocks.

Will be interesting to see how they go about the battery issue and swapping.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:22 PM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by Valiant:
I can imagine the theft rings of people stealing batteries will pop up and sell them on the black market or swap n shops. Or people with evs renting a car and swapping batteries. I am sure more rental companies will keep getting rid of their stocks.

Will be interesting to see how they go about the battery issue and swapping.
Yea, there would probably have to be a way to electronically scan to make sure the car owner returned the same batteries that were put in.

But I'm not very convinced battery swapping is ever going to be a thing. Super fast charging that gets you ~80% or something in a reasonable time strikes me as more likely.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:54 PM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Yea, there would probably have to be a way to electronically scan to make sure the car owner returned the same batteries that were put in.

But I'm not very convinced battery swapping is ever going to be a thing. Super fast charging that gets you ~80% or something in a reasonable time strikes me as more likely.
Agreed. Charging won't ever be as fast as fueling, but they're getting it fast enough to be bearable for most people.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 14
« First < 41011121314
Up