ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 29
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Royals Announce New Ballpark in "The Heart of Downtown KC"
Pablo 01:48 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Why does this need to be decided seven years before the current deal is over, especially with so many details being, at best, unpublished?
It needs to be decided before they have another embarrassing season and the 2025 property taxes shoot up again.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:59 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by Pablo:
It needs to be decided before they have another embarrassing season and the 2025 property taxes shoot up again.
I think we, as a county, need to hold out for a better deal where all the numbers and guarantees are on the table and understood, then decide.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:54 PM 03-21-2024
Why does this need to be decided seven years before the current deal is over, especially with so many details being, at best, unpublished?
https://apnews.com/article/royals-bo...5947e0cdfd5db7
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:12 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
https://apnews.com/article/royals-bo...5947e0cdfd5db7
Very good article, LOVE it. That said this quote concerns me:

"Sherman said during a news conference at Kauffman Stadium. “It’s really, really hard to draft and develop generational talent in this business, and it’s even harder to keep them in the same uniform, and that’s what this is really all about.”"

For the Royals it has been, I'm not sure it's as bad for other teams that are willing to pay to keep their talent and buy other team's talent. So it's wonderful that we kept Witt, but how many teams fear us buying their known/demonstrated talent to surround Witt with?

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question, perhaps the better question is how much cash has he told the team they have to shop and retain talent with?

And I'm actually a bit surprised at how emotional the topic is. Yikes..
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:31 PM 03-21-2024

"Sherman said during a news conference at Kauffman Stadium. “It’s really, really hard to draft and develop generational talent in this business, and it’s even harder to keep them in the same uniform, and that’s what this is really all about.”"

For the Royals it has been, I'm not sure it's as bad for other teams that are willing to pay to keep their talent and buy other team's talent. So it's wonderful that we kept Witt, but how many teams fear us buying their known/demonstrated talent to surround Witt with?

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question, perhaps the better question is how much cash has he told the team they have to shop and retain talent with?

Yeah, I'm not sure which is worse for the sport... the lack of a salary cap or teams not wanting to spend anything.

I think Beltran said he was staying in KC for 23 million/year (or whatever it was) and Glass told his agent "make him stay for 22"... and maybe that one specific story never even happened, but the point being cheap ass billionaire owners suck.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:03 PM 03-21-2024
Yeah, I'm not sure which is worse for the sport... the lack of a salary cap or teams not wanting to spend anything.

I think Beltran said he was staying in KC for 23 million/year (or whatever it was) and Glass told his agent "make him stay for 22"... and maybe that one specific story never even happened, but the point being cheap ass billionaire owners suck.
That's what makes the NFL so great, Salary cap Max and Minimum... Teams can't be cheap and teams can't outspend.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:28 PM 03-21-2024

It wasn’t even David Glass that said No. It was his Tommy Boy idiot son Dan Glass.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:36 PM 03-21-2024

How else are 40 year old dudes who are too fat to even walk going to play out their failed dreams?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:59 PM 03-21-2024
Wow this thing might actual fail :-)

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...eA4lLm73kyPr3c
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:03 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:

A pro-stadium poll has it almost even?

:-)
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 07:20 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:

The Chiefs and Royals want it to fail.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:23 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia:
The Chiefs and Royals want it to fail.
Sherman might make more money in Nashville sure.

But there isn't a market left for pro football in the long term..
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:43 PM 03-21-2024
Is there an actual plan or is it like the airport where they said, trust us... it'll be fine.

As far as I'm concerned, I've paid my dues. let them leave.

Still wondering how the Royals stadium was deemed to be unsafe yet Arrowhead, which was built at the same time by the same people, is fine. I guess you can pay an expert to come up with any conclusion.

Reality is that the 3/8 cent doesn't hurt me yet it's a burden on those people in Jackson county who will never go to a game and can barely afford to live anyways.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 08:03 PM 03-21-2024
This whole thing boils down to trust. People dont trust politicians and slick talkers like Sherman and Lucas

Jackson County homeowners are still steamed over the property tax fiasco a year ago that has yet to be resolved. Pile on Frank White wants to score a get even with the Royals for them passing him over in years past

I dont think the mayor has the credibility he thinks he has. His ego has told him he can do anything and he will be seen as a superstar. But folks are getting tired of his happy ass asking for more and more tax dollars for showboat projects and being promiced the world.

Airport was hard sell and this week we see the first airline leave for lack of business. Then we have the streetcar line that seems to be in constant need for more money. And we have an economy that is not just booming.

People dont believe the K is falling down while Arrowhead shines like new money. That does not pass the smell test for most. And the K s a beautiful baseball stadium.

The whole downtown idea has holes for a lot of people. Parking is a question in spite of the promove crowd saying its a non issue. Then the location sort of has a taint going for it. First it was one place, then maybe north of the river then another, then out of the blue its in the Crossroads. Existing businesses in the Crossroads got blindsided and many still say the Royals, mayor or whomever have not talked to them.

Who benefits from this deal? Mayor Q, Ex mayor Sly, every union contractor involved in tear down and build new, special interests for sure, Sherman stands to make out like Ali Baba and the 40 thieves. People who own the ground where new stadium will go get out of a very marginal realestate area with big bucks as a reward.

The Chiefs benefit but the PR value in a Chiefs improvement is huge, Royals not so much

And the special interest money for community stuff is a payoff to get special interests to back off.

Joe Working guy taxpayer has every reason to be not a fan

All that said, I bet it passes. But the next go round for tax incerreases will pay the price for Shermans gold
[Reply]
tk13 09:46 PM 03-21-2024
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
This whole thing boils down to trust. People dont trust politicians and slick talkers like Sherman and Lucas

Jackson County homeowners are still steamed over the property tax fiasco a year ago that has yet to be resolved. Pile on Frank White wants to score a get even with the Royals for them passing him over in years past

I dont think the mayor has the credibility he thinks he has. His ego has told him he can do anything and he will be seen as a superstar. But folks are getting tired of his happy ass asking for more and more tax dollars for showboat projects and being promiced the world.

Airport was hard sell and this week we see the first airline leave for lack of business. Then we have the streetcar line that seems to be in constant need for more money. And we have an economy that is not just booming.

People dont believe the K is falling down while Arrowhead shines like new money. That does not pass the smell test for most. And the K s a beautiful baseball stadium.

The whole downtown idea has holes for a lot of people. Parking is a question in spite of the promove crowd saying its a non issue. Then the location sort of has a taint going for it. First it was one place, then maybe north of the river then another, then out of the blue its in the Crossroads. Existing businesses in the Crossroads got blindsided and many still say the Royals, mayor or whomever have not talked to them.

Who benefits from this deal? Mayor Q, Ex mayor Sly, every union contractor involved in tear down and build new, special interests for sure, Sherman stands to make out like Ali Baba and the 40 thieves. People who own the ground where new stadium will go get out of a very marginal realestate area with big bucks as a reward.

The Chiefs benefit but the PR value in a Chiefs improvement is huge, Royals not so much

And the special interest money for community stuff is a payoff to get special interests to back off.

Joe Working guy taxpayer has every reason to be not a fan

All that said, I bet it passes. But the next go round for tax incerreases will pay the price for Shermans gold
Sherman finds a way to win no matter what probably but there's a lot on the line for Lucas, etc. This fails and the Chiefs have a real shot of moving to Kansas. That's a huge loss for KCMO so that's part of it too. The Royals have not done a good job during this process but the fact that people are acting like Sherman is some kind of slick guy and the Chiefs are innocently sitting back saying "aw shucks" is a little bit weird to me. Mark Donovan is flat out saying they are going to consider leaving KC if this doesn't fly. Sherman hasn't said anything like that.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 29
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Up