ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 26
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Media Center>Building a new PC
TambaBerry 06:12 PM 02-28-2023
Have a 3090 currently but am severely bottlenecked. Looking to get the best possible PC that I can build through microcenter in Kansas City. Looking for high end so like 13900k and ddr5 ram.
[Reply]
jd1020 07:28 AM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
This is where I'm at. Prices have really dropped. My old system (Phenom II X6) runs fine and I don't play many games or do much with it so the need for speed isn't there. The HDD speed is getting tiresome; waiting the extra 30 seconds for the system to do all the Windoze stuff when it starts. Plus, it's not Windoze 11 compatible so I'll have to do something about that as well.

The raytracing tech is cool; IMO, not sure how useful it will be in games because while you are admiring the cool visuals, some kid with everything turned to a minimum is sniping you in the head.
If the HDD is your biggest concern then just get a SATA SSD, not the m.2 form factor, and throw it in there for $50. Whenever you build a new computer you can put the SSD in it as an extra storage drive or whatever.

SATA 6gb/s came out in 2009 and your CPU is from 2010 so your motherboard probably has the ports.
[Reply]
Fish 08:22 AM 05-03-2023
This is where I'm at. Prices have really dropped. My old system (Phenom II X6) runs fine and I don't play many games or do much with it so the need for speed isn't there. The HDD speed is getting tiresome; waiting the extra 30 seconds for the system to do all the Windoze stuff when it starts. Plus, it's not Windoze 11 compatible so I'll have to do something about that as well.

The raytracing tech is cool; IMO, not sure how useful it will be in games because while you are admiring the cool visuals, some kid with everything turned to a minimum is sniping you in the head.
It's not either or. RTX has gotten this stigma that it's some unnecessary cosmetic toy that does nothing but impede performance. But that's just sour grapes from people with low end systems. Ray tracing, soon to be replaced with path tracing, is the clear future of gaming. It's the most immersive experience you can get. Anyone with a system capable of actually running it, isn't turning it off for performance reasons. It looks too good, and with a decent system it doesn't impede performance. It's like watching a movie in 4K vs. 720p format. Sure, you don't need 4K format to experience a movie, but once you see how much better it is, standard format feels really lacking.

Kids running cheap systems with settings at minimum aren't beating other gamers because of RTX performance.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 05:53 PM 05-03-2023

Just get a SSD or M2 Nvme…. They make a world of difference
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:27 PM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
It's not either or. RTX has gotten this stigma that it's some unnecessary cosmetic toy that does nothing but impede performance. But that's just sour grapes from people with low end systems. Ray tracing, soon to be replaced with path tracing, is the clear future of gaming. It's the most immersive experience you can get. Anyone with a system capable of actually running it, isn't turning it off for performance reasons. It looks too good, and with a decent system it doesn't impede performance. It's like watching a movie in 4K vs. 720p format. Sure, you don't need 4K format to experience a movie, but once you see how much better it is, standard format feels really lacking.

Kids running cheap systems with settings at minimum aren't beating other gamers because of RTX performance.
Didn't mean to imply that it's not interesting technology or not necessary for some people; it's in the primitive stages of development and requires a high end system to take advantage of it. Like a lot (most) hardware developments, the software is always lagging behind.

Perhaps because I'm an old guy, I appreciate the content of the movie over the fancy CGI. There's a lot of movies today that are what I would call beautiful garbage. I'm sure Dr. Strange 2 looks great in 4k; that doesn't change the fact that it was total garbage. Maybe Wanda looks better in 4k...

What exactly is a cheap system? it's possible to build a pretty strong gaming system for 1.5k or less.
[Reply]
jd1020 06:27 PM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Just get a SSD or M2 Nvme…. They make a world of difference
I probably wouldn't advise getting a M.2 anything when his motherboard came out 3 years before M.2 which was 3 years before it was offered on personal computer hardware.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:38 PM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I probably wouldn't advise getting a M.2 anything when his motherboard came out 3 years before M.2 which was 3 years before it was offered on personal computer hardware.
It's time to dump the 2009 technology and move into the 2020s. Ryzen 5600X, DDR4, etc. Can use my Win10 key and upgrade to Win11. I've got a 590 video card still new in box; should have sold it when the crypto craze was in full bore.

Going to donate my old computer stuff; it's old however it's better than what some people have which is nothing.
[Reply]
jd1020 06:46 PM 05-03-2023
It's time to dump the 2009 technology and move into the 2020s. Ryzen 5600X, DDR4, etc. Can use my Win10 key and upgrade to Win11. I've got a 590 video card still new in box; should have sold it when the crypto craze was in full bore.

Going to donate my old computer stuff; it's old however it's better than what some people have which is nothing.
I'd get a 5700X personally.

I dont see much purpose in the 5600X. It's only 2% better than the 5600 for $30 more. The 5700X bumps you to 8/16.
[Reply]
Pants 08:23 PM 05-03-2023
It's still a ridiculous amount to spend on a GPU and I kind of hate myself for doing it, but you can now get an RTX 4080 for like $1,100, guys.

M.2 SSDs are super cheap. I mean you can get an incredibly good 1 TB 980 Pro for like $80.

ATX 3.0 power supplies are now reasonable.

DDR5 memory is "cheap" cheap.

If you have a Micro Center near you, they have insane bundles that don't even make sense. I mean an i7 13700K + a nice Asus mobo + 32GBs of DDR5 RAM is $549. HOW?

Less than 2 years ago, people were paying $2,000 for RTX 3060 systems.

Now, for $2000 you get a goddamn beast that will slice through 1440 max settings with crazy FPS like it's damn 720.

14th gen Intel is about to come out and will be a new socket and that's probably the only drawback of building now. Or you can just go with an AM5 Ryzen and be set for the foreseeable future.

It really is a great time for PCs again. Or maybe it just feels like it after the great COVID shortages and scalping. Rebounding is real.
[Reply]
Fish 10:23 PM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by Pants:
It's still a ridiculous amount to spend on a GPU and I kind of hate myself for doing it, but you can now get an RTX 4080 for like $1,100, guys.

M.2 SSDs are super cheap. I mean you can get an incredibly good 1 TB 980 Pro for like $80.

ATX 3.0 power supplies are now reasonable.

DDR5 memory is "cheap" cheap.

If you have a Micro Center near you, they have insane bundles that don't even make sense. I mean an i7 13700K + a nice Asus mobo + 32GBs of DDR5 RAM is $549. HOW?

Less than 2 years ago, people were paying $2,000 for RTX 3060 systems.

Now, for $2000 you get a goddamn beast that will slice through 1440 max settings with crazy FPS like it's damn 720.

14th gen Intel is about to come out and will be a new socket and that's probably the only drawback of building now. Or you can just go with an AM5 Ryzen and be set for the foreseeable future.

It really is a great time for PCs again. Or maybe it just feels like it after the great COVID shortages and scalping. Rebounding is real.
This is the way. My setup was running fine, and I didn't really need to upgrade, but prices have been so incredible I bit the bullet last week as well. My previous setup was starting to get slightly CPU bottlenecked in some new games.

I just upgraded MOBO/CPU/RAM/CPU fan/case fans. MOBO I purchased for 60% off. The RAM had been $289 dollars for months on my Amazon wish list, and suddenly dropped to $104. Even Microcenter has prices on products that are now hundreds of dollars lower at the register compared to what the sticker price says. Sporting 3 NVME drives, for Windows and gaming storage. 2 large SSDs for general data storage.

New setup is pretty fucking impressive. ASUS AIOC is just as cool as I expected. You basically turn on AI monitoring in BIOS, and run some stress tests in the OS on your system. The mobo uses AI to dynamically learn your system's capabilities/cooling over time, and will constantly adjust an overclock as aggressively as you want to. I'm currently running an i5-12600K at 5.3Ghz, and my CPU is at 35 degrees. Under heavy load, it dips down to ~5Ghz at most. At really heavy load, it dips down to 4.7-4.8ish.
Haven't topped 70 degrees even in stress tests. It basically adjusts your performance as much as possible depending on the load and cooling at the present time. And finally consolidated all PC RGB lighting to a single ASUS Aura source. Feels good.

New PC equipment is expensive, but damn if it isn't satisfying once you see the results.
[Reply]
Pants 11:15 PM 05-03-2023
This is the way. My setup was running fine, and I didn't really need to upgrade, but prices have been so incredible I bit the bullet last week as well. My previous setup was starting to get slightly CPU bottlenecked in some new games.

I just upgraded MOBO/CPU/RAM/CPU fan/case fans. MOBO I purchased for 60% off. The RAM had been $289 dollars for months on my Amazon wish list, and suddenly dropped to $104. Even Microcenter has prices on products that are now hundreds of dollars lower at the register compared to what the sticker price says. Sporting 3 NVME drives, for Windows and gaming storage. 2 large SSDs for general data storage.

New setup is pretty fucking impressive. ASUS AIOC is just as cool as I expected. You basically turn on AI monitoring in BIOS, and run some stress tests in the OS on your system. The mobo uses AI to dynamically learn your system's capabilities/cooling over time, and will constantly adjust an overclock as aggressively as you want to. I'm currently running an i5-12600K at 5.3Ghz, and my CPU is at 35 degrees. Under heavy load, it dips down to ~5Ghz at most. At really heavy load, it dips down to 4.7-4.8ish.
Haven't topped 70 degrees even in stress tests. It basically adjusts your performance as much as possible depending on the load and cooling at the present time. And finally consolidated all PC RGB lighting to a single ASUS Aura source. Feels good.

New PC equipment is expensive, but damn if it isn't satisfying once you see the results.
That's so awesome. Congrats, man. My 4080 and PSU are coming from Newegg on Friday (Micro Center doesn't price match promo codes, I guess, so I had to return those and go through Newegg to save myself another $80). Worth waiting a few more days, IMO. Can't wait to put this thing together, though.
[Reply]
Fish 08:24 AM 05-04-2023
That's so awesome. Congrats, man. My 4080 and PSU are coming from Newegg on Friday (Micro Center doesn't price match promo codes, I guess, so I had to return those and go through Newegg to save myself another $80). Worth waiting a few more days, IMO. Can't wait to put this thing together, though.
4080 seems to be the perfect price for performance choice at the moment. Let us know how it goes.
[Reply]
Fish 08:34 AM 05-04-2023
5.4Ghz at idle. LOL AI... I've seen it bump up to 5.7Ghz at times. Still learning...

[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:33 AM 05-04-2023
5.4Ghz at idle. LOL AI... I've seen it bump up to 5.7Ghz at times. Still learning...

Damn,

Thats fucking insane.
[Reply]
Pants 09:51 PM 05-04-2023

Jeezus. Does that OC AI come with every ASUS mobo UEFI?
[Reply]
Fish 10:09 PM 05-04-2023
Jeezus. Does that OC AI come with every ASUS mobo UEFI?
Nope, only their higher end models. And only works with Intel. :-)

Here's the list:

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME GLACIAL
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI
ROG STRIX Z690-G GAMING WIFI
ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI
ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI