ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 63
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:54 PM 09-24-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
:-)

If so, that's appalling. The way I understood it he was whacked because he complained that they weren't going along with canon.

The one thing that saves it for me, and will probably continue to, is the martial aspect of it. I don't want saving whales or battling the moral implications of violating the prime directive because somebody saw a Vulcan with his knit cap off. I want space battles. I want strong nasty villains. Keep that coming and I'll find a way to deal with gorilla klingons and the goofy uniforms and ship designs.
That's not why Bryan Fuller left. He actually wasn't whacked. There is a reason the Klingons look the way they do but it's hard to accept.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:07 AM 09-25-2017
What's good?

The SFX, camera work, set design and other aesthetics were awesome even considering Abramsesque overuse of lens flares. Martin-Green, Yeoh, Jones and Frain were good in their respective roles. Setting Burnham's backstory as being a Vulcan-trained human accomplishes a few things in allowing for Burnham to be Mr(s). Exposition to explain the science-y points of the story for audience convenience when necessary, gives her credibility as an expert when they need to McGuyver the story out of jams without pushing the limits of the suspension of disbelief, and the background to meld the martial aspect of a Klingon War centric show with the noble aims of a Starfleet by coming to the conclusion that they have to act violently in order to win peace. Further, the show centering the main plot by following an XO rather than a captain is a nice little departure from the last four modern-era Trek series and allows for some natural drama as we see with Burnham's putsch and will probably see later.

What's not so good?

The whiplash-inducing pace of the first 20 minutes or so where Burnham and Georgiou seem to teleport around the desert planet for the clearest example though that seemed to stop once the T'Kuvma started his plan to become the Ghenghis Khan of Qo'nos, the CBS Access app and charging for it (though I guess it's nice if you want to watch both the new and old versions of the Odd Couple and other CBS-owned franchises), the rejiggling of the Klingon culture, the dialogue being a little repetitive and stilted though I appreciate the repetitiveness in some aspects like the EVA checklists and other spaceship related operations minutae because I feel like they are at least making it a soft Sci-Fi story rather than Space Fantasy or Opera where science-based details and plots are hand waved away and establishes some mundane 'realism'.

What's leaving me saying... huh?

What timeline is the show following and what differences are there in the canon from the Roddenberry / Berman & Braga or Abrams' universes, the Daft Punk bridge officer robot (?) on the Shenzhou, comms officers wearing cybernetics (?), space ships with negative space design features (but why?), the ginormous bridge on the Shenzhou, why an unambiguously female (..or not?) character has an unambiguously male name, including some TOS area sound effects with Abrams-trek era visuals... Maybe more will come to mind if I rewatch it.

Above all it's definitely a change from Berman and Braga-era trek but not quite what I expected from the Trek we saw in the last three big screen releases, though I must admit not seeing the last Abrams' Trek movie.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:34 AM 09-25-2017
I don't know if Yeoh is just not a good actress or if her character is supposed to be wooden, but I found scenes where she was heavily involved to just be dragging and weak. It seems unlikely that she's going to be a true 'lead' going forward and that's a good thing because she most certainly didn't feel up to the task to me.

But Martin-Green kicked ass and I suspect she'll be the centerpiece going forward (even with Isaacs around, who is one of my favorite actors).

That said...I can't see much of a chance of me signing up for another subscription service to see it. Maybe if I were a cord-cutter and not already paying ungodly sums for DirecTV, but I'm not chipping anything else into the kitty here.
[Reply]
unlurking 01:56 PM 09-25-2017
Nothing on CBS I watch, so no way I pay $10 a month for a single show no matter how good it is. HBO has half a dozen shows I watch and I still only subscribe half the year.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:59 PM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Nothing on CBS I watch, so no way I pay $10 a month for a single show no matter how good it is. HBO has half a dozen shows I watch and I still only subscribe half the year.
That reminds me - I need to cancel that shit until Westworld starts back up.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:00 PM 09-25-2017
HBO is evidently developing a 'Watchmen' series.

Sold. I am one of the few people that actually liked that movie. I think a series could be friggen awesome.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 02:03 PM 09-25-2017
I enjoyed it.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:06 PM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
HBO is evidently developing a 'Watchmen' series.

Sold. I am one of the few people that actually liked that movie. I think a series could be friggen awesome.
I loved it - primarily because I knew absolutely nothing about it and was just expecting another mindless, by-the-numbers superhero movie. It was anything but that.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:52 PM 09-25-2017
Guys, if you're not doing Sunday Ticket, Direct TV NOW is the best deal, bar none.

The highest package has more than 130 channels at $70 a month. HBO and Cinemax are an additional $5 dollars while Starz and Showtime are $8 each.

Total bill is $96 dollars.

Download the Roku app and try a week for free to see if local channels are available in your area. They're making new agreements every day and it's just a matter of time before they have nationwide coverage.
[Reply]
notorious 04:06 PM 09-25-2017
I just finished the first episode and it is pretty damn good.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:16 PM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I loved it - primarily because I knew absolutely nothing about it and was just expecting another mindless, by-the-numbers superhero movie. It was anything but that.
Same.

I was running channels one day and saw Malin Akerman looking damn good so I stopped and watched. I didn't know a thing about the source material so I wasn't grumpy about...well whatever it is the graphic novel folks are grumpy about.

It was different and visually appealing. It was dark and thoughtful and had an interesting villain. I thought it was good.
[Reply]
unlurking 04:21 PM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Guys, if you're not doing Sunday Ticket, Direct TV NOW is the best deal, bar none.

The highest package has more than 130 channels at $70 a month. HBO and Cinemax are an additional $5 dollars while Starz and Showtime are $8 each.

Total bill is $96 dollars.

Download the Roku app and try a week for free to see if local channels are available in your area. They're making new agreements every day and it's just a matter of time before they have nationwide coverage.
Does not work on Linux. DirecTV decided to refund my payment (twice) rather than troubleshoot. Includes commercials, does not work on all channel websites (SyFy was not supported last time I tried), and no DVR capability with less on demand than my current Hulu package.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:48 PM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Does not work on Linux. DirecTV decided to refund my payment (twice) rather than troubleshoot. Includes commercials, does not work on all channel websites (SyFy was not supported last time I tried), and no DVR capability with less on demand than my current Hulu package.
Direct TV NOW is for Roku only.

If you download the channel apps to your Roku, you can sign in using your Direct TV account and stream any channel that you pay for in the selected package.

I only have one DVR but 6 Roku's. It's great for the kids because they have access to everything Disney and Nick without need to record.

Direct TV NOW isn't the Direct TV mobile app.
[Reply]
unlurking 05:02 PM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Direct TV NOW is for Roku only.

If you download the channel apps to your Roku, you can sign in using your Direct TV account and stream any channel that you pay for in the selected package.

I only have one DVR but 6 Roku's. It's great for the kids because they have access to everything Disney and Nick without need to record.

Direct TV NOW isn't the Direct TV mobile app.
DirecTV Now is not only Roku.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/212447843

I've signed up twice, the second time because they said the resolved the issues with Chrome on Linux.

I don't use Roku. I have an Nvidia SHIELD on my 4K TV, but 90% of my TV viewing is at my desk via laptop and 32" monitor while I'm working.
[Reply]
unlurking 05:04 PM 09-25-2017
Looks like they finally added SyFy...

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us...nd-mobile-apps

If they ever add DVR and fix Chrome on Linux I'll sign back up.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 63
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up