ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 26
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Media Center>Building a new PC
TambaBerry 06:12 PM 02-28-2023
Have a 3090 currently but am severely bottlenecked. Looking to get the best possible PC that I can build through microcenter in Kansas City. Looking for high end so like 13900k and ddr5 ram.
[Reply]
jd1020 05:04 AM 04-30-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
No offense, but Windows load times aren't really a good indicator of overall performance in most cases. It's as simple as read/write times, and there's really no argument when you break down the numbers. The difference on average is ~350MB/s compared to ~3500MB/s. You're going to notice that difference in many more areas other than just large file transfers.
The average user really wont.

Linus has done a video on this. I have 2 computers at home, one with 2 NVMe's and one with 2 SATA drives and dont notice a difference.

You can break down the numbers all you want. Yes NVMe's are faster, no question. The average user wont feel that difference because there's this thing called diminishing returns and if someone isnt going to be using anything that will take advantage of that extra speed they wont notice it.
[Reply]
Fish 11:26 AM 04-30-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
The average user really wont.

Linus has done a video on this. I have 2 computers at home, one with 2 NVMe's and one with 2 SATA drives and dont notice a difference.

You can break down the numbers all you want. Yes NVMe's are faster, no question. The average user wont feel that difference because there's this thing called diminishing returns and if someone isnt going to be using anything that will take advantage of that extra speed they wont notice it.
If you cannot tell any difference when data is being transferred 25 times faster, then I'm not really sure what to tell you. Stick with SSDs I guess. They're literally the same price at this point so I'm not sure what diminishing returns you're worried about, but whatever.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:16 PM 04-30-2023
If you cannot tell any difference when data is being transferred 25 times faster, then I'm not really sure what to tell you. Stick with SSDs I guess. They're literally the same price at this point so I'm not sure what diminishing returns you're worried about, but whatever.
You could tell me that most data an average user works with on an every day basis would be shit cached in memory or stuff that a CPU will bottleneck making the 25x faster speed obsolete, but to each their own.

We aren't talking about someone buying a SATA SSD vs a NVMe. If someone is building a new computer then sure, grab a NVMe unless you are talking about large storage in which case SATA is probably still the route to go. We are talking about someone who I assume is a gamer given that he mentioned he has a 3070 Ti and was asking about NVMe drives compared to his SATA SSD, in which case save the money and keep the SATA. Get a NVMe when you are building a whole new computer.

But what do I and Linus know.
[Reply]
Fish 12:29 PM 04-30-2023
You could tell me that most data an average user works with on an every day basis would be shit cached in memory or stuff that a CPU will bottleneck making the 25x faster speed obsolete, but to each their own.

We aren't talking about someone buying a SATA SSD vs a NVMe. If someone is building a new computer then sure, grab a NVMe unless you are talking about large storage in which case SATA is probably still the route to go. We are talking about someone who I assume is a gamer given that he mentioned he has a 3070 Ti and was asking about NVMe drives compared to his SATA SSD, in which case save the money and keep the SATA. Get a NVMe when you are building a whole new computer.

But what do I and Linus know.
I'm not sure why you're arguing this. Faster data transfers benefit everything a PC does, including gaming. And a data transfer 25 times faster is absolutely noticeable.

Again, there is no money to save. NVME drives are the same price as their much slower SSD counterparts. In many cases, they're cheaper.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:33 PM 04-30-2023
I'm not sure why you're arguing this. Faster data transfers benefit everything a PC does, including gaming. And a data transfer 25 times faster is absolutely noticeable.

Again, there is no money to save. NVME drives are the same price as their much slower SSD counterparts. In many cases, they're cheaper.
You are really really slow.

The noticeable difference between an every day gamer is fucking 1-2 seconds. If you think you could tell the difference in a blind test you are delusional.

And do you not understand context of the situation? The money to save is the price of an entire replacement drive just to gain that 1 second in load time. It's not fucking worth it. But its your money.

I've actually learned a lot from you in this thread. Like how AMD is behind in gaming CPU performance and now how much more noticeable the performance of an NVMe drive is in every day average computing/gaming compared to a SATA.

You go ahead and continue reading the advertisement brochure's and I'll continue telling people what the fuck it means in real word processes. It's their choice what they want to do with their money.
[Reply]
Fish 01:23 PM 04-30-2023
You are really really slow.

The noticeable difference between an every day gamer is fucking 1-2 seconds. If you think you could tell the difference in a blind test you are delusional.

And do you not understand context of the situation? The money to save is the price of an entire replacement drive just to gain that 1 second in load time. It's not fucking worth it. But its your money.

I've actually learned a lot from you in this thread. Like how AMD is behind in gaming CPU performance and now how much more noticeable the performance of an NVMe drive is in every day average computing/gaming compared to a SATA.

You go ahead and continue reading the advertisement brochure's and I'll continue telling people what the fuck it means in real word processes. It's their choice what they want to do with their money.
Ahh, you're just butthurt about the AMD discussion. I see.

You admit that there's a 1-2 second difference, and then follow that up saying you couldn't tell the difference blindly.

Whatever, not worth it.
[Reply]
jd1020 01:25 PM 04-30-2023
Ahh, you're just butthurt about the AMD discussion. I see.

You admit that there's a 1-2 second difference, and then follow that up saying you couldn't tell the difference blindly.

Whatever, not worth it.
Why would I ever be butthurt by something you are clearly wrong about? You were so fucking dishonest about that whole situation that you brought up tomshardware as the defacto unbiased review site and 5 days before you posted your bullshit they had articles on their site labeling AMD's X3D CPU's as the king of gaming. It was pretty god damn hilarious.

And yes there is a clear difference between measurable and blind. That should be pretty obvious. But hey, if dropping $120 to replace a SATA drive with NVMe is worth 1 second then by all means.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:56 PM 04-30-2023
Do a test of it in video games, anyway to make it faster helps fps
[Reply]
jd1020 07:18 PM 04-30-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Do a test of it in video games, anyway to make it faster helps fps
Storage has basically nothing to do with FPS in game. At best you might be talking about some minimal gains in 1% lows from micro stutters in open world shit loading objects as you roam.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:34 PM 05-01-2023
someone want to explain this to me? is the difference in brand THAT much?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForc...orig_cvip=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-Ge...orig_cvip=true
[Reply]
jd1020 04:40 PM 05-01-2023
The more expensive card is an EVGA FTW card which was pretty much the premier card when EVGA was still making cards. The cheaper one is basically a reference card. Regardless, I wouldn't think the price gap would be that much. But, the seller for the cheaper one virtually has no history on eBay and doesn't say shit about the card in the description other than the model number which is already in the picture. The other guy has over 200 transactions and tells you how the card was used.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:02 AM 05-02-2023
Intel vs AMD...

Ford vs Chevy...

Each has their advantages and computers are so powerful and cheap. I've stuck with AMD although my next build might be Intel. I'm usually buying the prior generation parts and building systems at about 1/2 the cost of new.

All the talk of SSD vs NVE speeds; compare either of those to HDD and both are blazingly fast. And no matter how fast your computer is now, eventually you will be tired of waiting the 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. seconds for it to boot.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:35 AM 05-02-2023
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Intel vs AMD...

Ford vs Chevy...

Each has their advantages and computers are so powerful and cheap. I've stuck with AMD although my next build might be Intel. I'm usually buying the prior generation parts and building systems at about 1/2 the cost of new.

All the talk of SSD vs NVE speeds; compare either of those to HDD and both are blazingly fast. And no matter how fast your computer is now, eventually you will be tired of waiting the 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. seconds for it to boot.
I was all Intel until my last and current computer that is AMD. Went with AMD because their CPUs became real competitive and while Intel still held onto a slight lead in gaming performance at the time, AMD was vastly superior in everything else. AMD also promised to support the socket for 5 years, which had 3 years remaining when I built my system. Meanwhile, Intel was over there adding a single pin in a tik-tok cycle making it if you wanted to upgrade your system you pretty much had to build a whole new fucking computer.

I haven't dug into how AMD is going to treat AM5, but it's probably the exact opposite for me today. AMD holds the edge in gaming, but to get that edge they sacrificed the rest. So, I would probably go back to Intel today. But I've got 2 generations worth of parts to upgrade my current system to hold me over for the next 5+ years.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:07 PM 05-02-2023
Just bought and installed a Ryzen 5600x, very happy with the performance.

Next upgrade is going to be GPU... Seriously considering going back to Nvidia because 3060 series is by far the best bang for the buck.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:23 AM 05-03-2023
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Just bought and installed a Ryzen 5600x, very happy with the performance.

Next upgrade is going to be GPU... Seriously considering going back to Nvidia because 3060 series is by far the best bang for the buck.
This is where I'm at. Prices have really dropped. My old system (Phenom II X6) runs fine and I don't play many games or do much with it so the need for speed isn't there. The HDD speed is getting tiresome; waiting the extra 30 seconds for the system to do all the Windoze stuff when it starts. Plus, it's not Windoze 11 compatible so I'll have to do something about that as well.

The raytracing tech is cool; IMO, not sure how useful it will be in games because while you are admiring the cool visuals, some kid with everything turned to a minimum is sniping you in the head.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 26
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up