ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 56
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Jr signs with Bengals
ShowtimeSBMVP 08:19 PM 03-15-2023

Sources: Four-time Pro Bowl tackle and Super Bowl champ Orlando Brown Jr. is finalizing a four-year, $64.092 million front-loaded deal with the #Bengals that includes an over $31M signing bonus — largest ever for an o-lineman.

Brown’s agent, Michael Portner, confirmed the deal. pic.twitter.com/GFFZX0zLrs

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 16, 2023

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:43 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by wazu:
Same. I don't get how this really just happened. OBJ is getting a shit deal to go to our #1 rival, while we pay another guy way more to switch from RT to LT.
Because Brown is just a weird motherfucker who has always been a weird motherfucker and is blaming everyone but himself for a series of poor choices he's made.

I've never rooted against him and deep down thought he'd re-sign.

But if 'I want to play KC in the postseason' was really a motivating factor in him signing a deal - I hope this motherfucker gets ass cancer.

What an absolute cunt.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:43 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by wazu:
Same. I don't get how this really just happened. OBJ is getting a shit deal to go to our #1 rival, while we pay another guy way more to switch from RT to LT.
Yes, we kinda get screwed because OBJ is an idiot. I dont have any problem with the contract he got with Cincinnati. With that said, our guys will be extra motivated to beat the piss out of him to get to Burrow.

Pros: Taylor is younger, more athletic, fits our scheme better, more upside.

Cons: We paid more for an inferior player. Our rival gets a great deal.

And honest not much the Chiefs can do. They tried. They just get screwed on the whole thing.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:44 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Seth Keysor already charted Taylor against the top pass rushers he faced last season and compared it to a similar sample from OBJ.
I read the Keysor piece. And I know he was really excited about him.

But the guy is a notoriously bad run blocker (and if I recall that wasn't covered in the article in anything more than a snippet) and it's still a transition to go from RT to LT.

And he's more expensive than OBJ (at least surface AAV). And at least we know OBJ was well-liked inside the lockerroom.

As I said, it's a close call. And ultimately if Veach/Reid liked Taylor more than Brown, it's a no-brainer.

I just didn't think the money on their deals would be comparable enough for us to even be having this conversation. I think 90% of us would've been thrilled if we kept OBJ on that deal.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:45 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I think I would've slightly preferred OBJ at that price point to Williams given continuity, etc, but Veach may have pivoted earlier and OBJ's demands may have only dropped as the last couple days evolved.

Regardless, it's a close call and it'll be fun having new blood on the OL that we think has a higher ceiling.
Well I think Brown thought he was going to be successful holding KC hostage.

And there wasn't anyway for V to prove him wrong until he went out and signed somebody else at which point it was too late.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:45 PM 03-15-2023
Cincy however just committed alot of money to an average tackle that sucks against speed rushers and they have star contracts inbound.
[Reply]
FANATIC 09:46 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Yes, we kinda get screwed because OBJ is an idiot. I dont have any problem with the contract he got with Cincinnati. With that said, our guys will be extra motivated to beat the piss out of him to get to Burrow.

Pros: Taylor is younger, more athletic, fits our scheme better, more upside.

Cons: We paid more for an inferior player. Our rival gets a great deal.

And honest not much the Chiefs can do. They tried. They just get screwed on the whole thing.
yep
[Reply]
T-post Tom 09:47 PM 03-15-2023
Trojan horse. He will be giving up sacks when the Chiefs beat the Bengals in next year’s AFC championship game. All part of the master plan. :-)
[Reply]
Balto 09:49 PM 03-15-2023
What’s funny is that Cinnzy actually runs less than we do haha
[Reply]
cdcox 09:50 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by DRM08:
There's gotta be an espionage aspect to this deal. They saw their DL give Orlando plenty of trouble. But maybe they are hoping to gain knowledge of KC's playbook and such.
I think Andy’s playbook turns over at least twice per season. All the TD passes to McKinnon appeared at mid-season. By the SB, we had the identical TD passes to Toney and Skyy, that were brand new. I don’t think that knowledge will be worth anything next season.
[Reply]
FANATIC 09:50 PM 03-15-2023

But the guy is a notoriously bad run blocker (and if I recall that wasn't covered in the article in anything more than a snippet) and it's still a transition to go from RT to LT.

And he's more expensive than OBJ (at least surface AAV). And at least we know OBJ was well-liked inside the lockerroom.

As I said, it's a close call. And ultimately if Veach/Reid liked Taylor more than Brown, it's a no-brainer.

I just didn't think the money on their deals would be comparable enough for us to even be having this conversation. I think 90% of us would've been thrilled if we kept OBJ on that deal.
So Brown stated he gets to stay/play left tackle BLAH BLAH BLAH. Maybe KC wanted him to move back to RT?
[Reply]
jettio 09:51 PM 03-15-2023
Orlando Brown Jr. has done pretty good for himself considering the setback from his combine made him a 3rd round pick whose film at OU had him projected higher.

Chiefs were very fortunate that he had ambition to be a left tackle and that he had good enough personal relationships with Ravens that he could be traded when he was not going to be paid much for his 4th season.

Chiefs got Pro Bowl LT play for $10 million per year for 2 seasons.

He signed his franchise tag right away last March and only missed a couple days of training camp.

He came to camp in 2022 at his best weight and kept his fitness up for the whole season.

He played through injury early in the season and even though the chiefs planet crowd graded Brown and Wylie harshly with no regard for what caliber of players they were facing, he had a solid year.

Brown seems to get along well with teammates.

Ravens would not have traded Brown if they knew that Ronnie Stanley would miss almost every snap in 2021, after suffering ankle injury the weekend after signing his mega deal in 2020 and missing rest of 2020, all but a few snaps in 2021 and the first 6 games of 2022.

Apparently, Chiefs pro scouting has graded Jawaan Taylor super high.

Chiefs offer to Taylor says that Brown and his agent were right to call the unrealistically high 6th year in last year's offer to be cosmetic bullshit. Seems like Veach took that to heart and maybe Chiefs will not bother with that bullshit number in final year offer anymore.

Brown is making plenty of money for a 3rd round pick and he has outperformed a lot of players taken before him.

It may be a little humbling to sign a deal that looks like less than the horseshit offer the Chiefs put him front of him last year, but he is still making plenty of money and will be playing for a competitive team with elite players.

Chiefs were lucky as hell to have him for 2 years and I respect that he believed in himself enough to ask out of Baltimore and do it in a way that the Ravens accommodated him without animosity.

Funny to watch the meltdown in this thread badmouthing a guy that showed up to work and met expectations playing a premium position.

If Chiefs are able to beat Bengals in upcoming seasons, there will be a lot of reasons for that ahead of Brown being the Bengals LT and being called poor for making almost a million dollars a game.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:51 PM 03-15-2023

Yes, I was in the move on from Brown crowd but I can't see turning that down
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:52 PM 03-15-2023

Myles Garrett vs Orlando Brown in a huge 3rd down.

Sack.pic.twitter.com/fbCCeg8BBE

— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) September 12, 2021

Against Kansas City's Orlando Brown Jr., #Browns Myles Garrett generated 8 pressures on 32 pass-rush snaps (25% pressure rate), his best performance since Week 4 of 2020, before injuries and COVID-19 pic.twitter.com/nkSadjwk1m

— Sam Penix (@Sam_Penix) September 13, 2021

[Reply]
suzzer99 09:52 PM 03-15-2023
We need to find the best speed rusher left on the market or that we can move up in the draft to get.

I head Dee Ford is a free agent. :-)
[Reply]
FANATIC 09:53 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by jettio:
Orlando Brown Jr. has done pretty good for himself considering the setback from his combine made him a 3rd round pick whose film at OU had him projected higher.

Chiefs were very fortunate that he had ambition to be a left tackle and that he had good enough personal relationships with Ravens that he could be traded when he was not going to be paid much for his 4th season.

Chiefs got Pro Bowl LT play for $10 million per year for 2 seasons.

He signed his franchise tag right away last March and only missed a couple days of training camp.

He came to camp in 2022 at his best weight and kept his fitness up for the whole season.

He played through injury early in the season and even though the chiefs planet crowd graded Brown and Wylie harshly with no regard for what caliber of players they were facing, he had a solid year.

Brown seems to get along well with teammates.

Ravens would not have traded Brown if they knew that Ronnie Stanley would miss almost every snap in 2021, after suffering ankle injury the weekend after signing his mega deal in 2020 and missing rest of 2020, all but a few snaps in 2021 and the first 6 games of 2022.

Apparently, Chiefs pro scouting has graded Jawaan Taylor super high.

Chiefs offer to Taylor says that Brown and his agent were right to call the unrealistically high 6th year in last year's offer to be cosmetic bullshit. Seems like Veach took that to heart and maybe Chiefs will not bother with that bullshit number in final year offer anymore.

Brown is making plenty of money for a 3rd round pick and he has outperformed a lot of players taken before him.

It may be a little humbling to sign a deal that looks like less than the horseshit offer the Chiefs put him front of him last year, but he is still making plenty of money and will be playing for a competitive team with elite players.

Chiefs were lucky as hell to have him for 2 years and I respect that he believed in himself enough to ask out of Baltimore and do it in a way that the Ravens accommodated him without animosity.

Funny to watch the meltdown in this thread badmouthing a guy that showed up to work and met expectations playing a premium position.

If Chiefs are able to beat Bengals in upcoming seasons, there will be a lot of reasons for that ahead of Brown being the Bengals LT and being called poor for making almost a million dollars a game.
YES
[Reply]
Page 11 of 56
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Up