ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 11
« First < 678910 11 >
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
Couch-Potato 12:58 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm starting to be a little worried about how much progress Chinese EV companies are making. We'll probably end up regulating them out of having much of an impact in the U.S., but they could take a real bite out of U.S. manufacturers' global car sales. Based on sales trends outside the U.S., other countries don't seem to have as many aversions to EVs as U.S. consumers do (some of which makes sense given how much more spread apart people are here).
I'm curious to ask why? Do you work in the automotive industry? Buy their stock? ...I don't see how China producing affordable EV cars is bad for the average global and/or US consumer. The price of US vehicles, specifically, have absolutely sky-rocketed in recent years! I was in love with the idea of buying a jeep, when I was a kid it was super cool to drive a beat up wrangler, the low end wranglers now cost something like $60k and the top end wrangler goes for a whopping $100k+ after taxes!!!??? WTF!? It's not a ****ing house! I'd argue that Chinese competition might help reduce the rate of YOY price increases on similar US vehicles and offer a tiny piece of the total solution for dampening the inflation we're currently seeing in that market.
[Reply]
ghak99 01:49 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I'm curious to ask why? Do you work in the automotive industry? Buy their stock? ...I don't see how China producing affordable EV cars is bad for the average global and/or US consumer. The price of US vehicles, specifically, have absolutely sky-rocketed in recent years! I was in love with the idea of buying a jeep, when I was a kid it was super cool to drive a beat up wrangler, the low end wranglers now cost something like $60k and the top end wrangler goes for a whopping $100k+ after taxes!!!??? WTF!? It's not a ****ing house! I'd argue that Chinese competition might help reduce the rate of YOY price increases on similar US vehicles and offer a tiny piece of the total solution for dampening the inflation we're currently seeing in that market.
It sounds like you're talking about allowing Chinese economics and production methods to break the Unions. If allowed, it would be quite the viewing experience.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:59 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Just a general desire to see U.S. manufacturing remain a healthy and viable industry.
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:21 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Just a general desire to see U.S. manufacturing remain a healthy and viable industry.
US EV manufacturers are lucky Honda and Toyota seem uninterested in taking BEVs seriously, IMO.
[Reply]
Superbowltrashcan 07:49 AM 04-17-2024
I’m looking into a used EV for my new commute that is driving my daughter to school and home then picking up after school and back home. About a 110 miles altogether each day. Private school hence the driving distance. Majority is along the K-10 corridor. What might be an advisable, reliable choice that is gonna handle 60K on the odometer over the next three years? I’d prefer to make use of the used EV tax credit so under $25K. So far there are a few Mach E RWD Selects and a couple of the base model Ioniq 5 I’ve driven as well. I’ll likely third party warranty through Xclerate Auto that does them mostly on Teslas but other makers as well. I’m having a Level 2 charger Putin the garage and we have a 3rd vehicle for longer road trips if need be. Thanks in advance for all the CP EV wisdom…
[Reply]
MagicHef 09:37 AM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by Superbowltrashcan:
I’m looking into a used EV for my new commute that is driving my daughter to school and home then picking up after school and back home. About a 110 miles altogether each day. Private school hence the driving distance. Majority is along the K-10 corridor. What might be an advisable, reliable choice that is gonna handle 60K on the odometer over the next three years? I’d prefer to make use of the used EV tax credit so under $25K. So far there are a few Mach E RWD Selects and a couple of the base model Ioniq 5 I’ve driven as well. I’ll likely third party warranty through Xclerate Auto that does them mostly on Teslas but other makers as well. I’m having a Level 2 charger Putin the garage and we have a 3rd vehicle for longer road trips if need be. Thanks in advance for all the CP EV wisdom…
If you're doing 110 miles each day, I'd suggest looking at models with at least double that range, as the range listed is usually optimistic and some days your commute may get longer due to extra errands, traffic, etc. I'd say that you should drive a couple different models and see what you like.

I went with a 2022 Tesla Model 3 and it's fantastic. I got a crazy deal ($19k after tax credit) because Hertz bought a huge number of them 2 years ago and recently decided to dump them, so the market got flooded. There's probably still some out there.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 09:42 AM 04-17-2024
We rented a Mach-E on a recent trip to Austin. It was insanely fun to drive. First time I actually started thinking about buying electric.
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:50 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
We rented a Mach-E on a recent trip to Austin. It was insanely fun to drive. First time I actually started thinking about buying electric.
What did you find so different about it and most fun? Acceleration? Quietness?
[Reply]
BWillie 01:05 PM 04-17-2024
I really like how much faster my 2024 Tesla supercharges compared to my 2016 Model S Tesla. I get up to 1000 mph now when I plug in and the battery is low. It quickly goes down to around 800 but I used to max at 580 I feel like in my old one. Also when the battery is 60-80% full it also charges faster. Makes road trips that much better now.

Would never ever get a EV if it wasn't for the Tesla supercharging network.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:56 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I really like how much faster my 2024 Tesla supercharges compared to my 2016 Model S Tesla. I get up to 1000 mph now when I plug in and the battery is low. It quickly goes down to around 800 but I used to max at 580 I feel like in my old one. Also when the battery is 60-80% full it also charges faster. Makes road trips that much better now.

Would never ever get a EV if it wasn't for the Tesla supercharging network.
Holy shit that is fast! Almost Mach 2! Where do you drive it so fast?
[Reply]
notorious 01:28 PM 04-17-2024
American made cars will get cheaper, but you will need to pay a subscription for every little thing in it.

Want AC? Fuck you pay me money. Want to use cruise control? Fuck you pay me money. Want to listen to the stereo? Fuck you pay me money.

It’s coming.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:32 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by notorious:
American made cars will get cheaper, but you will need to pay a subscription for every little thing in it.

Want AC? Fuck you pay me money. Want to use cruise control? Fuck you pay me money. Want to listen to the stereo? Fuck you pay me money.

It’s coming.
Yeah Tesla already has a $9.99 a month for "premium connectivity" which is such a crock. You can't really even be able to use the features without it except for the map. I have to use Tune In to get AM radio. Can't use spotify, etc. I just use my phone as a hot spot right now but I'm sure I'll get tired of doing that and just breakdown and buy it. I can't figure out a way for the car to automatically connect to the wifi of my phone after I start driving. I have to manually turn the wifi back on when I start a trip, which is annoying.
[Reply]
MagicHef 01:56 PM 04-17-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Yeah Tesla already has a $9.99 a month for "premium connectivity" which is such a crock. You can't really even be able to use the features without it except for the map. I have to use Tune In to get AM radio. Can't use spotify, etc. I just use my phone as a hot spot right now but I'm sure I'll get tired of doing that and just breakdown and buy it. I can't figure out a way for the car to automatically connect to the wifi of my phone after I start driving. I have to manually turn the wifi back on when I start a trip, which is annoying.
My free premium connectivity trial ran out and I didn't even notice, TBH. I listen to FM or Amazon Music through my phone, and neither of those changed.
[Reply]
kstater 09:20 AM 04-19-2024
Every single cybertruck getting recalled.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaFace 09:27 AM 04-19-2024
Originally Posted by kstater:
Every single cybertruck getting recalled.

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk
Whoops.

NEW: Tesla recalls all 3,878 Cybertrucks shipped to date because of a faulty accelerator pedal. https://t.co/tihjl2HAfO

— Sean O'Kane (@sokane1) April 19, 2024

It'll be fascinating to look back on Cybertruck in 10 years. On the surface, it looks like it's likely going to be a financial flop, but you could make an argument that it's done a pretty good job of keeping Tesla top of mind even while other EV manufacturers are (kinda) catching up.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 11
« First < 678910 11 >
Up