ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Best weed killer for lawns with rocks landscaping
scho63 12:03 PM 03-19-2021
The last two weeks the weeds have come out and grown with vengeance all over the lawn between all the rocks.

I need to find something that will kill it all and last.

I prefer to have a ready-to-use product rather than a concentrate to mix in a sprayer I would have to buy.

The ground is hard and dry here in AZ so not sure if it is wise to water a little first before applying the weed killer.

I know Ortho and Roundup are the two big ones many homeowners use.

I don't have a huge yard but have weeds coming up all over. I'm sure the landscapers didn't put down a tarp to block the weeks or it was done poorly.

Any advice appreciated.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:35 PM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Aww fuck, it expires?!
Yeah. Different chemicals have different shelf lives. Typically settling out is a bigger issue than expiration.

Originally Posted by tredadda:
Yeah, but if it's not available here there is a reason for it. Reckon it is not worth whatever fines if caught. Plus my yard is not very big and my wife plants flowers everywhere. It was more just humorous as I clicked the link to see what it was and that's what Amazon told me in big red letters. :-)
Yeah. That’s not what you want. LOL.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:36 PM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I've found that 2-4-D with the active ingredient like Trimec dimethylamine salt works better than the basic 2-4-D like Amine that has Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid for clover. Although clover can be a bitch.

WTH, I'm a lot further south than you and my entire yard is still pretty dormant.
I do some spot work, but hired a lawn company. For the same price as the product and me doing it with streaks, they can do it without streaks.
[Reply]
digger 06:43 PM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
You definitely need Brawndo

[Reply]
scho63 12:23 PM 03-20-2021
I was expecting a simple Product A is better than Product B and C because....

Instead I got a whole lesson in Botany and Chemistry! :-)
[Reply]
F150 12:54 PM 03-20-2021
some things to consider...you said you want something that lasts...thats a residual.. Look at Preen, its a granular you scatter and water in. Active ingredient will kill all grassy plants even sandbur plus small seeded broadleaf weeds. Apply heavy, wont impact desirable plants already growing.

For existing, Roundup is your best bet

Avoid weed b gone, it is a volatile product and can hurt the landscape plants it is trimec and 2,4-d

for yard its fine....but sounds like u hired pros for that, never a bad idea
[Reply]
2112 12:56 PM 03-20-2021
https://www.syngenta-us.com/herbicides/gramoxone-sl-2.0

I used to use this 30 years ago. It had a skull and crossbones on it back then and it became too dangerous to use. But it was the greatest. You’d see results within a few hours on a hot day. Haven’t used it since the mid 90’s. It’s like the chlordane of weed killer.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:17 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by 2112:

I used to use this 30 years ago. It had a skull and crossbones on it back then and it became too dangerous to use. But it was the greatest. You’d see results within a few hours on a hot day. Haven’t used it since the mid 90’s. It’s like the chlordane of weed killer.
It’s the opposite of chlordane. It doesn’t have any residual control at all. It’s purely a contact killer. It works by entering in the cell and oxidizing it. It doesn’t translocate, it’s not systemic. It just burns the fuck out of everything.

That being said, DO NOT USE THIS. It’s dangerous as all fuck. I have a closed automated tendering system, and a pressurized carbon filtered cab. Don’t handle it. Even the mist coming off the nozzle can damage your lungs.

DO NOT USE THIS.
As it turns out, it enters your cells and oxidizes them too.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:44 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
The last two weeks the weeds have come out and grown with vengeance all over the lawn between all the rocks.

I need to find something that will kill it all and last.

I prefer to have a ready-to-use product rather than a concentrate to mix in a sprayer I would have to buy.

The ground is hard and dry here in AZ so not sure if it is wise to water a little first before applying the weed killer.

I know Ortho and Roundup are the two big ones many homeowners use.

I don't have a huge yard but have weeds coming up all over. I'm sure the landscapers didn't put down a tarp to block the weeks or it was done poorly.

Any advice appreciated.
Gas.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:59 PM 03-20-2021

Wife used to work for Syngenta.. Seed side. not Chem side.

I also think hardware store roundup is not as good as elevator roundup
[Reply]
prhom 06:35 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind. :-)
Seriously though, are they lava rocks? I kept my lava rocks looking sharp with a propane weed burner. Best to do the weed killer as well, but burning off the dead stuff and stuff that blows in it is the way to go. Burning alone won’t kill them permanently so you need to do both.
[Reply]
scho63 06:47 PM 03-20-2021
I used Ortho Ground Clear for $34 at Home Depot. It covered every weed and a little extra double coverage. I blasted the shit out of the weeds. 95% are dead already.

This shit is the bomb!
Attached: 8ef6276c-4d1d-403c-83a3-789b75b09edd.943e799ce9a737e0c311785a84876abd.jpg (59.8 KB) 
[Reply]
2112 06:48 PM 03-20-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It’s the opposite of chlordane. It doesn’t have any residual control at all. It’s purely a contact killer. It works by entering in the cell and oxidizing it. It doesn’t translocate, it’s not systemic. It just burns the fuck out of everything.

That being said, DO NOT USE THIS. It’s dangerous as all fuck. I have a closed automated tendering system, and a pressurized carbon filtered cab. Don’t handle it. Even the mist coming off the nozzle can damage your lungs.

DO NOT USE THIS.
As it turns out, it enters your cells and oxidizes them too.
I was kidding with the chlordane. I actually took a bath with that shit about 30 years ago on a hot day. My lungs feel great. You forgot to mention it has stench in it too. It’s definitely a burning agent herbicide that really isn’t supposed to kill the roots, but does lol and it is dangerous

And Buehler is right, don’t use it. But I don’t think scho could buy it even if he tried too. You need a pesticide license to purchase shit like that in my state. But it really is the best.
[Reply]
scho63 06:48 PM 03-20-2021
I also had to kill wasps hiding in crevices on my porch. Those fuckers are dead too! :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:34 PM 03-20-2021
I was kidding with the chlordane. I actually took a bath with that shit about 30 years ago on a hot day. My lungs feel great. You forgot to mention it has stench in it too. It’s definitely a burning agent herbicide that really isn’t supposed to kill the roots, but does lol and it is dangerous

And Buehler is right, don’t use it. But I don’t think scho could buy it even if he tried too. You need a pesticide license to purchase shit like that in my state. But it really is the best.
Yeah. You have to have a permit.

Glad you came out of the spill OK. Some aren’t so lucky.

If it got in your eyes it might be a different story.

But you definitely need a carbon filter and eye protection if you’re going to use a hand sprayer.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 11:59 PM 03-20-2021
Diesel fuel is a great weed killer.:-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up