ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 16
« First < 289101112 13141516 >
Nzoner's Game Room>RIP Dwayne Haskins
The Franchise 09:00 AM 04-09-2022

Dwayne Haskins, a standout at Ohio State before struggling to catch on with Washington and Pittsburgh in the NFL, died this morning when he got hit by a car in South Florida, per his agent Cedric Saunders. Haskins would have turned 25 years old on May 3.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 9, 2022

RIP
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:41 AM 04-21-2022
Wife had a co-worker who was hit and killed crossing Lake Shore Drive in Chicago a few years ago. I didn't realize how often it happens there until we knew someone. People park across the highway to access Lake Michigan then for whatever reason bypass the pedestrian bridges and try to cross the highway on their own and get rolled out into street pizza. I felt for the lady who hit her. Older lady driving back home to Michigan.

I think there's something to people not properly judging the speed in which vehicles are coming and act as if they're crossing a boulevard or something.

I just can't imagine having everything at the touch of your fingertips yet deciding to get out of your vehicle and crossing a highway for gas. Was his phone dead?

Most insurance policies allow x number of gas fill ups per month. Like you can call them and they'll send someone with 3 gallons of gas for free 5 times a month.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:06 AM 04-21-2022
The strangest part for me is running out of gas in the first place. I'm a chronic limit pusher and I have never not made it to a gas station.

Especially on the highway..? I'll tell you I would never hop on a highway if my needle is under E. That's just ridiculous. If I'm low, I'm on a backroad, side street and I'm staying in the right lane just in case.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:14 AM 04-21-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
The strangest part for me is running out of gas in the first place. I'm a chronic limit pusher and I have never not made it to a gas station.

Especially on the highway..? I'll tell you I would never hop on a highway if my needle is under E. That's just ridiculous. If I'm low, I'm on a backroad, side street and I'm staying in the right lane just in case.
I'm a "fill it up when it hits half of a tank" kind of person but there have been times where I've been preoccupied with something going on and then the gas light catches my eye. I've never run out of gas once in my life but if you already don't pay attention to it...and then add shit going on in your life on top of it...I could see it happening.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:32 AM 04-21-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I'm a "fill it up when it hits half of a tank" kind of person but there have been times where I've been preoccupied with something going on and then the gas light catches my eye. I've never run out of gas once in my life but if you already don't pay attention to it...and then add shit going on in your life on top of it...I could see it happening.
I fully admit I may be the weird one here, but people like y'all stress me tf out, man lol

I consistently check my dash while I'm driving, just to make sure everything is straight. Speed within a reasonable range? Engine temp isn't overheating? RPMs in the comfort zone? Gas?

Especially the gas; that is the first thing I look at every time I start my car.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:35 AM 04-21-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I fully admit I may be the weird one here, but people like y'all stress me tf out, man lol

I consistently check my dash while I'm driving, just to make sure everything is straight. Speed within a reasonable range? Engine temp isn't overheating? RPMs in the comfort zone? Gas?

Especially the gas; that is the first thing I look at every time I start my car.
99% of the time....I don't let my gas dip below 1/4 tank. And especially when I know I'm going to be getting on the freeway to go somewhere.

But life has a funny way of stressing you out to the point where you forget mundane shit like that.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:50 AM 04-21-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
For a deer, I kinda get it.

But humans gauge those distances all the time through their windshield. If you drive a car, you're wired to recognize how highway speeds impact distance traveled anytime you make a turn across a highway. And at least in the midwest, that's pretty common.

Just seems like the sort of mistake that anyone who's driven a vehicle for a few years shouldn't be making.
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but this ended up being exactly like my sister-in-law's father was killed. (He ran out of gas and was hit crossing the road trying to get to a gas station.)

Aside from the general issue of not being able to judge speeds, keep in mind that it was early in the morning. It's even more difficult to judge speeds when the lighting isn't great, and who knows if the dump truck had its lights on or not.

Regardless, my recommendation if you're ever stranded on the side of a highway and are thinking about crossing it is...don't. It'll be worth the price to call a tow truck even if all they do is bring a can of gas.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:03 AM 04-21-2022
99% of the time....I don't let my gas dip below 1/4 tank. And especially when I know I'm going to be getting on the freeway to go somewhere.

But life has a funny way of stressing you out to the point where you forget mundane shit like that.
Its pretty hard for you to run out of gas anymore with the alarms and touch screens telling you you have 0 miles to empty and you still have about a gallon in the tank. Maybe he had a rental car or something down there he wasn't familiar with, or was drunk like the passed out girl in his car.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:05 AM 04-21-2022
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Its pretty hard for you to run out of gas anymore with the alarms and touch screens telling you you have 0 miles to empty and you still have about a gallon in the tank. Maybe he had a rental car or something down there he wasn't familiar with, or was drunk like the passed out girl in his car.
I still have a 2012 Honda Accord. The most it does is give me the gas light. So if I'm preoccupied and in my own head....I could miss it coming on.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:06 AM 04-21-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but this ended up being exactly like my sister-in-law's father was killed. (He ran out of gas and was hit crossing the road trying to get to a gas station.)

Aside from the general issue of not being able to judge speeds, keep in mind that it was early in the morning. It's even more difficult to judge speeds when the lighting isn't great, and who knows if the dump truck had its lights on or not.

Regardless, my recommendation if you're ever stranded on the side of a highway and are thinking about crossing it is...don't. It'll be worth the price to call a tow truck even if all they do is bring a can of gas.
Now factor in that Haskins is an athlete who probably thinks that he's faster than he is in situations like that. And if it's early in the morning then he's tired....and now pissed that he's out of gas.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:11 AM 04-21-2022
I legitimately get bothered if I get in my wife's car and it's at half a tank. What if there's a nuclear attack or a supervolcano explosion and I need to get deep into the Mexican desert to survive it?

I've run out of gas twice in my life. Both times it was when I was a teenager and my father sent me out somewhere in his car. Gee, thanks, dad.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:14 AM 04-21-2022
I bet there's a really high correlation of drunkenness in cars. If one person is passed out drunk, the odds are low that other people in the car are sober unless maybe they're the parents or someone who was called to pick up the drunk person.
[Reply]
threebag 11:59 AM 04-21-2022
It’s cost the same amount to keep it full as it does to keep it empty.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 03:06 PM 05-23-2022

Investigators say Dwayne Haskins had "drank heavily" and ingested ketamine in the hours leading up to his passing, and had a blood alcohol level of .24 at the time of the April 9 accident. https://t.co/T3LHL6d6Tr

— TMZ Sports (@TMZ_Sports) May 23, 2022

[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:10 PM 05-23-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 03:10 PM 05-23-2022
I think we all knew to expect some sort of variation on that theme.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 16
« First < 289101112 13141516 >
Up