Page 453 of 934
« First < 353403443449450451452453 454455456457463503553 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:16 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It was kind of a GoFundMe for Gamestop, I think. People have good memories of it and are buying nostalgia.

Maybe it's time to short sell it. That would be rather ironic.
I dunno man. They can run a long ass way. Some of those dudes are zealots.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:34 AM 01-27-2021

[Reply]
-King- 08:33 AM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
BB is getting play but AMC is already up 66% after hours. Pretty sure that will be the main target tomorrow.
Yeah thought about buying some at $4 yesterday but didn't. Opened at $16 today :-)
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 09:03 AM 01-27-2021
Someone might have to clarify, but the way I understand it, the hedge fund Melvin Capital was a deep short seller of GameStop. A bunch of kids from reddit with day trading accounts then proceeded to short squeeze the stock and in effect, nearly bankrupt a $14 billion hedge fund in the process. The Mets new owner tried to bail it out yesterday with a $2.7 billion infusion, but that went "poof" in a matter of hours. It's a little double edged because there were probably everyday joe's that had their retirements tied up in that fund, but on the flip-side that was super unethical of the fund manager for tying the bulk of their funds up in short sells....did I get the gist of it?
[Reply]
scho63 09:03 AM 01-27-2021
This is the beginning of the end of this long Market Rally

Look for a 20% retrenchment
[Reply]
TinyEvel 09:16 AM 01-27-2021
PLUG touched $75 yesterday and opened at 65 today after they announced an issue of common shares at that price. They did the same at $25 about two months ago. Room to grow? I bet it gets up to100 by March if there’s no massive market adjustment. Thoughts?
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:18 AM 01-27-2021
Is short selling in general frowned upon or is it more about Gamestop nostalgia and big money funds betting against it?
[Reply]
DaFace 09:25 AM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Someone might have to clarify, but the way I understand it, the hedge fund Melvin Capital was a deep short seller of GameStop. A bunch of kids from reddit with day trading accounts then proceeded to short squeeze the stock and in effect, nearly bankrupt a $14 billion hedge fund in the process. The Mets new owner tried to bail it out yesterday with a $2.7 billion infusion, but that went "poof" in a matter of hours. It's a little double edged because there were probably everyday joe's that had their retirements tied up in that fund, but on the flip-side that was super unethical of the fund manager for tying the bulk of their funds up in short sells....did I get the gist of it?
I think that's the gist, yes.

Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Is short selling in general frowned upon or is it more about Gamestop nostalgia and big money funds betting against it?
Eh, there's nothing particularly "wrong" with short selling except that it can depress the stock's price. However, since stock price has very little to do with a company's day-to-day operations, it MOSTLY doesn't matter. The exception that comes to mind is that companies with a high stock price have more flexible financing options in general, so if they're looking at raising capital or taking out a loan, having a ton of shorts on the stock can make that more difficult.

From what I can tell, this situation is much more about gaming the system and "sticking it to the man" than about Gamestop itself.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 10:02 AM 01-27-2021
This guy does a good job of explaining shorts, short squeeze, naked shorting and what’s happening with GameStop

https://youtu.be/LSamMiig7-g
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 10:05 AM 01-27-2021
Anybody else hopping on the GME train?
[Reply]
MahiMike 10:06 AM 01-27-2021
I'm cashing out an entire account to buy a rental property. 2.87% interest is free money.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:22 AM 01-27-2021
Airbnb up over 9% today and up 45% since their IPO last month. Man what a great buy!
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:39 AM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
I wouldn't buy that stock with a 20-foot pole right now. In fact, I might buy stock in a company that makes 20-foot poles since a lot of people will need those to keep the proper distance from GME.

That's pretty much the definition of a bubble, right? I'm not reading in detail about it, but on the surface it seems like people are bidding the stock up past its real value just to stick it to a hedge fund. It will eventually re-center on its real value.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:39 AM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
Almost debated it, but it really is a "wall street bet." At some point it'll crash hard, so you're just trying to time it to not be one of the people who loses their ass. You could easily quadruple your money today or lose 90% of it.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:41 AM 01-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I wouldn't buy that stock with a 20-foot pole right now. In fact, I might buy stock in a company that makes 20-foot poles since a lot of people will need those to keep the proper distance from GME.

That's pretty much the definition of a bubble, right? I'm not reading in detail about it, but on the surface it seems like people are bidding the stock up past its real value just to stick it to a hedge fund. It will eventually re-center on its real value.
Yep. And if you assume its price from a few weeks ago of around $18 is the "real" value, its current price of around $360 is overpriced by a factor of 20. Good luck with that.
[Reply]
Page 453 of 934
« First < 353403443449450451452453 454455456457463503553 > Last »
Up