ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 71 of 173
« First < 21616768697071 7273747581121171 > Last »
In Memoriam>Good news [Lonewolf Ed]
Lonewolf Ed 04:51 PM 01-24-2015
I thought I'd start a new thread for updates on my cancer treatments and whatever else is going on, since the bad news thread title is misleading now.

My last treatment went better than the previous two and my chest wound is still closed up, which is a good thing. My arm is getting slightly stronger and I hope to resume lifting dumbbells next week. I need to build up my strength again, because I am going back to Denmark in May and I am extremely pumped about that! I'd like to be able to schlepp my own checked bag and not have someone else lifting it for me.

It's going to be a fabulous trip, 6 weeks and a couple of days for me. My brother is going along as well as my friends Chipp and Rod. Chipp is staying close to 3 weeks and has not gone with me over there since 2006 so he is also very pumped to be going. It will be Rod's first trip and he will be there for 2 weeks. I will get to be a tour guide. Also, I am throwing a party in my favorite pub of all, the wonderful, ever-magnificent Irish House in Aalborg on May 7th. The owner and I are friends and he will give me a little discount. We'll have Irish stew and brews in the cellar and I hope to have around 25 family and friends there. I might bill it as the "Fu** Cancer Party." A few months back, I was not sure I'd ever be able to go over to Denmark again or if I'd even be alive, but the cancer hasn't gotten me yet. I'm doing a number on it, instead.

Some other cool things I plan to do when I am back in my ancestral lands include a wine tasting in a castle, touring another castle and the northernmost manor home in the country, and visiting Skagen, the top of Denmark, where you can stand on a little patch of beach and have one foot in one sea and one in another. They also have a brewpub up there I am wanting to check out. I will start and end my trip in Aalborg and spend 5 weeks in an apartment I rent that is very close to the beach. I can hardly wait for May 4th to roll around!
[Reply]
DaNewGuy 11:22 PM 01-25-2016
Jealous of you seeing Black Sabbath. Have fun my man getting to see one of the greatest bands of all time.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 11:31 PM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by DaNewGuy:
Jealous of you seeing Black Sabbath. Have fun my man getting to see one of the greatest bands of all time.
I got good seats, too! My friends Jeff, Rod, and Chipp are going and we are on the first level above the floor about the middle and on Geezer's side of the stage.
[Reply]
DaNewGuy 11:39 PM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed:
I got good seats, too! My friends Jeff, Rod, and Chipp are going and we are on the first level above the floor about the middle and on Geezer's side of the stage.
Oh hell yea!! Dude speaking of Geezer guy is still
Scrapping in bars. Got arrested a few months ago I think for assault
Haha
[Reply]
cdcox 11:44 PM 01-25-2016
I haven't posted any updates in a while about my condition, because there isn't much new to tell. I am still on the stuff I was on since September and the rash is not as bad in some ways and worse in others. It never went wild again over my face like it did in October, but it spread all over my chest and abdomen. The nausea is there but not as severe and I have not puked since the very first day after the new treatment started.

I did get my treatment schedule changed in mid February since I do not want to be hooked to the pump and have to worry about the tubes getting ripped out when I am at the Black Sabbath concert here in KC.

So for some good news... my trip is all set now. I have my airfare, hotels, and apartment on the beach secured, I've scouted out many pubs in Edinburgh for my side trip and will take a 12 hour coach tour up to Loch Ness with a few interesting stops along the way, including a Scotch distillery tour. I'm not a whisky guy, but hey, when in Scotland a lad has to have a wee dram and some haggis, right?

My brother can't make the trip this year so I will be going solo again. I just have to regain some strength to schlepp my luggage. I had help last year with my brother, Chipp, and Rod along, but not this time. I will manage somehow, though. I do have lots of friends and family over there, but Scotland will be an entirely new experience. I am part Scottish on my dad' side, but have no idea where in Scotland that part is from. I just know the old man's last name was MacGhee, my grandmother's father, so he was my great-gramps or whatever they call Scottish grandpas. I intend to absorb as much as I can of Scotland in order to feel and understand my limited roots there, so I will take in sights, sounds, smells, textures, tastes, and whatever else as much as I possibly can. I will eat the common man's comfort foods, drink the ales, listen to the songs, listen to the accents, and study the architecture and landscapes. I want to feel the wind, feel the sun, and the rain. Give me as much Scotland as I can experience in 5 days!

I have even found a few new places to check out in Denmark where I will spend most of the 2 months away. It's going to be great and I leave in 3 months!
I was in Edinburgh in March about 10 years ago. I was only there for a couple of days but really enjoyed it. The central area is very walkable. Cold as hell at night. Three months from now gets you almost to May which should be a sight better than my experience in March.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 01:25 AM 01-26-2016
I've been to Scotland 5 times, mostly to visit family. The people there are as tough as nails so you'll fit right in.

The trip sounds great. Here's hoping that the weather is on your side and you bring home the conclusive evidence of "Nessie".
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 04:28 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
I've been to Scotland 5 times, mostly to visit family. The people there are as tough as nails so you'll fit right in.

The trip sounds great. Here's hoping that the weather is on your side and you bring home the conclusive evidence of "Nessie".
I will be prepared. When I go to Denmark, even into June, I have a heavy jacket along. It's better to have it and not need it than to leave it behind and then wish I had it along! Same goes for the raincoat. My side trip to Scotland is going to be May 13 to 18, so I doubt I will see snow, but the jacket is going to be with me.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 02:13 PM 01-28-2016
I have done a great deal of productive research for my upcoming trip, especially regarding Scotland. MapQuest was very helpful since I have never been to Edinburgh and I like to get out on foot and see things. Most of the 14 pubs I looked up are within walking distance of my hotel, and for me, if it is a mile or less, I will walk. One of the places, I may have to take a cab and I don't want to miss it since it offers live folk music most days and nights. Many of my pubs to see are close to one another as well, so as I searched the maps, the same street names came up so I am already feeling a bit more familiar with Edinburgh despite not being there yet. At night on my own, it may be safer to take a cab back to the hotel, but I will determine that while I am there. If it's cool, then I can walk back no problem. I feel very safe in Aalborg, but then I know that town like the back of my hand. Maybe that scene in Train Spotting is coming to mind where the American tourist gets the hell kicked out of him in the pub. I am a rather seasoned traveler, though, and I've never felt threatened.

And as for Denmark, I discovered two new places to check out as well. One I knew of, just never went yet. It's a restaurant called Flammen. They have a buffet which is rather pricey, about 25 dollars or so, but they offer some exotic meats such as red deer and wild boar. For some reason, wild boar sounds delicious to me, like when the chemo makes me crave Minsky's pizza. Now, I want a big old boar on a spit! Even though the buffet is a bit more than I want to pay for a meal, maybe I can make them rue the all-you-can-eat clause!
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 09:01 AM 02-01-2016
I have seen that some of you have been to Scotland and Edinburgh, in particular. Any ideas of what I should see and do? I've got a list of pubs which I will visit, because I love my beer, pub grub, and all, plus I will tour the castle. Consulting my Scottish friend in Denmark about trying buckfast and irn bru, he said leave the buckfast well alone but have the irn bru with fish and chips. For those who don't know, buckfast is a fortified wine (think Boones or MD 20/20) and irn bru is some sort of soft drink with obscene amounts of caffeine and sugar. From what I have seen online about it, I tend to think it tastes like diabetes! But, in Scotland, it outsells Coke.

And by the way, I know not to say "Edin-BURG" because the locals will frown upon it. They say it "Edinburra" or if I want to sound like I am really hip to the lingo, "Embra!"
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 09:18 AM 02-01-2016
Continue the fight against the bastard.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 10:27 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop:
Continue the fight against the bastard.
If I eat enough haggis, maybe the cancer will get scared and go away!
[Reply]
KC Dan 10:39 AM 02-01-2016
I have seen that some of you have been to Scotland and Edinburgh, in particular. Any ideas of what I should see and do? I've got a list of pubs which I will visit, because I love my beer, pub grub, and all, plus I will tour the castle. Consulting my Scottish friend in Denmark about trying buckfast and irn bru, he said leave the buckfast well alone but have the irn bru with fish and chips. For those who don't know, buckfast is a fortified wine (think Boones or MD 20/20) and irn bru is some sort of soft drink with obscene amounts of caffeine and sugar. From what I have seen online about it, I tend to think it tastes like diabetes! But, in Scotland, it outsells Coke.

And by the way, I know not to say "Edin-BURG" because the locals will frown upon it. They say it "Edinburra" or if I want to sound like I am really hip to the lingo, "Embra!"
Edinburgh is a must-see. One of the most beautiful cities in the world. Lots to see, eat and many great pubs. Also, I liked Stirling - home of the William Wallace memorial and Stirling castle. Great small town and a few really nice pubs.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 01:03 PM 02-01-2016

Even though the buffet is a bit more than I want to pay for a meal, maybe I can make them rue the all-you-can-eat clause!
Lonewolf Gypsy Or Gypsy Ed.

I kid. Enjoy your trip and meal.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 07:42 PM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by KC Dan:
Edinburgh is a must-see. One of the most beautiful cities in the world. Lots to see, eat and many great pubs. Also, I liked Stirling - home of the William Wallace memorial and Stirling castle. Great small town and a few really nice pubs.
I am staying in Edinburgh for 5 nights at the Kenneth MacKenzie Hotel. I will take a day tour up to Loch Ness, and we will pass Stirling and stop at a distillery, too, and other points of interest taking up the whole day. It's going to be a great trip and I am betting already that I will kick myself for not going to Scotland long ago.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 10:27 PM 02-10-2016
It's been rough for me lately. I am not feeling so good these days. I don't know what is going on with my lymph nodes at the base of my throat under my jawbone, but the left side is swollen and sore. I am not running a fever, though. The chemo has hit me hardest in my feet and fingers. My heels look like someone took a box cutter to them and my right big toe where it joins my foot is split on the underside like I stepped on glass, and it feels like I did. My fingernail beds on my right index and thumb tip have split and bleed easily. Fatigue has been hanging on as well. I need to feel better than this next week for the Black Sabbath concert and most definitely for my trip coming up in April. I can't get enough liquids in me, either, and I've been drinking water to no end today. It's weird. I don't get gradually more thirsty. It just hits me suddenly and I am parched. I am, however, glad that the chemo runs have been minimal and not as severe with the usual feelings of intense pressure in my lower intestine.

For all this complaining, though, I know of someone in much worse shape than me. I've been playing an online game and met a woman who is now cancer free, but she is not in good shape by any means. She had both chemo and radiation, had most of her stomach removed, and still has feeding tubes in her. She told me a few weeks ago that she was able to eat mashed potatoes for the first time in years. Most of her "food" goes into the tubes, so there is precious little she can actually eat via her mouth. She is gaining weight now, which is good, but she has a LONG way to go. She is 5'11" and weighs 93 lbs.

She was not expected to survive her cancer, and her now ex-husband hooked up with a new woman while she was undergoing treatment. He's with the new chick still. I can't imagine what feeling of betrayal she must have been subjected to over that prick. But, despite all of this, she prays for me and she has such a strong spirit. When things get me down, I think of her and how much worse off I could be, and how much stronger I could be or wish I could be. I do not know how much she will recover, but not much could make me happier than to find out it would be a complete recovery. I know it won't since the stomach doesn't grow back, but I pray she does recover significantly.

I guess I will put some more lotion on my feet now, get another glass of water in me, and head to bed. Tomorrow might be a good day, but even if I don't feel better than I do now, I know I will have a good breakfast and that counts for something. I like breakfast. I'll think about my trip if I need to put a smile on my face, too.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:32 PM 02-10-2016
It's been rough for me lately. I am not feeling so good these days. I don't know what is going on with my lymph nodes at the base of my throat under my jawbone, but the left side is swollen and sore. I am not running a fever, though. The chemo has hit me hardest in my feet and fingers. My heels look like someone took a box cutter to them and my right big toe where it joins my foot is split on the underside like I stepped on glass, and it feels like I did. My fingernail beds on my right index and thumb tip have split and bleed easily. Fatigue has been hanging on as well. I need to feel better than this next week for the Black Sabbath concert and most definitely for my trip coming up in April. I can't get enough liquids in me, either, and I've been drinking water to no end today. It's weird. I don't get gradually more thirsty. It just hits me suddenly and I am parched. I am, however, glad that the chemo runs have been minimal and not as severe with the usual feelings of intense pressure in my lower intestine.

For all this complaining, though, I know of someone in much worse shape than me. I've been playing an online game and met a woman who is now cancer free, but she is not in good shape by any means. She had both chemo and radiation, had most of her stomach removed, and still has feeding tubes in her. She told me a few weeks ago that she was able to eat mashed potatoes for the first time in years. Most of her "food" goes into the tubes, so there is precious little she can actually eat via her mouth. She is gaining weight now, which is good, but she has a LONG way to go. She is 5'11" and weighs 93 lbs.

She was not expected to survive her cancer, and her now ex-husband hooked up with a new woman while she was undergoing treatment. He's with the new chick still. I can't imagine what feeling of betrayal she must have been subjected to over that prick. But, despite all of this, she prays for me and she has such a strong spirit. When things get me down, I think of her and how much worse off I could be, and how much stronger I could be or wish I could be. I do not know how much she will recover, but not much could make me happier than to find out it would be a complete recovery. I know it won't since the stomach doesn't grow back, but I pray she does recover significantly.

I guess I will put some more lotion on my feet now, get another glass of water in me, and head to bed. Tomorrow might be a good day, but even if I don't feel better than I do now, I know I will have a good breakfast and that counts for something. I like breakfast. I'll think about my trip if I need to put a smile on my face, too.
She's not the only one who prays for you Lone. I don't always remember, but I usually do, so there's that. As for people who think they have it bad, there's always somebody who has it worse, but it's not a competition, it just life. So hang in there, pray for her as much as she prays for you, and pray for those who work to heal you both. It's worth it..
[Reply]
Page 71 of 173
« First < 21616768697071 7273747581121171 > Last »
Up