ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 173
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
In Memoriam>Good news [Lonewolf Ed]
Lonewolf Ed 04:51 PM 01-24-2015
I thought I'd start a new thread for updates on my cancer treatments and whatever else is going on, since the bad news thread title is misleading now.

My last treatment went better than the previous two and my chest wound is still closed up, which is a good thing. My arm is getting slightly stronger and I hope to resume lifting dumbbells next week. I need to build up my strength again, because I am going back to Denmark in May and I am extremely pumped about that! I'd like to be able to schlepp my own checked bag and not have someone else lifting it for me.

It's going to be a fabulous trip, 6 weeks and a couple of days for me. My brother is going along as well as my friends Chipp and Rod. Chipp is staying close to 3 weeks and has not gone with me over there since 2006 so he is also very pumped to be going. It will be Rod's first trip and he will be there for 2 weeks. I will get to be a tour guide. Also, I am throwing a party in my favorite pub of all, the wonderful, ever-magnificent Irish House in Aalborg on May 7th. The owner and I are friends and he will give me a little discount. We'll have Irish stew and brews in the cellar and I hope to have around 25 family and friends there. I might bill it as the "Fu** Cancer Party." A few months back, I was not sure I'd ever be able to go over to Denmark again or if I'd even be alive, but the cancer hasn't gotten me yet. I'm doing a number on it, instead.

Some other cool things I plan to do when I am back in my ancestral lands include a wine tasting in a castle, touring another castle and the northernmost manor home in the country, and visiting Skagen, the top of Denmark, where you can stand on a little patch of beach and have one foot in one sea and one in another. They also have a brewpub up there I am wanting to check out. I will start and end my trip in Aalborg and spend 5 weeks in an apartment I rent that is very close to the beach. I can hardly wait for May 4th to roll around!
[Reply]
Meatloaf 10:22 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed:
The scan showed a small clot in a lung and a large one running along the major vein in the center of my body, so the doc is making calls now to get me in the hospital. She's very concerned about it and said they'd run some filter into the vein to keep it out of my lungs. At least the scan today showed my cancer is shrinking further, but it feels like I just can't catch a break. My spirits are not good right now.
Friend of mine recently had colon surgery for Crohns. Surgery went well, but a few days later she developed a clot. Back to the hospital. Much better now.

Ed, if you're in doctor's care, I think they can handle these clots just fine. Pain in the butt, but you gotta just get through it. Congrats on the shrinking cancer shit!!! Now, get rid of these clots and you'll be back on your feet in no time!
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 12:14 PM 03-11-2015
Will pray.

( and not that fake Inmem bullshit )
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:49 PM 03-11-2015
Shit man. At least they found it. My great grandad died after a pulmonary embolism when he was a little older than you.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 09:48 PM 03-11-2015
After many long hours waiting, I finally have a filter in my vena cava. It was not a surgical procedure, more like a big shot. I had anesthetic so it didn't hurt. My neck is a bit stiff now and there is a big tight bandage over the spot where they went in. I might be released tomorrow. I sure hope so. I ordered two pizzas tonight for dinner and they only sent me one! Get me out of this place!
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:28 PM 03-11-2015
So does the filter stay or what? I'm kind of confused.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 04:32 AM 03-12-2015
Hang in there, Ed.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 11:22 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So does the filter stay or what? I'm kind of confused.
Yes, it can stay in me indefinitely, but at some point it may be taken out. I'd rather have it out since it's not actually a part of me.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:23 AM 03-12-2015
How did the stomach shots go, better than anticipated I hope?
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 11:26 AM 03-12-2015
I have been put on blood thinners now and the delivery method leaves a lot to be desired. I have to get a shot in the side of my gut twice a day and it is horrible as it feels like the needle is still in there for anywhere from 15 seconds to over a minute, depending on the nurse. Now they tell me that *I* have to do it myself at home. Umm, what part of needles and I do not mix is not sinking in with them? One doc said there are pills that do the same thing as the shot. OKAY, problem solved, right? Gimme the pills already!

The nurses said they will get me comfortable with injecting myself before I am discharged. That settles it then. I am staying in the hospital until I die.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:32 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed:
I have been put on blood thinners now and the delivery method leaves a lot to be desired. I have to get a shot in the side of my gut twice a day and it is horrible as it feels like the needle is still in there for anywhere from 15 seconds to over a minute, depending on the nurse. Now they tell me that *I* have to do it myself at home. Umm, what part of needles and I do not mix is not sinking in with them? One doc said there are pills that do the same thing as the shot. OKAY, problem solved, right? Gimme the pills already!

The nurses said they will get me comfortable with injecting myself before I am discharged. That settles it then. I am staying in the hospital until I die.
I seriously wouldn't shut my yap until they forked over the pills.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 12:46 PM 03-12-2015
I gave myself a shot. It was pitiful. I would get the needle close to the spot and stop, wipe sweat from my brow and dry my palms, then repeat. After 10 minutes or so, I finally managed to plunge the needle into my skin and inject the blood thinner, which is what hurt the most. That stuff stings! It kept stinging for over 2 minutes, so as I knew, I am not good at giving shots. The nurses said they were proud of me, but I just thought, "Yeah, yeah, sure." Pitiful.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 01:31 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Hell yes, **** cancer!
I might just make a t-shirt that says this...
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:21 PM 03-12-2015
I knew a couple people that got cancer and just refused treatment and died because they didn't want to go on. I am glad you still have a fight in you to keep moving forward. It helps other people just knowing you are alive.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 06:46 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
I knew a couple people that got cancer and just refused treatment and died because they didn't want to go on. I am glad you still have a fight in you to keep moving forward. It helps other people just knowing you are alive.
Thank you very much; I appreciate it!

I finally caught a break today. They put me on blood thinner pills so I won't be giving myself those painful injections in my gut. I'd have ended up making an entire ring around my belly button with those shots. *shudder* And, I am back home getting ready to watch The Blacklist and then Vikings. Ahhh, I feel so much better now.
[Reply]
srvy 07:14 PM 03-12-2015
Awesome news LE. Oh and stay away from chainsaws and anything sharp while on the thinners!
[Reply]
Page 11 of 173
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
Up