ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Why is our run defense so bad?
TLO 10:21 PM 09-19-2021
Someone smarter than me please explain.

Is it the line? LBs? Both?
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:26 PM 09-20-2021
There’s been a lot of miscommunication in the secondary the first two weeks. Those types of things can be cleaned up.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:30 PM 09-20-2021
Same thing happened last year at the beginning of the season. Run defense was horrible snd they slowly improved through the year.

Brenden Daly was brought in as the run defense coach and didn’t have his guys prepared at all for last night.

How is it possible for Jones to be THAT lost? He had no clue whatsoever how to set the edge…against a team that almost exclusively runs the ball all day.

Now, don’t get me wrong, each piece played poorly last night and everyone deserves a portion of the shit sandwich, but Daly and Jones should get the lions share of last nights results. Baltimore came out scheming runs right at Jones snd he got destroyed all night.
[Reply]
Brooklyn 02:31 PM 09-20-2021
curse of Mike Pennell.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:32 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Brooklyn:
curse of Mike Pennell.
Cut Bell and bring back Pennell.

Seriously.

Also, those asking fir Gay to be brought back quickly are setting themselves up for disappointment. He’s very inexperienced and wouldn’t have helped much last night outside of a couple splash plays.

The whole defensive coaching system against the run was exposed the last 2 weeks.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:41 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Baltimore came out scheming runs right at Jones snd he got destroyed all night.
They looked at the film.

This is going to be a real problem for us going forward unless Jones gets better fast.
[Reply]
Molitoth 02:45 PM 09-20-2021
Because sacks = paydays and tackles don't.

I think some of our players only care about typical passing downs.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 02:47 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
They looked at the film.

This is going to be a real problem for us going forward unless Jones gets better fast.
He's too big to play DE. I don't think the Chris Jones at DE experiment will last very long.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:50 PM 09-20-2021
Said it another thread, but I think the most realistic option right now is to see where Vernon is at in recovery from the Achilles tear and bringing him in if it's feasible.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:52 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
He's too big to play DE. I don't think the Chris Jones at DE experiment will last very long.
Maybe he's only too big to play end against Lamar Jackson.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:54 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Cut Bell and bring back Pennell.

Seriously.

Also, those asking fir Gay to be brought back quickly are setting themselves up for disappointment. He’s very inexperienced and wouldn’t have helped much last night outside of a couple splash plays.

The whole defensive coaching system against the run was exposed the last 2 weeks.
I’m all for it, unfortunately Pennel is now a Chicago Bear
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 02:57 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
I find your notion that Jones is a run stuffer next to laughable.

He stuffs the run as well as Andy diets.
I disagree.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:11 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
I find your notion that Jones is a run stuffer next to laughable.

He stuffs the run as well as Andy diets.
My concern is that it took him 3 years to 'learn' how to play sound run defense on the interior.

Gotta hope he doesn't see a similar learning curve out wide.

He has every single possible skill-set you could ask for to be a premier DE against the run and the pass. He can/should be a monster out there. But last night he looked like he just had no clue how to play the position.

Because against that scheme, he doesn't.
[Reply]
BlackOp 03:31 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I saw this last night in real-time...and find it really hard to believe that Spags didnt.

This was a back-up OL...

I think it was deliberate...Spags is too good of a coordinator to not adjust. They took one for the "health of the NFL"...and made their Vegas overlords millions and millions.

People really think football coaches are more powerful than Vegas money...they arent. The players arent in on it...but calling the wrong play at the right time can sure influence an outcome. Not adjusting to what your opponent is doing likewise...

Ravens had 15 players on IR...nearly 1/3 of their team. Creates a real heroic narrative...and finally the rivalry they've been trying to manufacture.

The NFL has openly partnered with Vegas/sports betting...it used to pretend to be against gambling on games.

This is going to be the end result going forward....and it's only going to become more obvious.

Just take it for what it is...entertainment. It is awesome entertainment...that fumble didn't bother much at all....only that KC could won and still covered the spread.
[Reply]
TEX 03:46 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Last night seemed pretty straightforward.

In baseball there's a term called 'getting put in a rocking chair' that you see with fastball/changeup guys. They get you out in front of the changeup then behind the fastball then back in front of the changeup and after an AB or two of that it looks like you're just guessing wrong every time.

The reality is that whatever they throw is going to beat you at that point because you're trapped in the middle. You're too slow for the fastball, too fast for the changeup and you just hope they hang you a slider. You're not guessing wrong, nor is the pitcher making the 'right' call. You're just vapor-locked and will miss whatever he throws.

When that happens you have two options - get your ass kicked for the rest of the day and try again tomorrow in the hopes your timing has re-set, or just sit fastball. Stop even trying to adjust. Acknowledge that if the guy executes 3 straight changeups you're out. But if he throws you a fastball, at least make sure you're ready for that. Get yourself out of the damn rocking chair somehow.

We ran a triple option in HS and the cardinal rule in defending that was "get the ball into the hands of the less talented runner...". Lamar Jackson is the best runner on that team, so you need to get the ball out of his hands. Don't try to read and react - take the initiative and if Murray or Wallace beat you, so be it. At least your DL is getting out of its own head.

Jones was very obviously trapped in the middle last night and I think Spags could've helped him quite a bit through some more exotic blitz packages that are designed to bring pressure off the edge and force a decision. Or bring your safeties up the middle more often to force the pitch out wide. But I felt like the play-calling last night just stayed too passive. It allowed Jackson to make the decision and once they got into that rhythm, the Chiefs DL was 'in the rocking chair' and no matter what decision Jackson made, it was going to be the right one because the DL just wasn't ready for either the fastball or the changeup at that point.

They let the Ravens get into a rhythm, they got buried in their own heads and by the end of that game they weren't capable of stopping anything at all so it barely even mattered what decision Jackson made.
Great analogy. Gotta tee off on Jackson and force his hand.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:55 PM 09-20-2021
And to extend the baseball analogy - if you get a guy on the ropes the first time through the order, you need to knock him out. Because if you don't, he's going to settle in and start getting things working.

The Chiefs offense had 2 early opportunities to put their foot on Baltimore's throat and really force the issue. They didn't capitalize.

They had 2 possessions to turn that into a 21-7 game in the the first half. They punted the ball away both times. In so doing they allowed Jackson to continue doing what he wanted to do until he could find a rhythm.

It's hard to blame a loss like that on the offense, but they had it on their racket to decide that game twice in the first half and really, 3 more times in the 2nd (int, punt, fumble) and didn't capitalize.

It was just a pretty nasty loss.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up