ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 21
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Florio: Mahomes to be the highest paid QB in football again soon
Hammock Parties 10:30 AM 05-09-2023

Expect Patrick Mahomes to once again be the highest-paid player in football on an APY basis, before Week One. https://t.co/k2dDcjahE8

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) May 9, 2023

Originally Posted by :
When Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes signed his current 12-year contract three years ago, he nudged the bar for the highest average per year (APY) by roughly $10 million, to $45 million annually.

Now, with Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson at $52 million per year, Mahomes has fallen $7 million per year behind the highest-paid player in the sport.

Chiefs G.M. Brett Veach already has vowed to address the Mahomes deal after more quarterback contracts are completed. While Veach didn’t delve into any specifics, here’s what reasonably should be expected, based on our conversations with folks aware of the dynamics of the situation.

Expect Mahomes, before the season begins, to once again be the highest-paid player in league history.

The details will be interesting, and subject to differing interpretations. Because Mahomes has nine years left on his current contract, a new-money APY in excess of $52 million per year would be obtained simply by tacking three years and a penny more than $156 million on the back end of the existing deal.

The real question will become the value of the contract from the moment it’s signed. Also relevant to the analysis will be the full guarantee at signing, and the cash flow in the first three years of the revised deal.

In 2020, Mahomes swapped a high APY and a complicated but lucrative guarantee structure for cash flow in the years that were most likely to be affected by the pandemic. Now that those days have come and gone, the cash flow can be boosted in the early years of a revised deal.

Whether big-picture proclamations or devilish details, a new deal is coming for Mahomes, sooner than later. He has more than earned it — and with each new quarterback deal that is done, his own situation becomes more glaring. Look for that to at least be partially rectified in the coming weeks or months.

Ultimately, Mahomes is trying to strike the balance of fair compensation with leaving enough cash behind to have a team that lets him pursue championships and, ultimately, to chase Tom Brady’s all-time record of seven championships. Mahomes needs five to tie, six to win.

While not yet a real threat to Brady, Mahomes isn’t far from making things interesting. And that could be enough to get Brady interested in trying to get to No. 8 before it’s all said and done, just in case.

[Reply]
PHOG 02:23 PM 05-09-2023
I hate Patrick Mahomes/ Mike Whorio
[Reply]
poolboy 02:27 PM 05-09-2023
Veach didnt vow anything....He said, of course, that they would look at it..and Bradys coming back if Mahomes signs a new one?
Did anybody listen to that Veach presser?
[Reply]
FlaChief58 02:31 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Florio might not realize this but he just completed year 1 of his 10 year contract. Chiefs really shouldn't renegotiate for a couple more years.
In his mind, he's convinced himself that Patrick is actually in year 3 (I don't get it either). But that's how he's justifying saying that Mahomes is getting ripped off and is too dumb to realize it...
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:35 PM 05-09-2023
So the deal expires in 9 years. Do people think QBs will be getting $60 million per year by then? Probably. How about $70 million?

By the end of Mahomes current deal he's in the 50s per year. Is that percentage REALLY that much lower than the top?

Yes, it's lower. Yes, he deserves to be the highest paid QB. But Brady probably took the same percentage less than the top QB salary in New England, if not more. We're still gonna bitch?
[Reply]
JPH83 02:36 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Suck it Florio.

Said it elsewhere but 1) F*** that pathetic, baiting turd Florio and 2) This is who Mahomes is. Florio doesn't get it.
[Reply]
poolboy 02:37 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
So the deal expires in 9 years. Do people think QBs will be getting $60 million per year by then? Probably. How about $70 million?

By the end of Mahomes current deal he's in the 50s per year. Is that percentage REALLY that much lower than the top?

Yes, it's lower. Yes, he deserves to be the highest paid QB. But Brady probably took the same percentage less than the top QB salary in New England, if not more. We're still gonna bitch?
at the end of the day, Mahomes is gonna be rich as fuck and the Chiefs will still be competing for a Lombardi
[Reply]
alpha_omega 02:46 PM 05-09-2023
Ha. Florio is just mad cuz he's stuck on Peacock now.
[Reply]
Jamie 02:56 PM 05-09-2023
Far be it from me to play the race card here, but it is odd that when Tom Brady takes a team friendly deal he's a team player who just wants to win, but when Mahomes does it he's a dumbass who is getting taken advantage of and doesn't know any better.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:58 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Far be it from me to play the race card here, but it is odd that when Tom Brady takes a team friendly deal he's a team player who just wants to win, but when Mahomes does it he's a dumbass who is getting taken advantage of and doesn't know any better.
Probably more East Coast bias thing. But yeah, it's ridiculous.
[Reply]
Jamie 03:03 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Probably more East Coast bias thing. But yeah, it's ridiculous.
You're probably right, but it would be entertaining to see Florio have to defend himself.
[Reply]
oldman 03:13 PM 05-09-2023
I don't have a problem with PMII being the highest paid QB in the NFL because he's the best QB in the NFL. But I fail to understand why Florio is beating this drum now. It's none of his fucking business. If Patrick or his agent feels he's underpaid, let them take it up with Clark and Veach. They're big enough gents to TCB without any help from the little guy who needs filler for his latest column.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 03:17 PM 05-09-2023
Some guys here are protective of Florio's anus. Or maybe they admire Ugandans with AIDS. Time may tell.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:21 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by oldman:
I don't have a problem with PMII being the highest paid QB in the NFL because he's the best QB in the NFL. But I fail to understand why Florio is beating this drum now. It's none of his ****ing business. If Patrick or his agent feels he's underpaid, let them take it up with Clark and Veach. They're big enough gents to TCB without any help from the little guy who needs filler for his latest column.
A celebrity QB's contract has any privacy?

What are you smoking?
[Reply]
jettio 04:09 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Florio says Lamar Jackson needs an agent when talks seem stalled, but then ignores that Mahomes has good representation when calling Mahomes a victim of sophisticated predators taking advantage of his pure soul.
[Reply]
jettio 04:11 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by oldman:
I don't have a problem with PMII being the highest paid QB in the NFL because he's the best QB in the NFL. But I fail to understand why Florio is beating this drum now. It's none of his ****ing business. If Patrick or his agent feels he's underpaid, let them take it up with Clark and Veach. They're big enough gents to TCB without any help from the little guy who needs filler for his latest column.
Florio makes a little money if he starts some nonsense that circulates across social media.

Florio is preying on Mahomes name image and likeness to make a little social media chump change.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 21
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up