ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 112
« First < 394546474849 505152535999 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign UDFA Justyn Ross
ShowtimeSBMVP 10:28 AM 05-02-2022

Clemson WR Justyn Ross is signing with the #Chiefs to their 90-man roster, per source.

Ross led the ACC in receiving as a freshman in 2018, ranked fifth nationally with 21.7 YPC and was second in receiving touchdowns. He also stands 6-3, 210 pounds. High quality addition for

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) May 2, 2022

[Reply]
myselff77 01:32 PM 02-23-2023
If you can get him in uniform, there's probably a good chance the Chiefs can at the very least trade him for a 6th and conditional 3rd round pick with then Ross returning a long punt return in the Super Bowl for the team that acquires him...
[Reply]
mkp785 01:48 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
IR allowed the Chiefs to stash him. He may never play for the Chiefs, but this allowed them to keep him for the year while he got healthy.
If they did all of that you'd have to figure he is in their plans for 23. He's had a full year to get healthy so maybe they have their burner. Let him get used to things this year and finally play.

He could be the MVS replacement come this time next year.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 02:26 PM 02-23-2023
The Law Firm of Ross & Ross coming to Arrowhead in 2023....John and Justyn
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:26 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by mkp785:
If they did all of that you'd have to figure he is in their plans for 23. He's had a full year to get healthy so maybe they have their burner. Let him get used to things this year and finally play.

Wow.

Just....wow.

Justyn Ross, when HEALTHY, is none of those things. At his very best he wasn't a burner. He's not an MVS style of player at all.

Even at his peak as a freshman he was essentially a lanky JuJu.

C'mon folks, the kid went undrafted. Where guys like Jameson Williams and Jeffery Simmons were 1st round picks coming off severe injuries.

He's not very good, fellas. He never will be.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 02:30 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wow.

Just....wow.

Justyn Ross, when HEALTHY, is none of those things. At his very best he wasn't a burner. He's not an MVS style of player at all.

C'mon folks, the kid went undrafted. Where guys like Jameson Williams and Jeffery Simmons were 1st round picks coming off severe injuries.

It's the other Ross on the Chiefs' roster, John, that would be the MVS burner type.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:41 PM 02-23-2023
He's a broke dick won't even make it out of camp
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:42 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
It's the other Ross on the Chiefs' roster, John, that would be the MVS burner type.
He's 28 years old and has 60 career receptions.

He's about as likely to be MVS as he is to be Jerry Rice.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 02:45 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wow.

Just....wow.

Every team also passed on Trey Smith because of injuries until the 6th round and so if the Chiefs hadn't have picked him he could have gone undrafted too.

A ligament injury like Williams isn't the same as the issues Ross or Smith had. It is well documented how much work our medical team did on Smith compared to the rest of the teams.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:46 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by Dull Tools:
Every team also passed on Trey Smith because of injuries until the 6th
Yeah that's wrong.
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:53 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by mkp785:

He ran a 4.63 40. He has never been very fast in comparison to NFL wide receivers.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:55 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by Dull Tools:
Every team also passed on Trey Smith because of injuries until the 6th round and so if the Chiefs hadn't have picked him he could have gone undrafted too.

A ligament injury like Williams isn't the same as the issues Ross or Smith had. It is well documented how much work our medical team did on Smith compared to the rest of the teams.
Trey Smith was a 2nd or 3rd round graded prospect independent of injuries who's health concerns pushed him down 3-4 rounds. That's fairly standard for 2nd day picks, really.

You know who goes undrafted because of medical concerns? 3rd day picks. And that's what Justyn Ross was - even BEFORE the health flags. He was a 3rd or 4th round talent and that's why he went undrafted.

The guy simply wasn't the talent at any point in his career that so many people seem to think he was. He was a completely worthwhile gamble, but that's all he is. A guy you have on the roster as the 8th or 9th option going into camp hoping he can steal a job. But you damn sure don't expect him to amount to anything.

Because 20-1 says he just won't.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:56 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
He ran a 4.63 40. He has never been very fast in comparison to NFL wide receivers.
I don't wanna beat a dead horse here because i am rooting for the guy, but he wasn't an UDFA just because of his injury history....
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:57 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Nick Bolton runs a 4.6 40 and we get to hear about how he's an athletically limited linebacker.

Justyn Ross runs a 4.63 and we have folks calling him a burner.

Aight.
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:58 PM 02-23-2023
27-year-old John Ross's contract for 2023, if he makes the team, is for $940,000.
23-year-old Justyn Ross's contract for 2023, if he makes the team, is for $750,000.

That is the required NFL minimum those players could be signed for.

Brett Veach and the Chiefs are not committing to either player.

If we get something out of either player, it will be nice. If not, Brett will continue looking for other players that will help the team.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:59 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Well, lets watch and lets talk about it.

And i'll preface this by saying:

1. College stats don't matter to me. Meaningless. I don't even look at them. I couldn't tell you what the stats are for our picks this year. I couldn't even get in the ball park. Context of the stats matter way way more.

2. I'm not saying the guy can't be Keenan Allen. Not saying that at all. I'm never going to bet against a WR who's paired with Reid and Mahomes.

With that said, i WILL show you why i'm skeptical.

:16 seconds: WR Screen. Obviously not his game and unlikely he’ll be asked to do much of this at the pro level. But you can see how slowly he moves through this. No sudden burst. No real speed exhibited there. The Furman defense simply gave up on the play and looked terrible. Terrible level of competition. The only thing I took from this play is that he’s not particularly sudden. He doesn’t “shoot out of a canon” with the ball in his hands.

:32 Seconds: Wide open blown coverage. Both DB’s take horrible angles and whiff on the tackle. It wasn’t so much what Ross did here, it’s more what Georgia Southern DIDN’T do. Nothing I can take from this play.

:55 Seconds: Another blown coverage. He outruns the GA Tech safety, whoever that is. That’s nice. But nothing I can really take from that play.

1:04: Another blown zone coverage. The defense just let him by and it was nothing but grass. He outran the Wake Forest safety, whoever that is. That’s nice. But nothing I can really take from that play.

1:14: He get open over the middle and fails to out run the DB. I’d expect an elite WR to house this play. There was nothing but green grass in front of him. Not only could he not out run the FL St corner, they actually caught him from behind.

1:24: Separated at the top of his route in single coverage. Slight push off, but they never call that shit. Adjusted to the ball in the air well. Good NFL level play.

1:32: Beat his man who attempted to press him. He played through the press, the Duke DB got caught peeking into the backfield. Ankle tackled by the safety. Would like to see him turn that into 6 there. Nice play regardless.

1:47: Slight push off at the top the route. Again, w/e. They never call that shit. Nice adjustment to the ball on that “back shoulder throw” (really just a poor throw by the QB). Nice play.

2:03: Flea Flicker. Blown coverage. Despite the DB getting beat badly by the play design, he was still able to recover and tackle Ross. Again, with a blow that bad, you’d like to see Ross get into the endzone on that.

2:15: 1v1 down the sideline. Failed to separate. Nice catch. Played through the physicality of the DB. That’s an NFL level play.

2:34: Looks like he beat a Linebacker. Didn’t really separate well against the LB. This play was more product of design than anything Ross did. Which is becoming a theme here.

2:47: Blown coverage. DB fell down. Safety takes a bad angle and stumbles. #21 and #2 still almost run him down.

3:05: Amazing catch. He beats the attempted press coverage with a nice move inside. Some hand fighting in there. Again, can’t separate too well. NFL level play regardless.

3:23: Probably the greatest catch of his collegiate career.
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
That's a whole lot of stats that were amassed off of blown coverages, good play design and poor level of competition. Not a whole lot of plays in that video where you can say that Ross CREATED that play. That he MADE that happen.

Consistent themes:

1. Benefitted largely from blown coverages and inferior competition. That happens when you're Clemson.

2. Almost never created separation on his own.

3. Inferior DB's were seemingly running right there with him, or were able to close on him.

4. Video demonstrated almost nothing in terms of actual route running. Everything was a slant or a go route of some sort.

Positives:

1. Dude is large and plays large.

2. Excellent hands

3. Shows the ability to go up and fight for the ball.

4. Has some physicallity to his game.

Look, im not DOWN on him, but i certainly have some questions, because his college stuff didn't show many NFL caliber plays, stats be damned. I'm in the, "I'll believe it when i see it" camp.
Just gonna go ahead and quote myself because, well, here we are again.

Again....rooting for the guy, hope he proves me wrong....but everything ive seen only verifies why he was a UDRFA
[Reply]
Page 49 of 112
« First < 394546474849 505152535999 > Last »
Up