ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>First round WR
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 11-16-2022
Who would have to slip for you to be willing to make that move over DL or OT?

I think a lot of people like Jordan Addison but if we're sitting on the clock and Jaxson Smith-Njigba is on the board, I think I'm making that move.

He was an absolute monster last season and was projected as WR1 in this draft and a potential top 5 pick. He's been battling hamstring injuries all season.

I think he's a potential game-changer and at worst, an absolute monster of an X receiver. Maybe not a true 'burner' but he's very physical, exceptionally strong in his route runner and very good in short areas.

He reminds me quite a bit of Brandon Aiyuk. He's a perfect complement to an athletic monster like Toney and would presumably allow us to move on from JJSS and reallocate that cap space elsewhere.

This is the kind of exercise that has me leaning towards "just take the best player you can get..." as I do most years. Because with the number of keep/walk decisions we have at several key areas, we can shell-game just about any decision we make to ensure that all bases are covered.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:31 PM 11-18-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Right, so one thing that I haven't read anywhere is a larger view of the NFL.

A lot of teams went hog on the WR position and exploded the market. The real problem is you can make an argument that it worked. Especially for Reek. We'll see how the Eagles end up, but that contract looks pretty good too. And going back a couple years, Diggs was around when Allen hit his stride. But you can look at Jacksonville and the Kirk contract and say SEE!!!! I TOLD YOU GUYS.

Now obviously guys making that argument will magically forget about how the Faid looks with DeVante's contract (which is largely responsible for the contract eplosion) or Hopkins contract in Arizona.

Of course, I'm going to argue competent coaching is responsible for a lot of it. Certainly in Miami and Jacksonville. Probably in Buffalo too.

Accordingly, it looks to me like the market isn't going to moderate any time soon.

tl;dr: WR Salaries probably aren't going to moderate. Draft one. Or 5.
So long as the cap grows, contracts grow. The WR landscape has exploded. We've also seen some others quietly get up there at RB and LB.

I'm not paying a WR 30+ unless he's RARE and I'm absolutely not paying a RB 15+.

I think both positions should be visited regularly. You look at WR and you carry 5. That pretty well makes the argument you draft 1 every year. Similarly, RBs burn out quickly in this league. I think you have to visit that position regularly and I'd like to see a day 3 pick every other year at least.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:28 PM 11-18-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
(whispers)
Quentin. Johnson. Who won't be available
(/whispers)
He will NOT be available.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:36 PM 11-18-2022
So my thought revolves around Clark having the draft in KC. I REALLY believe he is going to want to make a statement in "his" house. I can really see him going all in for either a LT, DE or another player that is "hot" prior to the draft. He then has the soccer thing coming to KC so he wants to "Shine" in both events. Just my .02 - he wants KC on the map IMHO. It should be KC's year if you will.
[Reply]
kcbubb 11:00 AM 11-22-2022
A wr better have hof potential in his emotional intelligence, athleticism and everything if pass up quality oline or dline help. Pat and Andy have proven that we can we a number 1 offense without upper tier talent at wr. When Pat has time, he can make jags like Justin watson look great. We need to protect our hof qb. That’s priority 1 for me.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:24 PM 11-22-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
A wr better have hof potential in his emotional intelligence, athleticism and everything if pass up quality oline or dline help. Pat and Andy have proven that we can we a number 1 offense without upper tier talent at wr. When Pat has time, he can make jags like Justin watson look great. We need to protect our hof qb. That’s priority 1 for me.
I’ll keep harping on this point, but they’ve proven that with the best TE of all time on the roster. Let’s not act like he’s throwing to all scrubs. The calculus may change whenever Kelce is no longer “Kelce”. Maybe that doesn’t happen for another 5 years, who knows, but you can’t just assume Mahomes will always function the same with a bunch of JAGs.
[Reply]
kcbubb 08:16 PM 11-23-2022
Good point. If kelce isn’t kelce, I’d agree that wr would need to be more of a consideration but mahomes will still need more help on the oline. If you have a qb like that, you have to protect him. Plus we have young wrs in toney and sky Moore: why not wait and see if they develop? And kelce isn’t showing any signs of slowing down yet. We have an immediate need at RT.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 07:58 AM 11-24-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Good point. If kelce isn’t kelce, I’d agree that wr would need to be more of a consideration but mahomes will still need more help on the oline. If you have a qb like that, you have to protect him. Plus we have young wrs in toney and sky Moore: why not wait and see if they develop? And kelce isn’t showing any signs of slowing down yet. We have an immediate need at RT.
I agree. I think a first round WR is more of a consideration in 24/25.

If we could could keep JSS, Watson, Toney and Moore and then add a mid round pick this year then we should be in a great position next year cap wise and talent wise.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up