ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>First round WR
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 11-16-2022
Who would have to slip for you to be willing to make that move over DL or OT?

I think a lot of people like Jordan Addison but if we're sitting on the clock and Jaxson Smith-Njigba is on the board, I think I'm making that move.

He was an absolute monster last season and was projected as WR1 in this draft and a potential top 5 pick. He's been battling hamstring injuries all season.

I think he's a potential game-changer and at worst, an absolute monster of an X receiver. Maybe not a true 'burner' but he's very physical, exceptionally strong in his route runner and very good in short areas.

He reminds me quite a bit of Brandon Aiyuk. He's a perfect complement to an athletic monster like Toney and would presumably allow us to move on from JJSS and reallocate that cap space elsewhere.

This is the kind of exercise that has me leaning towards "just take the best player you can get..." as I do most years. Because with the number of keep/walk decisions we have at several key areas, we can shell-game just about any decision we make to ensure that all bases are covered.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:12 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
So in other words, the first round produces nearly half of all top receivers and the other 50% comes from the other 6 rounds? Sure seems like the first round is still your best bet then.
Well, you have 8/20 in the 1st and 7/20 in the 2nd. The rest is a crapshoot but 3/20 in the 3rd.

It's pretty well as likely you'll get one in the 2nd as the 1st but you most probably have to get one in one of those rounds.

I'm a champion of taking WRs in the 2nd and have been for a while. They have to be a pretty unique talent for me to want one in the 1st.

That's why I specifically mentioned Hyatt. He has game-changing speed and is a phenomenal talent. He's much like Jameson Williams but I'd argue he's faster.

You're not getting that guy in the 2nd. Now, you might be able to get a guy with some questions off of the field like Tyreek outside the 1st with a similar skill set. We also need to remember Tyreek was a RB in college and is a unicorn/outlier we probably shouldn't include in any reasonable analysis.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:14 AM 11-17-2022
On the assumption that OBJ and JJSS are back, what order/combination of OT, DE or WR would you all pick across the first 3 rounds? Or would it simply remain BPA?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:14 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
We also need to remember Tyreek was a RB in college and is a unicorn/outlier we probably shouldn't include in any reasonable analysis.
Exactly.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:15 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
On the assumption that OBJ and JJSS are back, what order/combination of OT, DE or WR would you all pick across the first 3 rounds? Or would it simply remain BPA?
If Juju and Brown are both back, I'd be looking hard at DE/DT for sure. Still going to lean BPA (can't take just any old DL) but would definitely try and target DL if there's one there.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:18 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If Juju and Brown are both back, I'd be looking hard at DE/DT for sure. Still going to lean BPA (can't take just any old DL) but would definitely try and target DL if there's one there.
Yeah on reflection I think it's BPA, but if the talent feels much of a muchness I'm probably going OT, DE, WR, DT. If there's a DT who feels like a steal over the DEs left I'd proabably go there.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:37 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Depends on the contracts.

I'll assume, for the sake of this argument, that we've signed OBjr to a 5-year contract and JuJu to a 3-year contract because that seems to be what they'd likely get offered.

I'm not against BPA but at this point, the team has only 1 major need and that's getting after the QB. I'd probably put a lot of eggs in one basket and move up for one of the few "elite" defensive ends.

That said, it seems you're asking a leading question about staying put.

Primary would be the best DE, DT, or RT available. I mean, you don't know what's going to be there but Siaki Ika or Gervon Dexter would be my preferences at DT and we'll have to see where things settle in at DE and RT. Ryan Hayes from Michigan might be a legit option for a RT.

Going into 3 I'd maintain those positions as a priority if I didn't fill reasonably in 1/2 but maybe I look for a LB since Gay will be a FA in 2024 and also RB or TE.

I wouldn't rule out a WR in 2/3 if the value fell. I mean, you don't know right now what Moore is, MVS is upgradeable, and you really don't have receivers 5/6 nailed down with certainty.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:47 AM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Depends on the contracts.

I'll assume, for the sake of this argument, that we've signed OBjr to a 5-year contract and JuJu to a 3-year contract because that seems to be what they'd likely get offered.

I'm not against BPA but at this point, the team has only 1 major need and that's getting after the QB. I'd probably put a lot of eggs in one basket and move up for one of the few "elite" defensive ends.

That said, it seems you're asking a leading question about staying put.

Primary would be the best DE, DT, or RT available. I mean, you don't know what's going to be there but Siaki Ika or Gervon Dexter would be my preferences at DT and we'll have to see where things settle in at DE and RT. Ryan Hayes from Michigan might be a legit option for a RT.

Going into 3 I'd maintain those positions as a priority if I didn't fill reasonably in 1/2 but maybe I look for a LB since Gay will be a FA in 2024 and also RB or TE.

I wouldn't rule out a WR in 2/3 if the value fell. I mean, you don't know right now what Moore is, MVS is upgradeable, and you really don't have receivers 5/6 nailed down with certainty.
My thinking was the need is still also the RT and keeping Mahomes protected, particularly as Smith is the other guy whose struggled in patches this year. But as I've said elsewhere my priority is elite offense (better DJ?) so that clouds things. If we went DE first, I can't hate it. It is a glaring hole no doubt.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:56 PM 11-17-2022
If they bring back Smith-Schuster and Orlando Brown, I'd think KC is at that point looking at DE/DT pretty heavily. Unless someone that is a legit top 15 talent falls, then they take that person at 31 (or maybe a little higher).

Quentin Johnson would be a monster here. But shoot, so would Rashee Rice (i'm on the train, kccrow. Ya got me).
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:01 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If they bring back Smith-Schuster and Orlando Brown, I'd think KC is at that point looking at DE/DT pretty heavily. Unless someone that is a legit top 15 talent falls, then they take that person at 31 (or maybe a little higher).

Quentin Johnson would be a monster here. But shoot, so would Rashee Rice (i'm on the train, kccrow. Ya got me).
31?

We ain't losing the SB brah.
[Reply]
O.city 01:13 PM 11-17-2022
If we bring those 2 back, just start drafting BPA as much as you can. Just load up as much talent on defense as you can.
[Reply]
KC Hawks 01:47 PM 11-17-2022
31?

Only 31 picks in the first round next year (Dolphins lost their pick).
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:48 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by KC Hawks:
Only 31 picks in the first round next year (Dolphins lost their pick).
Ah that's right!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:49 PM 11-17-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
If we bring those 2 back, just start drafting BPA as much as you can. Just load up as much talent on defense as you can.
FYP

31?

Hawk beat me to it. Because the Dolphins are cheating losers, only 31 first round picks.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:46 PM 11-17-2022
Not seeing Mims from OU in mocks. Uh it’s early but if he’s there for us….
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:06 AM 11-18-2022
Right, so one thing that I haven't read anywhere is a larger view of the NFL.

A lot of teams went hog on the WR position and exploded the market. The real problem is you can make an argument that it worked. Especially for Reek. We'll see how the Eagles end up, but that contract looks pretty good too. And going back a couple years, Diggs was around when Allen hit his stride. But you can look at Jacksonville and the Kirk contract and say SEE!!!! I TOLD YOU GUYS.

Now obviously guys making that argument will magically forget about how the Faid looks with DeVante's contract (which is largely responsible for the contract eplosion) or Hopkins contract in Arizona.

Of course, I'm going to argue competent coaching is responsible for a lot of it. Certainly in Miami and Jacksonville. Probably in Buffalo too.

Accordingly, it looks to me like the market isn't going to moderate any time soon.

tl;dr: WR Salaries probably aren't going to moderate. Draft one. Or 5.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up