ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I’d trade two firsts for DE Josh Allen.
Direckshun 04:19 PM 10-29-2022
Just saying.
[Reply]
poolboy 10:29 AM 11-01-2022
Improvement by George is our only option
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:51 PM 11-01-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
They can get that effect more cheaply than the price you’re OK with here.

A good complementary rusher can help them get them.

All of 2022 has been about setting up for the next window and creating flexibility for it. If they trade two firsts for Allen and pay him like they’ll have to, they have walked back most of that.
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Exactly.

The problem is that we simply didn't try hard enough for that complementary pass rusher in the off-season.

But that cake's been baked. I'm not sure what else can be done at this point.
I'll tell you what can be done: you can trade for Josh Allen. (I've stated my top-end price, yours is likely different.) Allen fits our cap right now if we did.

I am not comfortable punting on 2022. I thought we would likely have to because of the bullet-biting we've had to do with the cap. And I know everything opens up in 2023.

But look at this team. We just beat the living tar out of 2 of the 3 defenses in the NFL, and absent a couple bounces that went against us, we'd have beat 3 of the top 3 against the Bills.

Assuming this team stays healthy, there is one team in the NFL that can stop us, and Josh Allen is the acquisition that may tip the scales our way.

Even if it doesn't, you enter 2023 with a couple good DEs (Allen/Karlaftis), a top end rotational DE in Danna, room for more additions and Chris Jones in the middle.

Once again, if you pair that Spags' elite back-seven schemes, and Reid/Mahomes on the other side of the ball, that's multiple Super Bowls.

I don't know what you'd trade for that, but I've stated my top-end price tag.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:38 PM 11-01-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I'll tell you what can be done: you can trade for Josh Allen. (I've stated my top-end price, yours is likely different.) Allen fits our cap right now if we did.

I am not comfortable punting on 2022. I thought we would likely have to because of the bullet-biting we've had to do with the cap. And I know everything opens up in 2023.

But look at this team. We just beat the living tar out of 2 of the 3 defenses in the NFL, and absent a couple bounces that went against us, we'd have beat 3 of the top 3 against the Bills.

Assuming this team stays healthy, there is one team in the NFL that can stop us, and Josh Allen is the acquisition that may tip the scales our way.

Even if it doesn't, you enter 2023 with a couple good DEs (Allen/Karlaftis), a top end rotational DE in Danna, room for more additions and Chris Jones in the middle.

Once again, if you pair that Spags' elite back-seven schemes, and Reid/Mahomes on the other side of the ball, that's multiple Super Bowls.

I don't know what you'd trade for that, but I've stated my top-end price tag.
You're nuts.
[Reply]
Direckshun 06:01 PM 11-01-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
You're nuts.
Well it’s hard to refute that iron clad logic.

Not that it matters. Looking forward to watching the Chiefs draft a high upside right tackle at #30 at Union Station after listening to almost all of you piss and moan about how the Chiefs couldn’t bring QB Josh Allen down in the AFCCG.
[Reply]
srvy 07:48 PM 11-01-2022
Just saying.
:-):-)

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:32 PM 11-01-2022

Not that it matters. Looking forward to watching the Chiefs draft a high upside right tackle at #30 at Union Station after listening to almost all of you piss and moan about how the Chiefs couldn’t bring QB Josh Allen down in the AFCCG.
Have you looked at this class? There might be a T who is a legitimately excellent fit for them available in that range. Or a DE.

And they definitely have the ammo to again move up to 20-22 if needed.

Jacksonville Josh Allen is not the difference between beating the Bills and not. That's going to come down to the offense being efficient (I don't think they showed the Bills any new wrinkles, and they definitely have some) and which team is healthier.

Allen would make it easier. Maybe. But we're not talking about a drastic swing that's worth blowing it out for. He's a good player, not great. He isn't a centerpiece edge rusher, and he isn't a dynamic, immediate pocket collapser.

Not trading for Allen now doesn't mean boring-ly sitting pat at 31 in the next draft. Yeah. 31. They're winning this thing.

Also: If they go that route, it leaves the Chiefs with cash and flexibility to pursue, say, Da'ron Payne in free agency, who likely is cheaper than Allen long-term and has just as much impact. While still being free to trade up for the T that fits this scheme long-term (Jaelyn Duncan? Zion Nelson? etc.) if they need to. Or drafting a bendier edge rusher to pair with Karlaftis.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:42 PM 11-01-2022

So you've already given up on the playoffs, huh?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:58 AM 11-02-2022

Trading multiple ones for anything other than a franchise QB is bad value in my opinion, but you don't do that for a second tier pass rusher. You just don't.

I'd have been on board with a first for Allen OR for Burns. You usually can't get a second tier pass rusher picking in the 30's. To me, that's a good shot to take, and worth the risk. But two? No way.

We're not the 2018 Chiefs. We're not trying to climb the mountain. We're trying to STAY at the top of the mountain. It's a totally different process, and you have not adjusted your thinking.

This team is championship level, and you don't mortgage your future for one shot; we have a shot EVERY YEAR as long as we keep adding talent and developing it.

Is this defense better than 2021's? I think it is already, and will continue to get better as the season goes on. There are SO MANY rookies taking snaps, it's logical that they will continue to improve.

Is this offense better than 2021's? Yes, it does in fact appear to be, despite sending Hill packing. It's more varied, less predictable. Statistically speaking it's no question. And once again, it's improving every week as the WR's and Mahomes get more and more on the same page.

Buffalo's damned good. I expect we'll see them in the play-offs, and it'll come down to a play here or there to win it.

I wouldn't bet against Mahomes and Reid in that situation.
[Reply]
O.city 07:23 AM 11-02-2022
I just can't swing 2 firsts for a non QB. Maybe I could do it for a LT, but even then, I just don't think you're getting your payoff.

1 first? Sure.

2? Nah. Probably a no from me.

I think you've gotta go into this next draft looking for a long term T fix, be it a RT that can then swing to LT or a pure LT an dlet OBJ walk. OBJ is pretty ingrained in the locker room with Mahomes and company, I just can't see them letting him walk if the money is close.

So that being said, if they can get him for a couple years of guaranteed money, you'd atleast have time to see how your drafted T does. If that works out, I don't think I'd be as inclined to burn picks moving up for a T as there will be some developmental RT guys there in round 2 ish.

They've gotta beef up the pass rush. Be it in FA, the draft and or both.
[Reply]
O.city 07:25 AM 11-02-2022
Resign Jones to an extension and sign Payne. That's a really nice dynamic 1/2 there in the middle and find your DE in the draft.
[Reply]
raybec 4 07:33 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Resign Jones to an extension and sign Payne. That's a really nice dynamic 1/2 there in the middle and find your DE in the draft.
They really need someone else to make offenses worry. Jones can't do it alone and George isn't that guy yet. It doesn't need to be spectacular, it just needs to be someone who will demand some attention. Obviously Frank Shart isn't that guy for more than 5 plays a season so they need someone that they can count on.

Richardson or Suh for the remainder of 22 and a free agent for 23 along with a draft focus should be enough.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:39 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
They really need someone else to make offenses worry. Jones can't do it alone and George isn't that guy yet. It doesn't need to be spectacular, it just needs to be someone who will demand some attention. Obviously Frank Shart isn't that guy for more than 5 plays a season so they need someone that they can count on.

Richardson or Suh for the remainder of 22 and a free agent for 23 along with a draft focus should be enough.
Gimme Richardson.
[Reply]
O.city 07:40 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:

I don't think Karlaftis will ever be THAT guy but that's not really his purpose. He could develop into it, for sure, but I don't' know that even they think he'll be that.

Jones is, but they just are in dire need of another DE that can get to the QB. It's gonna be tougher to find that guy in a single player in the late first so I'd probably just throw numbers at it like they did with the CB spot.
[Reply]
O.city 07:40 AM 11-02-2022
I just don't know that a guy that's been on the couch for months is gonna come in and make much impact.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:56 AM 11-02-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Have you looked at this class? There might be a T who is a legitimately excellent fit for them available in that range. Or a DE.

And they definitely have the ammo to again move up to 20-22 if needed.

Jacksonville Josh Allen is not the difference between beating the Bills and not. That's going to come down to the offense being efficient (I don't think they showed the Bills any new wrinkles, and they definitely have some) and which team is healthier.

Allen would make it easier. Maybe. But we're not talking about a drastic swing that's worth blowing it out for. He's a good player, not great. He isn't a centerpiece edge rusher, and he isn't a dynamic, immediate pocket collapser.

Not trading for Allen now doesn't mean boring-ly sitting pat at 31 in the next draft. Yeah. 31. They're winning this thing.

Also: If they go that route, it leaves the Chiefs with cash and flexibility to pursue, say, Da'ron Payne in free agency, who likely is cheaper than Allen long-term and has just as much impact. While still being free to trade up for the T that fits this scheme long-term (Jaelyn Duncan? Zion Nelson? etc.) if they need to. Or drafting a bendier edge rusher to pair with Karlaftis.
This is all fair, honestly. But I just disagree.

The thing about the draft: it can't help your team until 2023. And the Chiefs in 2022 are the 2nd best team in football, within a whisker of the best team in football, and only need a piece or two to overcome them.

And listen: I know you disagree with trading for Allen, and I honestly do believe that's a fair position.

But you're doing yourself a disservice when you say "maybe Allen makes us better, who knows!?" That's ridiculous. We can't rely on a solid Carlos Dunlap and the husk of Frank Clark, and hope that Karlaftis and Danna suddenly become guys they're not in Buffalo in January. That's just not going to get the job done, as we saw.

We need penetration, and we need it constantly. And for the record, we're going to need it for the next five years.

Allen is, for my money, a top 12 passrusher, and he's young. Keeping our pick means we're just hoping we draft him in 2023 instead of trading for him now, and I think that's really foolish when this team is so close with one obvious barrier in our way.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up