The draft class:

2.56. WR Mecole Hardman, Georgia
2.63. S Juan Thornhill, Virginia
3.84. DT Khalen Saunders, Western Illinois
6.201. CB Rashad Fenton, South Carolina
6.214. RB Darwin Thompson, Utah State
7.216. OG/C Nick Allegretti, Illinois

Notable UDFAs: LB Darius Harris, DE Tim Ward

For the complete breakdown of how the Chiefs moved around and got the picks they got, click here:
Spoiler!

I think there's a lot to say about this draft class that tells us a lot about (a.) Brett Veach, (b.) the players themselves, and (c.) the Chiefs coaching staff and organization.

Veach peeled off three of the Chiefs picks, including the all-valuable 1st rounder, to go get DE Frank Clark and LB Reggie Ragland. In doing so, he built two players who were instrumental in winning Super Bowl LIV. In the organization's anxiousness over a looming WR Tyreek Hill suspension (which never came somehow), he peeled off another pick to move up for WR Mecole Hardman.

In doing so, he created for himself an insanely high level of difficulty for his 2019 draft class. Aside from trading off the 1st, he gutted the team's resources in the valuable midrounds to super-charge the team's transition to DC Steve Spagnuolo's 4-3 defensive scheme. Making a team better with only 2nd day picks and late rounders is extremely difficult.

But looking back on it, you have to give Veach a ton of credit here. For the first couple of years, you could almost make the case that his three late-round selections were better than his second day picks; Fenton has been at least a spot starter for the entirety of his time in Kansas City, until Veach traded him away at the trade deadline a week ago. Allegretti has been a reliable backup, and started the entire 2020 season, which ended at the LV Super Bowl. He continues to be a reliable backup now who's almost certainly destined for a starter contract this coming offseason from some other team. (Darwin never took flight, and is one of the rare Veach selections who is currently out of football -- which is a shame because I wanted "Natural Selection" to be his nickname.)

But finally, Hardman and Saunders seems to justify the selections, and Thornhill played above his draft position before his injury and perhaps a little under it since. With the cap crunch that swallowed the team this offseason, we can comfortably say that a big reason this team is as good as it is, is because the 2019 NFL Draft class finally developed.

We can always criticize that he could have taken Player A or B, and obviously DK Metcalf would have been the better pick. But that's true of literally every GM every draft, and so I'm more focused on Veach's actual picks succeeding.

Credit also has to go to Hardman, who from the moment he arrived had to bear the unmeetable expectation that he was as fast as Tyreek Hill, as good as Tyreek Hill, or could blow a game open like Tyreek Hill. None of that was possible, and he's been as maligned as anybody over the course of his rookie contract. Now, of course, he gets some separation, showcases usually-reliable hands, has been featured making awesome catches and plays in the most outrageous Mahomes highlights. (He's also the only Veach pick so far to have made a Pro Bowl -- as a kick returner.)

Hardman deserves the credit for working on his game, for keeping his fun personality, and for growing into the Andy Reid system to perfect the role he has on the squad. We haven't heard anything other than his usual positive feedback out of Mecole following the WR Kadarious Toney acquisition. We're lucky to have the player he is now, and I think all of us expect that he's priced himself out of Kansas City with his play this year, which I'm not sure was true leading up to the season.

Saunders has also finally developed this season, rising to the re-signing of Derrick Nnadi and the signing of Danny Shelton with the proper motivated play. He isn't the brick wall that Prime Mike Pennel was in 2019, but he was the sturdiest lineman we had against the Titans rush attack and gives you some passrush juice as well. Saunders likely should have been the starter all season, and likely will be going forward as the 1-tech with some passrush juice. That's a good pick for a third round pick out of Western Illinois.

The coaching staff consistently kept each of these guys, giving them every chance to emerge, keep feeding them snaps and giving them opportunity. Allegretti gets on the field several times a game as a 6th lineman. None of the guys have ever been at risk of being cut. There's a great conversation to be had as to whether Dorsey/Veach were/are brilliant drafters or if it's the Andy Reid coaching system that maximizes their talent. But we've seen enough failed former 1st rounders cycle through Kansas City without getting their talent magically unearthed.

The 2019 Chiefs Draft class is now, four years later, a Veach master class of using the resources of the draft to give you talent to win now (Clark, Ragland, Thornhill) while building for the intermediate future (Fenton, Allegretti) and distant future (Hardman, Saunders, Thornhill again, Harris).

It gave us what we needed at the time, and is giving us what we need now.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 02:34 PM 11-07-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Veach peeled off three of the Chiefs picks, including the all-valuable 1st rounder, to go get DE Frank Clark and LB Reggie Ragland. In doing so, he built two players who were instrumental in winning Super Bowl LIV.
Wait, what? Veach is awesome, but if memory serves, Ragland was quite possibly the slowest linebacker in NFL history. He had exactly two tackles in Super Bowl LIV, and was nowhere near "instrumental".
[Reply]
JPH83 03:53 AM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Wait, what? Veach is awesome, but if memory serves, Ragland was quite possibly the slowest linebacker in NFL history. He had exactly two tackles in Super Bowl LIV, and was nowhere near "instrumental".
Yeah, I mean how many of those have lived up to their billing or potential? have they contributed at crucial points, sure, but fundamental to the SB win and 2nd appearance, not sure.

I think Fenton has been great value and finally this year Harris too. It's really the first 3 I think, meh. Some value but pretty up and down and hardly cornerstone pieces.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:36 AM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Yeah, I mean how many of those have lived up to their billing or potential? have they contributed at crucial points, sure, but fundamental to the SB win and 2nd appearance, not sure.

I think Fenton has been great value and finally this year Harris too. It's really the first 3 I think, meh. Some value but pretty up and down and hardly cornerstone pieces.
Would you have used a 2nd rounder on Hardman right now?

I probably would.

Saunders for a 3rd? Yeah.

I think all the picks, with the possible exception of Thornhill, maybe, earned their draft status.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:09 AM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Would you have used a 2nd rounder on Hardman right now?

I probably would.

Saunders for a 3rd? Yeah.

I think all the picks, with the possible exception of Thornhill, maybe, earned their draft status.
Thornhill was well on his way to earning it before he got hurt. He just hasn't been the same since.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:11 AM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Thornhill was well on his way to earning it before he got hurt. He just hasn't been the same since.
He's been decent this season though. As long as you can get him for good value...I'd bring him back on a 2nd contract.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:13 AM 11-08-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
He's been decent this season though. As long as you can get him for good value...I'd bring him back on a 2nd contract.
Same here. He's a plus player. It's just sad because he was looking like a budding star before the injury.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:52 AM 11-08-2022
I think this analysis isn't on par with how I feel about it at all so I'll give you mine...

2.56. WR Mecole Hardman, Georgia
I have high regard for 2nd round WRs and feel like most should develop into capable starters. Mecole has never really flashed the ability to be anything but a slot receiver with some mixed-in sweep ability. He's not really special in any facet. He has some nice long speed but can't play at a level that supports his draft stock. You expect returns like this from later 3rd or 4th round WRs. He's not a misfire, but I wouldn't call this a quality selection. I do like Hardman's fit in his role and never expect him to be more than that but I can't applaud moving up for him. Even though I really like Skyy Moore, I'm starting to have some reservations that he may be a similar role player going forward and that's not the best use of a 2nd round pick.

2.63. S Juan Thornhill, Virginia
Thornhill was phenomenal as a rookie and played beyond his draft stock, which was instrumental in the Chiefs winning the title. His injury in 2020 really set his career back as it lingered into year 3. He started to turn back into himself late last year and has looked good this year. He's playing well and, if not for the pick of Cook in this year's 2nd round, I'd have expected him to be back. Now, I'm leaning toward him being left to find another team. That's unfortunate because Thornhill really was the ace of this draft for Veach.

3.84. DT Khalen Saunders, Western Illinois
I can't say I ever put a lot of stock in anything beyond the 2nd round in terms of impact players but I also can't say this was a great pick. Saunders is finally playing good football in his contract year. That said, Saunders looked like a complete whiff until this season, and anyone who says otherwise is foolish. The good thing is, he is playing well now and I'm sure KC makes an attempt to bring him back as Nnadi has fallen off a cliff. You can't say that about a lot of 3rd round picks. Perhaps the best is ahead for Saunders, but you do have to worry about him having a flash-in-the-pan kind of year.

6.201. CB Rashad Fenton, South Carolina
Not much I'm going to say well here. I hated this pick and never liked Fenton. I didn't like him much as a player while he was here. He was okay-ish as a 4th corner but he got beat more than people wanted to admit and I think him being a 6th round pick kept people from nitpicking. If you don't believe me, look at his completion percentage stats over the past few years and see for yourself. Aside from his near 70% completion percentage in 2021, he also committed 7 penalties. He compounded it by giving up 80% this year before being shipped away for a 7th-round pick. I guess KC did get use out of him and didn't lose much in draft stock, so it's not all bad.

6.214. RB Darwin Thompson, Utah State
Sucked ass from day one, so not much to say here.

7.216. OG/C Nick Allegretti, Illinois
Honestly, I feel like this one was a pretty good win by Veach. Allegretti came in on day one with a good attitude and has played ok every time he's been in there. He's probably not the guy you want starting a full season for you, but he can get you by as a reserve. He struggled in 2020 when he got more action with some holding penalties and pressure in the passing game when he had 9 starts. I can't complain too much over a 7th round guy that can at least get it done for you in a pinch, that's all you can rightly expect.

Notable UDFAs: LB Darius Harris, DE Tim Ward

Not much to say about Tim Ward but I do like Darius Harris and I like him on the field more than I like Willie Gay on the field. My eyes said Darius put himself in a better position more often, but maybe that's me. There isn't a "world of difference" between the two, that's evident. A definite good pickup that should have received playing time last season after having a good offseason and didn't. Hopefully, KC will hang onto the kid as long as they can.

You're correct on one thing for sure, it's hard to go back and argue "woulda, coulda, shoulda..." but I feel like Veach left meat on the bone in this draft.

By the way, Veach couldn't do anything about the trade of the 4th rounder for Ragland, that was a move by Dorsey. I wouldn't argue he was instrumental in much of anything in 2019. His only real solid season came in 2018.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:55 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Nah he's been massively up-and-down, which pretty much sums his time up here. All the tools and sometimes looks amazing in coverage, and then games where he can't tackle anything, gets caught out etc.

I'm pretty torn on whether we bring him back. Could see it being a lot of resource in a safety group that's not exactly excelling.
[Reply]
O.city 08:39 AM 11-09-2022
I think you guys are way off in your Hardman evaluations. He's been really good this year and has progressed about as you'd expect.

Yeah, you'd like him to be a bit more of a traditional WR, but he's had some big catches this year and has been open alot.

If Moore develops into that (I don't think he's a replacement for Hardman, doesn't have the foot speed and quickness, will be a different type player) it's a hit.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:43 AM 11-09-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think you guys are way off in your Hardman evaluations. He's been really good this year and has progressed about as you'd expect.

Yeah, you'd like him to be a bit more of a traditional WR, but he's had some big catches this year and has been open alot.

If Moore develops into that (I don't think he's a replacement for Hardman, doesn't have the foot speed and quickness, will be a different type player) it's a hit.
Yeah, I mean he's producing on par with UDFA's like Greg Dortch, Olamide Zaccheaus, and DeAndre Carter, and a late 3rd guy in Devin Duvernay. :-)

I just think there's some fan bias a bit but really don't think he's a step above as a slot.
[Reply]
Up