ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
Direckshun 08:58 AM 12-06-2021
So it has seemed that the playcalling is off this year, no question. It has led a lot of people to speculate that Andy Reid is not making all of the calls.

I personally was not in those ranks; I didn't think there was any chance the Chiefs, who just signed a franchise QB to a half a billion dollar contract, would change up playcalling during a Super Bowl window.

But I do think the Mahomes/Bienemy spat on the sideline gave the game away (because why yell at Bienemy if you hate the playcalls?). And just so you don't think I started a thread based on only my intuition, my suspicions were echoed by extremely sharp Chiefs analysts Tod Palmer and Nick Jacobs on their "4th & 1" podcast. They don't think Reid is calling all the plays.

There is some circumstantial evidence to that. The Chiefs have been run-happier-than-usual on 2nd & longs for much of the season.

We've also seen Mahomes demand plays coming in repeatedly this year, which I've suspected was a kind of angst or anxiety but I think what's happening there is Bienemy's playcalling rhythms may be slower than Reid's, with whom Pat's synced up with for years.

I think I read Mahomes' lips during the sideline spat, saying "call the fucking play" and "call it." Which could very well be a dispute over the playcalling itself, or really just the rhythm.

Either way, that may account for some wonkiness in Mahomes' play this year.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 04:07 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
35-45 mph wind can affect the flight of a football.
Been a windy season huh…..
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:08 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
Skip Bayless says he's never seen a young QB fall as far as Mahomes has fallen. And he says Mahomes has the WORST throwing motion / mechanics / footwork in the NFL. (Yeah Skip, Pat is no Dak. :-))

Seems like a lot of people here would benefit from moving away from Skip Bayless as their primary source of sports "journalism"
[Reply]
T-post Tom 04:38 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Seems like a lot of people here would benefit from moving away from Skip Bayless as their primary source of sports "journalism"
I doubt anyone here uses Skip as their primary source of information. But it’s hard to resist sharing his historically bad football takes. He makes a good punching bag. I’m sure in his mind, there is no such thing as bad publicity. And I like the dancing gif. So it’s a win – win for everyone. And ty 4 your interest in my post! :-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:43 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Listening to First Take today (I know I know) Ryan Clark stated an interesting stat. In the last 5 games Mahomes leads the league in off target throws with 37.
Yikes. Figured it wasn't good but didn't think he'd be league worst.
[Reply]
Rausch 05:32 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
We were not routinely dropping six ****ing passes.
Go back and look at the Texans playoff game. Look at the Titans playoff game.

Dropped passes are nothing new. Mahomes being off target is something new.

Not having 2 shut down Tackles that allow WR's to get deep is new.

Remember how Pat use to drop 10 or 15 yards deep to give guys time to get down field? He can't do that with Gumby at RT and Brown at LT.
[Reply]
mabbott 05:35 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Go back and look at the Texans playoff game. Look at the Titans playoff game.

Dropped passes are nothing new. Mahomes being off target is something new.

Not having 2 shut down Tackles that allow WR's to get deep is new.

Remember how Pat use to drop 10 or 15 yards deep to give guys time to get down field? He can't do that with Gumby at RT and Brown at LT.
I keep hoping that Brown will get better but I am not seeing it.
[Reply]
Skyy God 06:03 PM 12-06-2021
I’m on board with the theory.

May be time for a Kafka promotion.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:36 PM 12-06-2021
Do we have it confirmed from anyone that EB is calling the plays? And if he is, the drop in production doesn’t bode well speaking to the next team wanting him as a new head coach.

Is it Andy scripting those first 15 and then EB takes over? Nothing confirmed? Correct?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:39 PM 12-06-2021
Skip Bayless says he's never seen a young QB fall as far as Mahomes has fallen. And he says Mahomes has the WORST throwing motion / mechanics / footwork in the NFL. (Yeah Skip, Pat is no Dak. :-))
I’ve heard that same take from others in national media since yesterdays game.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:40 PM 12-06-2021
But the playcalling is fine...COME ON.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:41 PM 12-06-2021
I believe that it is the playcalling more than anything else. This team has dealt with dropped passes, turnovers, and dumb penalties before. This year there is far less room for error when that happens. We can blame wind, weather, whatever, but nothing stopped this offense before. Even the first scripted plays the offense dominates. After that they come to almost a screeching halt. It happened with Dallas and with Denver. I don't believe Mahomes or Kelce or Hill has regressed. We can say lack of a solid #2 WR, but every season we had Sammy he was injured as much if not more than he was healthy and still scored almost at will. I got that defenses adjusted, but that doesn't impact this offense at the beginning of the game, only after the scripted plays. After that, moving the ball and scoring seems to get harder.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 06:41 PM 12-06-2021
Maybe they should script 30 plays from now on?
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:43 PM 12-06-2021
I doubt anyone here uses Skip as their primary source of information.
I hear diqlix is back, so that would make one.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:43 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
I believe that it is the playcalling more than anything else.
Yep. They keep calling those fucking plays where the receivers drop it.

You dumbass.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:43 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Maybe they should script 30 plays from now on?
:-) It would seem. The difference in how this offense operates at the beginning of the game and the rest is astounding.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up