ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's all wildly speculate about playcalling.
Direckshun 08:58 AM 12-06-2021
So it has seemed that the playcalling is off this year, no question. It has led a lot of people to speculate that Andy Reid is not making all of the calls.

I personally was not in those ranks; I didn't think there was any chance the Chiefs, who just signed a franchise QB to a half a billion dollar contract, would change up playcalling during a Super Bowl window.

But I do think the Mahomes/Bienemy spat on the sideline gave the game away (because why yell at Bienemy if you hate the playcalls?). And just so you don't think I started a thread based on only my intuition, my suspicions were echoed by extremely sharp Chiefs analysts Tod Palmer and Nick Jacobs on their "4th & 1" podcast. They don't think Reid is calling all the plays.

There is some circumstantial evidence to that. The Chiefs have been run-happier-than-usual on 2nd & longs for much of the season.

We've also seen Mahomes demand plays coming in repeatedly this year, which I've suspected was a kind of angst or anxiety but I think what's happening there is Bienemy's playcalling rhythms may be slower than Reid's, with whom Pat's synced up with for years.

I think I read Mahomes' lips during the sideline spat, saying "call the fucking play" and "call it." Which could very well be a dispute over the playcalling itself, or really just the rhythm.

Either way, that may account for some wonkiness in Mahomes' play this year.
[Reply]
2bikemike 11:38 AM 12-06-2021
It appears to me and I readily admit I may be totally offbase, but I used to think Tyreek ran around the backfield about a mile before the ball was snapped. Of course that is an exaggeration but he did seem to motion a lot more than he is now.

I am not saying that is any reflection of current verse past performance just a subtle change that I "feel" is different.

I also think it feels like Andy put a clamp on some of those cutesy plays that they were running earlier.
[Reply]
2bikemike 11:44 AM 12-06-2021
Found these stats on Dropped passes just for
https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmle...e=NFL&rank=232

1 Los Angeles Chargers 24
2 Carolina Panthers 22
3 Miami Dolphins 18
4 Pittsburgh Steelers 18
5 Kansas City Chiefs 17
6 Los Angeles Rams 17
7 Tennessee Titans 16
8 New York Giants 15
9 New York Jets 15
10 Indianapolis Colts 14
11 Las Vegas Raiders 14
12 Jacksonville Jaguars 14
13 Cleveland Browns 13
14 Minnesota Vikings 13
15 New Orleans Saints 13
16 Tampa Buccaneers 13
17 Atlanta Falcons 12
18 Buffalo Bills 12
19 Dallas Cowboys 12
20 Philadelphia Eagles 12
21 Houston Texans 10
22 Detroit Lions 10
23 San Francisc 49ers 10
24 Washington Football 10
25 Cincinnati Bengals 9
26 Arizona Cardinals 9
27 Baltimore Ravens 9
28 Chicago Bears 8
29 Denver Broncos 8
30 Green Bay Packers 7
31 New England Pat 5
32 Seattle Seahawks 5
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:47 AM 12-06-2021
You should be more concerned with play execution
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:48 AM 12-06-2021
Yeah, I saw that and felt like NBC was been awfully lose with their stat (which, to be fair, is a tough stat to track).

I mean 5 drops each for Kelce and Hill? Really? I think they've had that many each in the last 4 weeks.

It's getting worse somehow.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:54 AM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
Found these stats on Dropped passes just for
https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmle...e=NFL&rank=232

1 Los Angeles Chargers 24
2 Carolina Panthers 22
3 Miami Dolphins 18
4 Pittsburgh Steelers 18
5 Kansas City Chiefs 17
6 Los Angeles Rams 17
7 Tennessee Titans 16
8 New York Giants 15
9 New York Jets 15
10 Indianapolis Colts 14
11 Las Vegas Raiders 14
12 Jacksonville Jaguars 14
13 Cleveland Browns 13
14 Minnesota Vikings 13
15 New Orleans Saints 13
16 Tampa Buccaneers 13
17 Atlanta Falcons 12
18 Buffalo Bills 12
19 Dallas Cowboys 12
20 Philadelphia Eagles 12
21 Houston Texans 10
22 Detroit Lions 10
23 San Francisc 49ers 10
24 Washington Football 10
25 Cincinnati Bengals 9
26 Arizona Cardinals 9
27 Baltimore Ravens 9
28 Chicago Bears 8
29 Denver Broncos 8
30 Green Bay Packers 7
31 New England Pat 5
32 Seattle Seahawks 5
Another stat - and someone else had a graphic of this - of how impactful the drops have been. 3rd down and drops tipped up for interceptions are even worse for the Chiefs.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 11:55 AM 12-06-2021
I read somewhere (probably here) that Mahomes was calling plays during hte Raiders game

is there a good reason to not let mahomes call plays?
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:02 PM 12-06-2021
Listening to First Take today (I know I know) Ryan Clark stated an interesting stat. In the last 5 games Mahomes leads the league in off target throws with 37.
[Reply]
2bikemike 12:03 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Another stat - and someone else had a graphic of this - of how impactful the drops have been. 3rd down and drops tipped up for interceptions are even worse for the Chiefs.
I agree timing of those stats is a crucial determining factor of drives.
[Reply]
arrwheader 12:05 PM 12-06-2021
Seemed to me that Reid and company had a plan going into this one to be conservative as hell because they didn't respect the donkos offense and our defense has been playing really well. They knew the donkos have a good defense so don't lose the game being too aggressive and turning the ball over. So the plan was to turtle it and just settle for FGs, run clock, and let the defense force mistakes. They stuck true to that the whole time. The rest was drops otherwise we score 30 points not counting the defensive score.

"ugly" win but I think they strategized for it which makes me feel better. Shows they are intune with how they are playing and watching film, hell they had the bye to study the donks and it showed.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 12:06 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Listening to First Take today (I know I know) Ryan Clark stated an interesting stat. In the last 5 games Mahomes leads the league in off target throws with 37.
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Right now, the OL (interior mostly) is the only position group that is firing on all cylinders offensively.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:08 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Right now, the OL (interior mostly) is the only position group that is firing on all cylinders offensively.
We also lead the league by a large margin in first series points\td's. Doesn't seem we adjust like we should be doing either.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:19 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
We also lead the league by a large margin in first series points\td's. Doesn't seem we adjust like we should be doing either.
Hang onto the fucking ball and things look a lot different...

In games we haven't dropped a ton of balls or turned it over a ton we have looked okay....

Philly
WFT
Raiders

Looked okay during Chargers save 4 turnovers
Looked okay during Baltimore save 2 turnovers
Looked okay against Bill except turnovers

Drops also hurt the final outcome in games we have won like NYG, Green Bay and Denver.
[Reply]
TEX 03:42 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Hang onto the ****ing ball and things look a lot different...

In games we haven't dropped a ton of balls or turned it over a ton we have looked okay....

Philly
WFT
Raiders

Looked okay during Chargers save 4 turnovers
Looked okay during Baltimore save 2 turnovers
Looked okay against Bill except turnovers

Drops also hurt the final outcome in games we have won like NYG, Green Bay and Denver.
This is so spot on.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 03:49 PM 12-06-2021
Skip Bayless says he's never seen a young QB fall as far as Mahomes has fallen. And he says Mahomes has the WORST throwing motion / mechanics / footwork in the NFL. (Yeah Skip, Pat is no Dak. :-))

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 03:58 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
Skip Bayless says he's never seen a young QB fall so far as Mahomes has fallen. And he says Mahomes has the WORST throwing motion / mechanics / footwork in the NFL. (Yeah Skip, Pat is no Dak.)

The worst? That's ridiculous.

Has he gotten himself into some bad habits and gotten away from fundamentals?

Absolutely.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 13
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up