ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 26
« First < 162223242526
Nzoner's Game Room>Dropped passes
frozenchief 10:05 PM 12-05-2021
Why can’t we catch the ball? Kielce, Pringle, and Tyreek all dropped catchable passes. those drops really screwed our offensive production. Tyreek’s ‘drop’ led to an interception.

What is going on? Are Kielce and Tyreek injured? What do we do for this season? Drafting or free agency are good answers for next season, not this one. the dropped passes aren’t such an issue with Denver but come playoffs, they will be really large.

I have no idea what is going on or why this is happening now and would love to hear any comments/suggestions.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:27 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Years ago I was privy to see practice up close at KSU. 1997 season. In that practice, Darren Howard hit a RB so hard that I heard the air forced from his lungs.

Darren Howard was a pro player in a college uniform. Whoever he hit, took a couple of minutes to get up and get to the sideline. He was a scout team player. Probably a walk-on.

Decades ago, there was a short story in SI about QB injuries. In it, Harvey Martin or Ed Too Tall Jones talked about the ‘satisfaction’ of knowing they were going to blind side a QB. One of them mentioned the feeling of hitting Jim Hart (STL Cardinals QB) and hearing the air come out of his lungs as they drove him into the ground.

I knew it was probably true. But until I heard it up close that day… holy shit. These players are the 1%.
It's the "NFL Films Noise". Y'know, when you have John Facenda narrating and dramatic music and the piles collide and you hear that "blearghablrh" noise that the computer players used to make in the original Madden Football whenever they got it.

I didn't think it was possible for a human being to make that noise until we were dicking around in practice one day and the secondary played DL while the DL played secondary.

Ball got snapped and 140 lbs of me playing DE tried to go through the B-Gap only to get sandwiched by the G/T. And yeah, I made the NFL films noise. It was completely involuntary - just air being blasted out of you.

It's a lunatic sport, man. Your body does things that it just ain't supposed to do.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:25 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Just read a quote from Mahomes in The Athletic where he says the Hill INT is on him - too high and too hard - that if he places it on him properly, Tyreek probably scores.
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
He said the same thing in the presser on Tuesday.
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
It absolutely was a bad pass. Just because it hits a receivers hand, doesn't mean it's totally on them.
Mahomes taking the blame is never going to change. Everything is his fault. Great play happens, it was the receiver. It’s who he is. His leadership style. He’s never going to call out players. Get in their face in the locker room etc. just not who he is.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:41 PM 12-09-2021
On a side note, IMO Patrick is going to drop 15-20lbs because of said toe
[Reply]
Molitoth 12:48 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
It absolutely was a bad pass. Just because it hits a receivers hand, doesn't mean it's totally on them.
I was taught that "if you can touch it, you can catch it" and for the most part I took accountability on that statement.

Receivers/fans wanting every pass right in the numbers are living in a fantasy world, but I feel this demand is right in line with today's spoiled humanity.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:53 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And the penalties have seemed to come at disproportionately damaging times as well. Either taking them out of prime TD opportunities or knocking them out of FG range.

The Chiefs have seemingly cruised to the 50 yard line this year. Then once they're on the other side of the field, they stumble. I think that helps explain why they are maintaining a nearly historic rate of turning drives into 1st downs (they still just do not do 3 and outs) but aren't scoring at an equally strong rate.

They're a basketball team that's struggling in the half-court sets. They want to go all fun and gun but when they get into these shorter field situations, their lack of precision bites them.
Nice catch by O there. The turnovers and penalties absolutely do seem to come on the opponent's side of the field.

I hate to say it but isn't that evidence that, at least for now, the defensive game plans are working by extending drives and creating more opportunities for something bad to happen?

PS: And yeah, I know the Chiefs could beat these defenses if they just execute better but it's just raw statistics - more plays is going to increase the chances of a negative one. Even the best teams aren't perfect.
[Reply]
O.city 01:18 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Nice catch by O there. The turnovers and penalties absolutely do seem to come on the opponent's side of the field.

I hate to say it but isn't that evidence that, at least for now, the defensive game plans are working by extending drives and creating more opportunities for something bad to happen?

PS: And yeah, I know the Chiefs could beat these defenses if they just execute better but it's just raw statistics - more plays is going to increase the chances of a negative one. Even the best teams aren't perfect.
Absolutely.

The Chiefs, during Mahomes time here, have never been super disciplined where they just machine like down the field. They always needed big plays to make up for it. But they usually got them.

Now they don't.

Mahomes isn't built to be a pure pocket precision guy over and over mentally. He doesn't seem to want to play that way.
[Reply]
DRM08 01:51 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Since his rookie year Mahomes has had the the standard leadership rules down pat. A great play is 'we' and a bad play is 'me'.

Mahomes taking a bullet doesn't mean much - he's secure enough in his standing that he knows the rules. He's not going to go out there and say "I can't throw it and catch it..."

The throw was fine.
That goes back to his college days. Never saw him throw teammates or coaches under the bus, even though we clearly had a lot of problems at Tech with our roster (especially on defense) and coaching. He always stayed very positive in his words about the people around him.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:43 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Love our QB.
That's awesome. If a pete or whomever says some garbage about Mahomes within greater KC proper, I'm not sure they make it out unscathed. They certainly shouldn't.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 04:26 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
I was taught that "if you can touch it, you can catch it" and for the most part I took accountability on that statement.

Receivers/fans wanting every pass right in the numbers are living in a fantasy world, but I feel this demand is right in line with today's spoiled humanity.
The statistics are clear as day in terms of how much blame should go to Kelce and Tyreek for the offense's struggles.

Kelce leads the NFL with 10 dropped passes.

Tyreek is up there with 7 dropped passes.

Many of those drops were tipped balls resulting in INT's.
[Reply]
Oxford 04:51 PM 12-09-2021
A little friendly competition game between the receivers.... if you drop one it's Bienimey barking "drop, pushups until I get tired"
[Reply]
DRM08 05:43 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
The statistics are clear as day in terms of how much blame should go to Kelce and Tyreek for the offense's struggles.

Kelce leads the NFL with 10 dropped passes.

Tyreek is up there with 7 dropped passes.

Many of those drops were tipped balls resulting in INT's.
Some fumbles in opponent territory by those guys as well. If they can find a way to cut out 70% of this stuff, it would go a long way to making a strong run in the playoffs.
[Reply]
Sorce 06:09 PM 12-10-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
Huge problem. 8 of Mahomes' INT's have been tipped.
He appears to be staying in the pocket more, wonder if there is a correlation.
[Reply]
carcosa 01:02 PM 12-12-2021
Narrator: It was the dropped passes.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 04:58 PM 12-12-2021
I don't think they had any drops today. Makes quite a difference!
[Reply]
Page 26 of 26
« First < 162223242526
Up