ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What kind of "gamer" are you?
0 - I don't play 22 27.16%
1 - Beginner (primarily cash back cards) 19 23.46%
2 - Intermediate (cards with travel perks and freebies) 24 29.63%
3 - Advanced (focused on "outsided value" in redemptions) 11 13.58%
4 - Expert (juggling multiple points currencies, booking trips on partner airlines, etc.) 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Credit Card Rewards Game
DaFace 10:15 AM 05-20-2022
It came up a bit in the thread about spare change, but it seems like there are af few of us at least enjoy playing "the game." So here's a place to talk about earning strategies, brag about your favorite redemptions, get advice, etc.
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:19 AM 05-20-2022
GM mastercard
[Reply]
DaFace 10:23 AM 05-20-2022
I've mentioned it in other threads, but I think of myself as being "advanced" but not an "expert." My current setup includes:

[Reply]
DaFace 10:25 AM 05-20-2022
My favorite redemption so far has been the Presidential Suite in Albuquerque, New Mexico (which usually goes for ~$750 per night). We paid 10k miles per night, which is about $100. It was completely over the top and unnecessary, but it was a lot of fun. This isn't my video, but it'll give you the gist:

[Reply]
KCUnited 10:25 AM 05-20-2022
Chase Southwest + companion pass

Since its just the wife and I, it gets us pretty much wherever we want to go within the US for free.

Drawbacks are that travel is limited compared to other airlines and I'm cooling a bit on Southwest's model after spending time inside United's club.
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:25 AM 05-20-2022
Chase Freedom Unlimited. 1.5% cash back on everything. We don't travel a ton, so no real interest in those perks. We charge damn near everything and pay it off each month. We generally earn $1,000+ each year.
[Reply]
Boiled Chicken 10:25 AM 05-20-2022
Haven’t paid for a hotel in over 10 years. The trick is when you travel for business - a) associate your membership with your corporate card (I’ve only worked for one company that considered this a gift above $50 and made me surrender the points I earned), and b) always sign up for the promotions, such as earn triple points when you book a stay between certain dates. Book your business travel between those dates, and free triple points for going to a team builder.
[Reply]
notorious 10:27 AM 05-20-2022
If you rotate vehicles and like GM get a MyPowerBusiness card.

I've built up around 15k of discounts off of vehicles over the last 4 years. A lot of promotions for cards are off MSRP, but this one is off of final negotiated price.

5% off of dealership trips, 3% off of fuel, 1% off of everything.

The GM finance woman shit her pants when they checked my points 2 years ago. I had already badgered them 7k off of sticker, then drop a 7k more off bomb on them from this card. Ended up paying 62 for a 76 MSRP truck.

Unreal. They pay me 4k a year to use their credit card. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 10:28 AM 05-20-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Chase Southwest + companion pass

Since its just the wife and I, it gets us pretty much wherever we want to go within the US for free.

Drawbacks are that travel is limited compared to other airlines and I'm cooling a bit on Southwest's model after spending time inside United's club.
Just in general I've cooled on Southwest in the past couple of years. It never feels like their prices are anything special (especially since they're theoretically a low-cost airline). And I don't mind the seating model, but it always seems a bit chaotic. I'd rather just pick a seat in advance.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:32 AM 05-20-2022
Originally Posted by Boiled Chicken:
Haven’t paid for a hotel in over 10 years. The trick is when you travel for business - a) associate your membership with your corporate card (I’ve only worked for one company that considered this a gift above $50 and made me surrender the points I earned), and b) always sign up for the promotions, such as earn triple points when you book a stay between certain dates. Book your business travel between those dates, and free triple points for going to a team builder.
Though I don't think I'd actually enjoy a job that requires a ton of travel, I'm always kind of envious of how quickly you can rack up the points when you do!
[Reply]
Jenson71 10:33 AM 05-20-2022
I have a basic, no fee American Express tied to Hilton Honors that seems to generate a couple free rooms a year.

I'll occasionally get emails about the $95.00/yr AMEX, but I've never looked seriously into it, mostly because of a gut reaction against the annual fee. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it would end up yielding greater benefits and be worth it in the end. I'd love to hear if anyone knows.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:34 AM 05-20-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Just in general I've cooled on Southwest in the past couple of years. It never feels like their prices are anything special (especially since they're theoretically a low-cost airline). And I don't mind the seating model, but it always seems a bit chaotic. I'd rather just pick a seat in advance.
Yeah outside of A group, I've grown to hate the seating model. Plus with the increase in unruly passenger behavior, it seems to have gotten more chaotic in my experience. That's an industry thing but SWs model seems to amplify it.

Companion pass, free bags and living near a major connecting airport keeps me for the time being.
[Reply]
notorious 10:34 AM 05-20-2022
Capitol One is officially gone at the end of the month. Goldman Sachs purchased everything, and it's been a fucking trainwreck for the last 3 months.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:37 AM 05-20-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, I've actually used Spirit and others a few times now because the Phoenix to KC flights that used to occasionally be $100 one way on Southwest are now rarely even the $150 they got bumped to a few years ago. I've also found a couple of cheaper options on United and others that never would have been considered ~5 years ago.

I'll always prefer the lineup method over crowd the gate method though.
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:41 AM 05-20-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
Capitol One is officially gone at the end of the month. Goldman Sachs purchased everything, and it's been a ****ing trainwreck for the last 3 months.
True fucking statement. I loved capital one, transitioning to Marcus has been a CF. In fact have my new marcus card and haven't activated it yet. Afraid what kind of CF that will be and want a working card for a fishing trip next week. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Up