ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1610 of 3903
« First < 610111015101560160016061607160816091610 161116121613161416201660171021102610 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 04:07 PM 04-23-2020

[Reply]
TLO 04:16 PM 04-23-2020
I had a very respected nurse at my work talking to me today about her family member using Chinese herbs after being diagnosed with the coronavirus.

I don't really know what the point of this post is. I just needed to post it.
[Reply]
Donger 04:18 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I had a very respected nurse at my work talking to me today about her family member using Chinese herbs after being diagnosed with the coronavirus.

[Reply]
TLO 04:20 PM 04-23-2020
Where'd BRC go? I haven't heard any ventilator talk in days.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 04:25 PM 04-23-2020
Science guy from DHS just gave some interesting data on the virus and the effects of heat/humidity/sunlight have on it. According to him it doesn't like any of those.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:26 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Cases lag infections, and deaths lag cases. If your death rate has peaked, you can generally surmise that you've hit your "best case" level of social distancing and can consider relaxing restrictions to see how things shift. If deaths are still climbing, you don't know if you're doing enough.

(Not that you should immediately relax restrictions at that point, but you can start thinking about it.)
I'm guessing there isn't a ton of data on places that have eased restrictions, since the data we see is ~1-2 weeks behind the initial spread.... but, the big unknown being the length of time it would take to see significant spike after easing restrictions.

For example, Phoenix... if they ease restrictions next week, would it even be possible to have another spike, assuming it's not a super virus that can survive that kind of heat?

The model of 'ease restrictions a week after the last death' seems pretty extreme.... obviously, the thought shouldn't be "well, a few more people might die, but at least we can go to the movies now', but still.
[Reply]
TLO 04:30 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
Science guy from DHS just gave some interesting data on the virus and the effects of heat/humidity/sunlight have on it. According to him it doesn't like any of those.
As is the case with most respiratory viruses.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:38 PM 04-23-2020
I wish KC would shutdown til June 1. Weve made so much progress we could have alot of testing by then
[Reply]
O.city 04:48 PM 04-23-2020
As is the case with most respiratory viruses.
Yep

I’m hopeful
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:57 PM 04-23-2020
Millions of Americans are drinking on the job as they work from home during the COVID-19 outbreak, according to multiple worker surveys.

Beer is their drink of choice over cocktails, according to Alcohol.org, but that’s probably little consolation to corporate bigwigs.

One survey, released Monday, found 42% of nearly 13,000 workers were drinking on the clock at home, according to Fishbowl, a social network “for verified employees.”

“Advertising and marketing agency employees had the highest percentage of employees answering with ‘Yes’, with 49.14%,” Fishbowl reported.

More than half of those surveyed said they feared layoffs due to the pandemic and 60% said COVID-19 “had caused clients to pause or cancel work,” the survey said.

None of the surveys reported asking how much people were drinking, but Americans began stockpiling alcohol as cities, counties and states started announcing stay-at-home orders and restricting travel for the virus.

A 55% spike in alcoholic sales was reported in the third week of March, when panicked shoppers began hoarding alcoholic and other necessities, MarketWatch.com reports.

“Spirits like tequila, gin and pre-mixed cocktails led the way, with sales jumping 75% compared to the same period last year. Wine sales were up 66% while beer sales rose 42%. And online sales far outpaced in-store sales,” MarketWatch said.

The Alcohol.org study of 3,000 workers broke the drinking down by state. (You can see the breakdown by clicking on the link, as well as find resources for seeking help.) The figure for Minnesota was 31%, and 32% for Wisconsin. The range was 8% for Arkansas to 67% for Hawaii.

“One-fifth of respondents stockpiled alcohol for self-isolation,” the survey added.

The larger Fishbowl survey showed workers in North Carolina, Oregon and Connecticut were the biggest drinkers, each with 47% partaking on the job.

Economist Nicholas Bloom of the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research believes the “work-from-home movement ... could actually generate a worldwide productivity slump and threaten economic growth for many years,” according to a March 30 report.

“We are home working alongside our kids, in unsuitable spaces, with no choice and no in-office days. This will create a productivity disaster for firms,” he said in the report.

“I fear this collapse in office face time will lead to a slump in innovation. The new ideas we are losing today could show up as fewer new products in 2021 and beyond, lowering long-run growth.”
[Reply]
lewdog 05:41 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
June 26th for Arizona. :-)
Yesterday is was pushed back until May 22.

A day later it's another month?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:47 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Yeah, someone chime in with legit info. I need to know if I'm stuck in Missouri for another two months.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:48 PM 04-23-2020

My wife and mom are both nurses. It is astonishing to me how many nurses espouse absolute quackery and pseudoscience. I've had to block some from social media due to antivax beliefs and essential oil promotion.

Also, as a PSA: be extremely wary of any herbal supplementation, especially with COVID given the clotting issues that are present. Ginkgo, garlic, ginseng, and ginger can all inhibit platelet aggregation (in theory you might want this, but if you're given therapeutic doses of low molecular weight heparin, it's a potential interaction).
[Reply]
Bwana 06:01 PM 04-23-2020

Ouija Board?

[Reply]
Bearcat 06:07 PM 04-23-2020

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Yeah, someone chime in with legit info. I need to know if I'm stuck in Missouri for another two months.
Sorry for my lack of info, that was just from the site Daface had posted, showing "when it's save to ease social distancing".

I haven't seen anything on officially easing restrictions, besides elective surgeries coming back on May 1st.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...es/3007723001/
[Reply]
Page 1610 of 3903
« First < 610111015101560160016061607160816091610 161116121613161416201660171021102610 > Last »
Up