ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Is it time for Mike Tomlin to step aside?
scho63 11:26 AM 01-20-2022
No doubt Mike Tomlin has been a great coach and got a lot from his teams over the years.

Now with Big Ben gone, a major rebuilding needed should he ride off into the sunset or look to go to a team that may be missing just a piece or two?

I think he could be a better fit now on other teams.

The Cowboys, Broncos and Raiders come to mind.

Am I being foolish?

Pittsburgh has so many holes it could be 3-4 years of subpar football.

What do you say?
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 10:11 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
True, but there was a lot of talent on those NE defenses back then. Belechick wasn’t coaching a bunch of scrubs. This is not to say that Tomlin is a better DC than Bill because he’s not.
His crowning work was stopping the K-Gun in the Super Bowl and holding Elway's Broncos scoreless in the AFC championship game for a half while with the Jets as a DC.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:14 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
His crowning work was stopping the K-Gun in the Super Bowl and holding Elway's Broncos scoreless in the AFC championship game for a half while with the Jets as a DC.
Personally I think his best ever was in SB 53. He outright put clown shoes on the high flying Rams offense and McVay.
[Reply]
scho63 10:36 AM 12-12-2022
Lot of teams with shitty coaches but most have horrible situations; Denver, Colts, Texans.

The best place for Tomlin would be the Chargers.

Staley has vastly underperformed.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:12 AM 01-02-2023
This guy is one hell of a coach. It’s crazy that he has this team in a position to be in the playoffs again. No TJ Watt for most of the season, rookie QB, bad OL, lost Juju and sold off Claypool.

The man did this with Trubisky and Pickett at QB all year.

He’s a damn good coach
[Reply]
scho63 09:26 AM 01-02-2023
Not gonna disagree.

He turned this ship around and shocked me.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:49 AM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This guy is one hell of a coach. It’s crazy that he has this team in a position to be in the playoffs again. No TJ Watt for most of the season, rookie QB, bad OL, lost Juju and sold off Claypool.

He’s a damn good coach
Agreed
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:59 AM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:

He’s a damn good coach
All you can do is beat the teams on your schedule, but look at who the Steelers beat in this stretch:

Colts: 24-17
Falcons: 19-16
Panthers: 24-16
Raiders: 13-10
Ravens (sans Jackson): 16-13

This is what a rah rah coach can get you - your team will go out there and play hard, ugly things up and beat bad football teams.

But he still has significant tactical deficiencies. I think he's a solid coach who needs better coordinators but by no means a great one.

He had a decade with a roster full of HoF talents and a HoF quarterback in his prime and got next to nothing out of them despite the division being soft pretty much the entire time.

He's a high floor coach with an extremely low ceiling. In many ways, he's what Staley is likely to develop into. But if I'm looking for a HC to win me a SB rather than just sneak me into the playoffs, I think Staley's more likely to develop into that sort of guy than Tomlinson over the coming decade.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:25 AM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
All you can do is beat the teams on your schedule, but look at who the Steelers beat in this stretch:

This is what a rah rah coach can get you - your team will go out there and play hard, ugly things up and beat bad football teams.

But he still has significant tactical deficiencies. I think he's a solid coach who needs better coordinators but by no means a great one.

He had a decade with a roster full of HoF talents and a HoF quarterback in his prime and got next to nothing out of them despite the division being soft pretty much the entire time.

He's a high floor coach with an extremely low ceiling. In many ways, he's what Staley is likely to develop into. But if I'm looking for a HC to win me a SB rather than just sneak me into the playoffs, I think Staley's more likely to develop into that sort of guy than Tomlinson over the coming decade.

They had to deal with the Patriots though. They could never get over that Pats/Brady hump and it's tough to hold that against them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:39 AM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
They had to deal with the Patriots though. They could never get over that Pats/Brady hump and it's tough to hold that against them.
But did the Patriots have more talent than the Steelers most of those years? I would say they didn't.

BB just outcoached him.

Which doesn't make Tomlin a bad coach - Belichick outcoached a lot of guys. But it's part of his resume nonetheless.

I think he's a fine coach, just not a great one.
[Reply]
tredadda 11:11 AM 01-02-2023
But did the Patriots have more talent than the Steelers most of those years? I would say they didn't.

BB just outcoached him.

Which doesn't make Tomlin a bad coach - Belichick outcoached a lot of guys. But it's part of his resume nonetheless.

I think he's a fine coach, just not a great one.
Honestly the only one I think that he doesn’t consistently out coach is Reid.
[Reply]
scho63 11:17 AM 01-02-2023
If Tomlin went to the Chargers their D would be scary as fuck.

Not sure what QB coach or offensive coordinator they would bring in.

With Pittsburgh overperforming this year, his chances of leaving are about 5%.

If they went say 6-11 or 7-10, which I expected it would have been much higher.

Great responses in this thread. :-)
[Reply]
scho63 11:19 AM 01-02-2023
Also, if the Cowboys get bounced in their first game, I think Sean Payton, Tomlin or another big name could be hired and they fire McCarthy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:20 AM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Honestly the only one I think that he doesn’t consistently out coach is Reid.
And Reid/BB are the only 2 historically great coaches to come out of the last 25 years of NFL football, IMO.

The rest of these guys are just picking up scraps. BB and Andy are the defensive/offensive masterminds of this era, IMO.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:32 AM 01-02-2023
And Reid/BB are the only 2 historically great coaches to come out of the last 25 years of NFL football, IMO.

The rest of these guys are just picking up scraps. BB and Andy are the defensive/offensive masterminds of this era, IMO.
I agree. After that tier though? He’s probably there. I think he’s done such a great job with limited resources and also what he has had to deal with (AB, Bell, Big Ben).

Remember this guy took this team to 8 wins when Big Ben was out all year. He did that with a CFL QB.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:07 PM 01-02-2023

Agree, mostly.

The Ravens were pretty good during most of that stretch, but yeah, the Browns and Bengals were gimmes most of the time. But that's not necessarily unlike most of the divisions. Maybe they were a little worse, but most of the divisions aren't gauntlets.

And Brotherfucking Cheatriot Fuckbags winning fucking everything while Tomlin was in probably tempered his legacy a bit. And I assure you Belicheat was getting the signals for their defense, who especially early, was really fucking good and Belicheat had no trouble scheming around, magically. If they got caught filming a 2 win Bengals team, he assuredly cheated to get the Steelers calls.

I think Tomlins capacity to coach headcases is a bit understated, probably.

But it is what it is. High floor low ceiling. But in 2023, it's important to not do something completely ass-tarded like the Staley's of the world.

I'd say so.

As of 1/2/2023, you can make a substantial case for Pete Carroll. But yeah, fuck that shit, he's blown a MOUNTAIN of talent over the years. But holy fucking balls EmbaRuss is real bad and making him look real good.

I think Shanarat Jr has a case. I think it will shake out to him offsetting his obvious genius with dumbfuckery like hitching his fucking wagon to Trey Lance after hitching his wagon to Garoppolo. But it's hard for me to discount what he's accomplished with the talent he had to do it with.

And I think history will look fondly on Harbitch. He won a Bowl with Flacco and then completely changed his entire team up for Jackson. They probably won't win anything with Jackson and if they let him walk that won't look good, but he's a good coach who did some really hard things.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up