ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3722 of 3903
« First < 2722322236223672371237183719372037213722 3723372437253726373237723822 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:25 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Eh, that's going too far from my perspective. From a different vantage point, people say the same thing about people being "afraid" of COVID in the first place.
Be afraid of covid/don't be afraid of covid, it doesn't really matter. It's going to kill/hospitalize a bunch of people and alter lives pretty significantly. The vaccines, OTOH, are safe. Period.

What additional level of fear must one harbor to be afraid of something that safe?

What else could it be (other than cowardice), given the data? Willful ignorance? What causes that, if not extreme fear?
[Reply]
DaFace 12:28 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Be afraid of covid/don't be afraid of covid, it doesn't really matter. It's going to kill/hospitalize a bunch of people and alter lives pretty significantly. The vaccines, OTOH, are safe. Period.

What additional level of fear must one harbor to be afraid of something that safe?

What else could it be (other than cowardice), given the data? Willful ignorance? What causes that, if not extreme fear?
Probably some combination of 1) willful ignorance, 2) stubbornness, 3) selfishness, and 4) a general distrust of authority (where "the data" comes from).
[Reply]
jdubya 12:28 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Well yeah, but the mask mandates are an attempt to protect the unvaccinated, which is incredibly frustrating because they don't seem to care enough to protect themselves by and large.

Meanwhile, I'm dissolving my small production company next month and selling off all the equipment for pennies on the dollar because the plague has now cost me two years of work.

Just get the damned shots, people.
Was it the plague and unvaxxed people that cost you your company or the intentional shut down of the economy implemented by agencies?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:37 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Was it the plague and unvaxxed people that cost you your company or the intentional shut down of the economy implemented by agencies?
That's not really a serious question is it?

In year one, it was the plague, and there were no responsible ways in which to gather en mass, so no events, no gigs, no money.

In year two, it is the plague, and due to the hospitals being overfull despite the vaccine being readily available for almost 6 months to the general public, there is not really a responsible way to gather in large groups. So only a couple of outdoor events with restrictions, few gigs, little money.

I'm really not interested in making money if the result is that people die. I guess that makes me a bad capitalist.

At this point, it's going to be another year probably of few events, little money, so my partner and I are going to cut our losses. Storing the equipment has cost us much more than we've made on it the last two years, and will continue at least another.

It is what it is.

You can blame shutdowns, masks, and restrictions, although that is all an effort to keep people from dying. You can argue about how much you personally feel any of that helps. None of that matters.

What matters is, large numbers of people are dying, and that hasn't be necessary for several months now.

Utter madness.
[Reply]
O.city 12:46 PM 09-09-2021
https://twitter.com/jamesward73/stat...389184516?s=21
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:52 PM 09-09-2021

In year one, it was the plague, and there were no responsible ways in which to gather en mass, so no events, no gigs, no money.

In year two, it is the plague, and due to the hospitals being overfull despite the vaccine being readily available for almost 6 months to the general public, there is not really a responsible way to gather in large groups. So only a couple of outdoor events with restrictions, few gigs, little money.

I'm really not interested in making money if the result is that people die. I guess that makes me a bad capitalist.

At this point, it's going to be another year probably of few events, little money, so my partner and I are going to cut our losses. Storing the equipment has cost us much more than we've made on it the last two years, and will continue at least another.

It is what it is.

You can blame shutdowns, masks, and restrictions, although that is all an effort to keep people from dying. You can argue about how much you personally feel any of that helps. None of that matters.

What matters is, large numbers of people are dying, and that hasn't be necessary for several months now.

Utter madness.
This breaks my heart to hear Chris. I'd like to think 30 years from now when my grandkids are reading about this event in their social studies books, there will be a special section detailing people who made big sacrifices like yourself to keep others safe. It's not the early 20th century by any stretch in terms of what our country asked of its citizens, but I have never seen so many selfless people in my lifetime.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:10 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
This breaks my heart to hear Chris. I'd like to think 30 years from now when my grandkids are reading about this event in their social studies books, there will be a special section detailing people who made big sacrifices like yourself to keep others safe. It's not the early 20th century by any stretch in terms of what our country asked of its citizens, but I have never seen so many selfless people in my lifetime.
I think I'm just being a decent person. That ought to be bare minimum.

The real sacrifices are being made by the medical personnel.

The real thing that gets me is how so many people just will NOT do anything at all to help others.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 01:18 PM 09-09-2021

What about the data showing people who have already have had covid being protected and don't need the vaccine?
[Reply]
jdubya 01:20 PM 09-09-2021

It is what it is.

Utter madness.
I believe one can argue that the weak and infirm were/are the most susceptible to this virus and what is arguable is how much the masking/restrictions/shutdowns really played a part in the numbers we have. Im not being a dick as I am immunocompromised and have taken the vaccines and am not arguing about that.....I am stating policies mandated by governors, health departments and employers are more culpable in businesses getting killed than those who didn't get vaccinated. Is that a bit clearer?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:25 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
What about the data showing people who have already have had covid being protected and don't need the vaccine?
What about the data? I have no idea what question you're attempting to ask here.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 01:28 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
What data is that?

Because the CDC has said that a person who's had COVID is twice as likely to be reinfected as someone who's been vaccinated.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 01:28 PM 09-09-2021
What about the data? I have no idea what question you're attempting to ask here.
You are going on another one of your rants about the unvaccinated. Well what about people who have covid. Plenty of data showing they don't need the vaccine.

So if someone has had covid and doesn't want to get vaccinated. Current data supports there position. You know follow the science and all.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 01:29 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
What data is that?

Because the CDC has said that a person who's had COVID is twice as likely to be reinfected as someone who's been vaccinated.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...nic-study.aspx

Here is one article on the subject.
[Reply]
TLO 09-09-2021, 01:29 PM
This message has been deleted by TLO.
jdubya 01:31 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I hope my grandchildren are shown the statistical analysis of what policies worked and didn't work. Not useless hyperemotional virtue signaling
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:32 PM 09-09-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
I believe one can argue that the weak and infirm were/are the most susceptible to this virus and what is arguable is how much the masking/restrictions/shutdowns really played a part in the numbers we have. Im not being a dick as I am immunocompromised and have taken the vaccines and am not arguing about that.....I am stating policies mandated by governors, health departments and employers are more culpable in businesses getting killed than those who didn't get vaccinated. Is that a bit clearer?
Well, I mean the hospitals are full.

The virus is spread through droplets into the respiratory system. If you reach a high enough viral load, you spread it whether you're sick or not. If you're vaccinated, you're unlikely to get sick enough to be hospitalized, and almost certainly won't die. That's good, but...

I don't see how just having big concerts full of vaccinated or unvaccinated people indoors with no masks or social distancing is a good idea. Even vaccinated people can get a high enough viral load to transmit it to someone else.

It seems to me that if every eligible adult got vaccinated then we'd be back to our lives in a relatively normal way. We're trying to NOT kill people who won't take care of themselves and their neighbors at this point. It's really frustrating. I've lost 90% of my income the last two years. To make it up, I've painted on a paint crew. I'm working in a restaurant that is keeping half hours at half capacity. Just trying to eat. Good thing my house is paid off.
[Reply]
Page 3722 of 3903
« First < 2722322236223672371237183719372037213722 3723372437253726373237723822 > Last »
Up