Page 4877 of 4877
« First < 3877437747774827486748734874487548764877
Nzoner's Game Room>Broncos news megathread
ROYC75 04:26 PM 08-12-2014
Discussion: All things Broncos.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:45 PM Today
Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe:
He out-recruited Mike Shanahan for Tony Romo and attempted to trade for Romo, who was still a backup at the time, after taking the Saints job.
"Sean Payton liked Tony Romo more than Drew Brees" isn't the win you think it is, fella...

So the one quarterback he was ever successful with wasn't the guy he actually wanted, eh? Yeah - seems like he really knows how to pick 'em.
[Reply]
Quesadilla Joe 01:51 PM Today
Originally Posted by staylor26:
You mean to tell me his college HC said this? Shocker! God you're pathetic.

Care to address your blatant hypocrisy with Veach/Mahomes and Payton/Romo, dipshit?
An OC working the phones for an undrafted free agent is a little different than the story you guys tell about Veach. :-)

I’m sure Veach liked Mahomes, but so did Ballard, Dorsey, and Reid. They would’ve traded up for him with or without Veach.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 01:52 PM Today

:-)
Well, this isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. So unless we're going back in time, I'm not too worried about a guy like Nix being an elite NFL QB.

Apparently neither are other teams, since no one else had a first round grade on him.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:59 PM Today
An OC working the phones for an undrafted free agent is a little different than the story you guys tell about Veach. :-)

I’m sure Veach liked Mahomes, but so did Ballard, Dorsey, and Reid. They would’ve traded up for him with or without Veach.
Andy confirmed on the Rich Eisen show that Veach loved Mahomes years before anybody in the building and put his tape on Andy’s desk when Mahomes was a Freshman at Texas Tech.

Veach also said Mahomes was the best player he’s ever seen at the combine after Mahomes had only started the meaningless week 17 game in Denver.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:05 PM Today

"working the phones..."

According to Romo he went to Dallas because they didn't have anyone who was an obvious long-term answer. It came down to Dallas and Denver because Shanahan and Payton played at Eastern Illinois so they already new him.

The Broncos had just signed Jake Plummer to a seven year deal. He went to Dallas because Shanahan signed Jake Plummer - the end.

So your old hero shit the bed in signing a lunatic and it cost him Tony Romo. Who, again, your new hero thought was better than Drew Brees.

Because, y'know, they both played at the same podunk college. Yeah - really beat the !@#$ing bushes for that one, didn't he?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:07 PM Today
"Lets see - I have two coaches trying to sign me because they're the only other relevant thing to come out of this worthless little school I play for. One of them has Quincy Carter under center, who's thrown 12 TDs to 15 INTs in 15 career starts with a passer rating below 70. The other just gave a 7 year deal to a new quarterback..."

Decisions, decisions...

Had Tony Romo played at UT-Martin, Sean Payton never knows his name. This is just so ridiculous.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:16 PM Today

You're right, two totally different scenarios.

Veach has been given the majority of the credit for Mahomes from the Chiefs along with Texas Tech and Mahomes' camp.

Veach came out and publicly called Mahomes the best player he's ever seen with just one meaningless regular season game on his resume.

Not to mention if anybody had any idea Romo would be that good, they don't go the entire draft without taking a flier on him.

So yea, not remotely comparable in terms of the amount of credit they should be given.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:21 PM Today

Veach has been given the majority of the credit for Mahomes from the Chiefs along with Texas Tech and Mahomes' camp.

Veach came out and publicly called Mahomes the best player he's ever seen with just one meaningless regular season game on his resume.

Not to mention if anybody had any idea Romo would be that good, they don't go the entire draft without taking a flier on him.

So yea, not remotely comparable in terms of the amount of credit they should be given.
If only Mahomes would've played for Delaware, maybe Veach would've been as attuned to him as Payton was to Romo...
[Reply]
ThrobProng 02:21 PM Today

I agree 100%, but didn't Veach tell Reid and Dorsey that Mahomes was the best player he'd ever seen back when was a scout, before anyone else in the organization was convinced that he was the real deal?
[Reply]
staylor26 02:27 PM Today
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
I agree 100%, but didn't Veach tell Reid and Dorsey that Mahomes was the best player he'd ever seen back when was a scout, before anyone else in the organization was convinced that he was the real deal?
From everything I've seen, I wouldn't doubt that he did.

He wasn't calling him the best player he's ever seen because of TC and a single meaningless week 17 game against the Broncos.

That's coming from his scouting of the player.
[Reply]
Quesadilla Joe 02:39 PM Today
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Well, this isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. So unless we're going back in time, I'm not too worried about a guy like Nix being an elite NFL QB.

Apparently neither are other teams, since no one else had a first round grade on him.
False:

Originally Posted by :
The Broncos had worked Nix out March 18 on campus in Eugene, Ore., so Lanning knew there was a good chance he could end up in Denver. But he wasn’t sure as the first round unfolded.

“I certainly felt good, but I also felt good about some other teams that wanted Bo,’’ said Lanning, who didn’t name any other teams. “I thought he would go day one. I just wasn’t sure where. But I thought the Broncos had a really great shot at making it happen.’’
https://denvergazette.com/sports/des...dd9282371.html

For all who think the Broncos could have traded down and still gotten Bo Nix … @chad_reuter of @NFLMedia says, “No,” that wouldn’t have worked.

Why? Because the Rams wanted Nix.

"The Rams were taking Nix at 19. Absolutely, if he was available,” Reuter told @CecilLammey & me. pic.twitter.com/SHxQxEdZSw

— Andrew Mason (@MaseDenver) May 2, 2024

[Reply]
ThrobProng 02:40 PM Today
There is no way the Rams would actually plan on going from Stafford to Nix. :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 02:51 PM Today
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
There is no way the Rams would actually plan on going from Stafford to Nix. :-)
Rams wanted Bowers badly, which indicates how they feel about Stafford. The Rams could have absolutely moved on from Stafford previously if they were truly ready to move on from him. They did have Baker Mayfield there in 2022 and could have kept him if they really wanted to begin the QB transition to him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams had Nix on their board, but he clearly wasn’t high on it. If they truly loved him they would have tried to trade up for him.

They probably had Nix graded as a 2nd rd pick like every other team but Denver while taking him in late rd 1 where the projections began for him.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:00 PM Today
False:

https://denvergazette.com/sports/des...dd9282371.html

Don’t buy this at all. The Rams purposefully moved off their high accuracy, low ceiling version of Bo Nix bc they realized their ceiling as a team was capped. They then had a closer version of what Nix is in Mayfield, who has a higher ceiling, and they also moved off him.

Yeah I doubt Sean McVay moved his limited QB to Detroit so he could turnaround and draft another limited QB like him 3 years later :-)
[Reply]
Page 4877 of 4877
« First < 3877437747774827486748734874487548764877
Up