ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2867 of 3903
« First < 1867236727672817285728632864286528662867 286828692870287128772917296733673867 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 02:28 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Statement from Yale Faculty on Hydroxychloroquine and its Use in COVID-19

We write with grave concern that too many are being distracted by the ardent advocacy of our Yale colleague, Dr. Harvey Risch, to promote the assertion that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) when given with antibiotics is effective in treating COVID-19, in particular as an early therapeutic intervention for the disease. As his colleagues, we defend the right of Dr. Risch, a respected cancer epidemiologist, to voice his opinions. But he is not an expert in infectious disease epidemiology and he has not been swayed by the body of scientific evidence from rigorously conducted clinical trials, which refute the plausibility of his belief and arguments. Over the last few weeks, all of us have spent considerable time explaining the evidence behind HCQ research, as it applies to early and late stage COVID-19 patients to the scientific community and general public, and now are compelled to detail the evidence in this open letter.

Spoiler!
Yeah but the demon-sperm doctor says they're wrong. So I guess it's a wash.

[Reply]
petegz28 02:33 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Yeah but the demon-sperm doctor says they're wrong. So I guess it's a wash.

Weren't you calculating us at being like 2k-3k deaths a day at this point or something?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:34 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Don't have a tantrum, it's not a political article....

'It saved my life': Democratic councilman says hydroxychloroquine was key to recovering from COVID

https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...oquine-was-key
Must have been the Benadryl I got before my infusions that cured my cancer.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:39 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Must have been the Benadryl I got before my infusions that cured my cancer.
Benadryl is the awesome...don't even go there
[Reply]
Donger 02:39 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Frankly I don't have a "dog in the fight" either
Right.

other than I find it amazing people still dismiss it outright when all over the world its still being used as a treatment. That doesn't make sense with it being settled science.
How many of these all over the world treatments have been RCTs?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:43 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Benadryl is the awesome...don't even go there
Good in a lot of ways, really sucks in others. Benadryl ODs are interesting.

Interesting alliteration/mnemonic for toxicity:

Blind as a bat
Dry as a bone
Full as a flask (can’t urinate)
Hot as a Hades
Red as a beet
Mad as a hatter
Tacky as a leisure suit (fast heart rate)

Pro-tip: Don't give to people over 65, especially if they have dementia.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:46 PM 08-17-2020
UNC is shutting down in person classes just after 1 week because they had 130 positive cases and probably have much larger outbreak occurring. Who could have predicted that. :-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:48 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
UNC is shutting down in person classes just after 1 week because they had 130 positive cases and probably have much larger outbreak occurring. Who could have predicted that. :-)
Anyone else have elementary school-aged kids?

How are you planning on handling the (almost certain) possibility of them being virtual for a large portion of the year?
[Reply]
jdubya 02:50 PM 08-17-2020
I wonder how many are symptomatic and/or hospitalized.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:53 PM 08-17-2020
Frankly I don't have a "dog in the fight" either other than I find it amazing people still dismiss it outright when all over the world its still being used as a treatment. That doesn't make sense with it being settled science.

Then the same people want to use these crazy outlier cases like the one random 22 year old healthy guy who got permanent heart damage from Covid as if that's a real statistical danger for anyone who gets Covid but want to outright ignore many many doctors who say HQC has worked for their patients.

:-)

i dunno seems a little hypcoritical.
Any healthcare practitioner has the ability to make choices for treatment, it’s just that some treatment options have scientific backing with supported data and some do not. You are asked as a provider to promote treatments within your scope of practice and those supported by research.

In my field I help people return swallow function from a variety of conditions. This may include strokes, head/neck cancer, Parkinson’s and dementia. I have an estim unit that sends electrical impulses to help improve muscular contraction and swallow function when paired with oral motor exercises. It’s been shown to improve function post stroke but does not have evidence in support of improving swallow function in people with Parkinson’s, as traditional compensatory swallow techniques are more beneficial for them. However, some therapists will give estim to people with Parkinson’s even though the data doesn’t support it’s use and traditional treatments are more effective. Does that make it wrong? No, but it cannot be stated to be a cure when data does not support this, especially when it’s paired with traditional treatments. Could we have achieved the same results, without risking side effects, just using traditional treatments?

This is similar to HCQ based on current research. Traditional treatments prove same/more effective without the possible known side effects from HCQ. Does that mean it can’t be used as last resort, maybe not. But drawing conclusions that it’s curing COVID cannot be drawn from any studies or literature.

There’s examples in all of healthcare about making decisions and making good/better decisions. It shouldn’t be a guessing game.

/typing on phone
[Reply]
suzzer99 03:03 PM 08-17-2020
The doctor I know in Seattle was in one of the HCQ studies. He said he didn't think it did much, but some of the nurses thought it was a miracle drug. Point is the more emotionally involved you are, and you see the patient seem to miraculously get better the day they take something - you're going to believe in it. Which is exactly why you need placebos and double-blind studies.

These non-RCT HCQ studies seem to have taken patients who were probably going to get better anyway, and purposely excluded the really sick patients - at least the ones I've dived into.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:11 PM 08-17-2020

Predicted that they would shut down after something happened everyone knew would happen? Yeah that is pointless. If cases means you shut down then starting was pointless to begin with. As far as I can tell that’s not the debate though about in person schooling occurring.
[Reply]
O.city 03:16 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Anyone else have elementary school-aged kids?

How are you planning on handling the (almost certain) possibility of them being virtual for a large portion of the year?
I have two. Luckily the wife works from home and was a teacher before, but I'm not looking forward to it. It really had an effect on my kindergartener last year psychologically. I am hopeful they can stay in school this year.

They're doing all they can to make it work.
[Reply]
O.city 03:21 PM 08-17-2020
Getting a little hairy here in Greene county. Hospitalizations up by a fair amount over the weekend.
[Reply]
TLO 03:35 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Getting a little hairy here in Greene county. Hospitalizations up by a fair amount over the weekend.
We're seeing a small uptick here in Buchanan. We've had counties around us that don't have medical facilities that have had outbreaks in nursing homes, so I think this may have something to do with it.

Our cases per day have been steadily increasing around here though. We were averaging 4 or 5 a day for a while and now seem to be closer to 11-12 per day.
[Reply]
Page 2867 of 3903
« First < 1867236727672817285728632864286528662867 286828692870287128772917296733673867 > Last »
Up