Page 768 of 934
« First < 268668718758764765766767768 769770771772778818868 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:59 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
Not in my nature, generally speaking, but I'll most likely be pulling some things back for sure.
Just be careful. My parents lost 50%+ of their retirement, within 3-4 years of retirement in 2008 because people thought being exposed to a high percentage of equities was "always safe."

I wouldn't recommend more than 50% exposure to stocks within a few years of retirement.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:19 AM 09-21-2021
if I can get LCID and AMC to meet at 30 I'm switching some positions. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:39 PM 09-21-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
FWIW, I got out of ADM and BG in the green. They outperformed the market in the timeframe I owned them by a few percentage points. Technically shouldn't have done it. It pushed through some resistance and set back, but I don't think it can overcome the momentum of the market as a whole.

I feel pretty good about it considering what the SPY QQQ and DIA look like in my account. Woof.
FWIW I got out at the right time on ADM and BG. They might stay rangebound but they got wrecked man.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 01:47 PM 09-21-2021
I bought into TSP at the opening today at $38.15. I like them as a long term hold. IMO, even if they are not the company who solves automated trucking, someone will buy them out along the way to achieving that goal.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 01:49 PM 09-21-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Just be careful. My parents lost 50%+ of their retirement, within 3-4 years of retirement in 2008 because people thought being exposed to a high percentage of equities was "always safe."

I wouldn't recommend more than 50% exposure to stocks within a few years of retirement.
Do you think the “rule of 120” is a safe/good strategy for diversification of your portfolio for retirement?
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:49 PM 09-21-2021

I don't really think you have an option at this time. We haven't hit negative nominal interest rates like Japan & Europe but we're getting there. A normal US bond fund is already negative real yields.

He's planning to retire at 56, assuming he's healthy he can't be taking a negative drag on 50% of his portfolio. He could easily have 35 years left. Unless it's a mental/emotional crutch, I don't think I'd go above 30%? bonds. Unless you're betting on rates going down, right now most bonds are setting money/purchasing power slowly on fire.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:36 PM 09-21-2021
I'm going long on UWMC at this price point of under $7.

Long in my ROTH and won't touch for years, more than likely.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:39 PM 09-21-2021
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I don't really think you have an option at this time. We haven't hit negative nominal interest rates like Japan & Europe but we're getting there. A normal US bond fund is already negative real yields.

He's planning to retire at 56, assuming he's healthy he can't be taking a negative drag on 50% of his portfolio. He could easily have 35 years left. Unless it's a mental/emotional crutch, I don't think I'd go above 30%? bonds. Unless you're betting on rates going down, right now most bonds are setting money/purchasing power slowly on fire.
So what happens if he stays 80% in stocks and we have a major market correction in the next 3 years?

But I do understand what you're saying given his age. He will need his money to continue to work for him over 3+ decades more than likely.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:34 AM 09-22-2021
So what happens if he stays 80% in stocks and we have a major market correction in the next 3 years?

But I do understand what you're saying given his age. He will need his money to continue to work for him over 3+ decades more than likely.
I can answer that:

He doesn't sell his stock and take the loss. The Market ALWAYS corrects.
[Reply]
Shag 11:19 AM 09-22-2021
I'm going long on UWMC at this price point of under $7.

Long in my ROTH and won't touch for years, more than likely.
I'm not familiar - what do you like about UWMC?
[Reply]
neech 12:21 PM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
I was wondering that myself.
[Reply]
rydogg58 06:14 PM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
I was talking to a friend of mine that is pretty hot on Wells Fargo right now. He's thinking with the eviction moratorium ending on Sept 30th, that a lot of people might be wanting to refinance mortgages on renters that haven't been paying. He also thinks that the feds are going to have to raise interest rates so the banks can start making money again.

Just guessing, but that might be something that affects UWMC as well since they deal with mortgages.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:35 PM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chazno:
I would say that is assuming you can fully fund the Roth. If you can only put away 6k a year, put it in the Roth. No reason to put 3k into 529 and 3k into Roth. If your kids decides not to go to college or gets scholarships you will end up losing money or finding alternate uses for it (grandkids, neices/nephews).
The deal is though, you invest one way for your retirement and another for your child's education. I am far more aggressive with my kid's 529 than I am my Roth IRA.
[Reply]
neech 07:10 PM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
I was talking to a friend of mine that is pretty hot on Wells Fargo right now. He's thinking with the eviction moratorium ending on Sept 30th, that a lot of people might be wanting to refinance mortgages on renters that haven't been paying. He also thinks that the feds are going to have to raise interest rates so the banks can start making money again.

Just guessing, but that might be something that affects UWMC as well since they deal with mortgages.
There are lots of mortgage companies out there what makes this one stand out?
[Reply]
rydogg58 07:18 PM 09-22-2021
Originally Posted by neech:
There are lots of mortgage companies out there what makes this one stand out?
I don't have a clue. That was just my best educated guess. Lew knows 1000 times more than me, so I'm curious what he sees too.
[Reply]
Page 768 of 934
« First < 268668718758764765766767768 769770771772778818868 > Last »
Up