Page 766 of 934
« First < 266666716756762763764765766 767768769770776816866 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
neech 09:09 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Yeah she did well with her Tesla bet back in the day, which she does deserve credit for...but ever since people seem to think she's some genius stock guru when her ETF's haven't really performed that well at all since.
She's overrated, you'd think she was like a Warren Buffett. He was the king of saying he bought shares in a certain company other investors would jump on it and the stock would be successful to boot.
[Reply]
neech 09:10 PM 09-16-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Yeah she did well with her Tesla bet back in the day, which she does deserve credit for...but ever since people seem to think she's some genius stock guru when her ETF's haven't really performed that well at all since.
A broken clock is right twice a day.
[Reply]
ghak99 01:32 PM 09-17-2021
I'm behind, but it's an interesting discussion...

I'm about as anti only child as you can get. My father was one, and it shines through very very strongly in most of his life choices and living patterns even into his glory years. Nearly every other single child I know has the same issues and tendencies. It's quite the people watching topic.

I have one sibling and my parents lost a child, a boy, at birth. I often wonder how having an older brother would have change me. My sister and I are opposites in many ways and I have no doubt if she was an only child she would be one miserable bitch for anyone who crossed her path. She has 3 kids and when big life decisions come up she often calls me for my more level headed views. Not that she follows my opinion, but she knows what she gets when she calls and can weigh it on her own. I also invite her into some of my business dealings when needed because I know her approach and general attitude can be a benefit for everyone involved when it is needed. Being able to feed off each other and learn from our differences growing up has been a huge asset in life, no doubt about it.

I do not believe I have kids, so as of now our parents end of life situation should be rather simple even though there will be a rather large figure in the form of assets built over three generations at stake. Much to my surprise, she has matured to understand we grew up very financially poor and asset rich and she has put next to zero work and absolutely no money at risk into pushing the stack over the hump to where it is and you can tell it influences her input when such discussions rarely arise. There is something that we are going to disagree on, but the way her kids are maturing I believe it's going to work itself out without either of us arguing over it. I could be very wrong, but only time will tell.

I understand we're just one of a billion scenarios, but I can't envision how either of us would be being better off as people or financially if we were single siblings.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:48 PM 09-17-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Any thoughts on CHPT?

I've been out of EV stocks and am hesitant. Has it been beatdown enough to buy in?
You seem to be doing well. Nice work.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:07 PM 09-17-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
ILUS up another 21% today
27% again today
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:28 PM 09-17-2021
LCID beginning it's rise today. Should hit at least 30.
[Reply]
rydogg58 04:22 PM 09-17-2021
I talked to my HR department today in regards to my life insurance. Turns out, I'm screwed unless I have a qualifying life event like marriage/divorce. They've had 2 open enrollment periods in the last 21 years, so I'm stuck with what I've got.

Talked to my wife and asked her if a 300k difference was worth a divorce. She's still not happy with me. Oh well, guess I'll have to look up private insurance.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:29 AM 09-20-2021
BLOODBATH!!!!
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:27 AM 09-20-2021
ILUS is killing it again today. I hope it holds. I probably just jinxed it.

Also bought some CYBL last week that is looking pretty good. Up 65% so far.

Thinking about dumping TWOH. Down 17%

And WHSI Down 33%
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:35 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
BLOODBATH!!!!
FWIW, I got out of ADM and BG in the green. They outperformed the market in the timeframe I owned them by a few percentage points. Technically shouldn't have done it. It pushed through some resistance and set back, but I don't think it can overcome the momentum of the market as a whole.

I feel pretty good about it considering what the SPY QQQ and DIA look like in my account. Woof.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:08 AM 09-20-2021
Going to get killed today

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
lewdog 10:16 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Going to get killed today

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Oh no, down a few percentage points from all time highs!!!

Oh Noez!!!!
[Reply]
stumppy 10:17 AM 09-20-2021
OUCH! Make it stop.
[Reply]
myselff77 10:40 AM 09-20-2021
For those parents out there... Do you have a 529 account to save for college?
I'm in an interesting situation being in my early 40's before having kids (only 1). I currently have a Roth, but I'm not close to maxing it out. By the time my son is ready for college, I'll be 60 and in theory can tap into the Roth funds.

Is there any reason to put money into a 529 before maxing out my Roth IRA? From what I can tell, both are very similar, but the 529 can only be used for education otherwise there may be a penalty/tax hit to withdraw the funds.

Seems like I should focus more on the Roth given my age. If I'm not missing anything, it gives me the option of using that money for college bills for the little guy or still have the option to use the money for anything else, without penalty, if the college outlook changes 18 years from now. Anything I'm missing? Thoughts?
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:55 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by myselff77:
For those parents out there... Do you have a 529 account to save for college?
I'm in an interesting situation being in my early 40's before having kids (only 1). I currently have a Roth, but I'm not close to maxing it out. By the time my son is ready for college, I'll be 60 and in theory can tap into the Roth funds.

Is there any reason to put money into a 529 before maxing out my Roth IRA? From what I can tell, both are very similar, but the 529 can only be used for education otherwise there may be a penalty/tax hit to withdraw the funds.

Seems like I should focus more on the Roth given my age. If I'm not missing anything, it gives me the option of using that money for college bills for the little guy or still have the option to use the money for anything else, without penalty, if the college outlook changes 18 years from now. Anything I'm missing? Thoughts?
I'd stick it in the Roth. It is far less restrictive. In your case, you might look at a Traditional after you max out your Roth. That will give you a tax benefit in the short term and have similar outcomes at college time, although the withdrawls would be taxable.

I looked into a 529 plan and concluded the same thing.
[Reply]
Page 766 of 934
« First < 266666716756762763764765766 767768769770776816866 > Last »
Up