ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 208 of 219
« First < 108158198204205206207208 209210211212218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official Mizzou Football 2023-2024 Thread****
duncan_idaho 09:14 AM 07-03-2023
Year 4 of the Drinkwitz era, let's discuss.

Schedule
Recruiting Class
Rivals
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:52 PM 01-05-2024
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Baker becomes the highest paid assistant coach in the nation. Hard to turn that down.
His contract at Mizzou was 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 M over three years. So he picks up an extra 1.8M over 24-26. Assuming he doesn't get thrown under the bus by Kelly next year when they don't win the national title or make the playoff.
[Reply]
Jerm 12:25 AM 01-06-2024
The funny thing is, there’s rumors out there I guess that if Harbaugh jets to the NFL it might be Kelly in line for the Michigan job….

I don’t buy it necessarily but it’d be hilarious.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:48 AM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Jerm:
The funny thing is, there’s rumors out there I guess that if Harbaugh jets to the NFL it might be Kelly in line for the Michigan job….

I don’t but it necessarily but it’d be hilarious.
I hope so but hard to imagine Sherrone Moore not getting the job after what he accomplished this year
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:18 AM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
He has 2 10 win seasons in his first 2 years at LSU.

He isn’t getting fired.
And Louisiana is arguably the most talent rich state in the country you can throw a rock and hit a blue chip recruit. While Mizzou did a damn good job at recruiting LSU had another top 10 class something I don't think MU has ever done
[Reply]
jjchieffan 10:17 AM 01-06-2024
This is probably too long for some of you. But I found this article on SB Nation listing 4 candidates that they liked for our new DC.

So your defensive coordinator just got poached. Let’s talk about it.

The news that Blake Baker is leaving Mizzou — just weeks after signing an extension with Mizzou! — is a bit of a gut punch that puts a bit of a damper on what should have been a celebratory offseason. But, hey, this is college football. Bad things are going to happen.

Fortunately, the timing of the news gives Eli Drinkwitz and Desiree Reed-Francois ample time to find Baker’s replacement. It won’t be easy: Does anyone have a spare coordinator who can coach consecutive Top 20 units lying around? But there are a few candidates who make sense for the Tigers, including one that immediately jumps off the page. Let’s take a look, shall we?

DJ Smith, Missouri, Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach/Recruiting Coordinator

DJ Smith and Eli Drinkwitz with 2024 signee Brian Huff.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but this makes almost too much sense. Smith followed Drinkwitz from Appalachian State and has been on the rise ever since. Hired as a linebackers coach originally, Smith added the titles of Recruiting Coordinator and Co-Defensive Coordinator in short order and has overseen the rise of multiple stars and solid contributors in the linebacking corp — Nick Bolton, Blaze Alldredge, Ty’Ron Hopper, Chad Bailey, etc. Given the key role he has played in recruiting this roster and coaching it up, it would be somewhat surprising if he the “Co” in his title wasn’t removed.

Jim Leonhard, Illinois, Senior Football Analyst

If you want to go outside the program, no one brings as much in the way of high-end experience and availability as Jim Leonhard. The one-time defensive coordinator and interim head coach at Wisconsin, Leonhard spent five seasons as the Badgers’ DC. In that time, the Badgers annually had units that ranked in the Top 10 in total and scoring defense. He’s currently serving as a Senior Football Analyst under Brett Beliema at Illinois and should be available at a price comparable to what Baker was making. It’s hard to imagine you’d find a better candidate outside of Columbia than Leonhard.

Jimmy Rogers, South Dakota State, Head Coach

Let’s think outside the box for a second... and the FBS for that matter. Jimmy Rogers
Let’s think outside the box for a second... and the FBS for that matter. Jimmy Rogers is about to finish his first season as the South Dakota State head coach by seeking the Jackrabbits’ second consecutive FCS national championship. In his one campaign as the school’s defensive coordinator, SDSU finished first in defensive SP+. In his one campaign as the school’s head coach, SDSU finished — you guessed it — first in defensive SP+. Does it help that he took over the machine that John Stiegelmeier created? Sure, but he had more than his fair share in the construction. Is it likely that he’d leave his alma mater and FCS royalty for a coordinator gig at Mizzou? No. But at least you can make the call!

Will Muschamp, Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties Coach, Georgia

Before you track me down to throw rotten fruit at me, indulge me for a second. Ah, I see you’re still prepping the fruit. I’ll be quick then...

Will Muschamp has fooled SEC teams more than once. Simply put, he’s not necessarily good for business, especially when you hire him as a head coach. But great news, Tiger fans: Will Muschamp would not come to Columbia as a head coach! He’s been working under Kirby Smart for the past three seasons and, while it’s not difficult to field an elite defense in Athens, Georgia has finished 1st, 3rd and 5th in defensive SP+ during his time there. Kirby Smart’s mentor has been known to fix up also-ran head coaches and make them palatable to the national landscape. Could Smart have done the same for Muschamp? And would he leave the confines of Georgia to be the sole DC under Drinkwitz? It’s unlikely we’ll find out, but the thought isn’t as crazy as it may seem.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 10:59 AM 01-06-2024
Hopefully LSU loses some games this season.
[Reply]
TribalElder 01:03 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia:
Hopefully LSU loses some games this season.
Well, I do remember how LSU torched our defense at the end of the game to beat Mizzou so there is that :-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:28 PM 01-06-2024
I think the internal hire makes the most sense. Another question, though: did Baker actually sign that extension, and if so, how much is the buyout language?

Sounds like he's been talking to them since November, which is really shitty given all of his messaging since.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 01:32 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I think the internal hire makes the most sense. Another question, though: did Baker actually sign that extension, and if so, how much is the buyout language?

Sounds like he's been talking to them since November, which is really shitty given all of his messaging since.
He just signed an extension so he could get more money out of LSU. I think the buyout is almost a million bucks.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:35 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia:
He just signed an extension so he could get more money out of LSU. I think the buyout is almost a million bucks.
Can we shunt that to the NIL collective, or do we need MURR to sell nuclear secrets to Qatar like aTM is doing?
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 01:40 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Can we shunt that to the NIL collective, or do we need MURR to sell nuclear secrets to Qatar like aTM is doing?
Yes I think you can use it for NIL, they are discussing it on SEC rant.
[Reply]
|Zach| 03:54 PM 01-06-2024
Read yesterday the buyout is $950k.

I know how the world works but this is a shitty thing to do right after the extension. If he made this deal happen before that fair play but it all sucks especially with the messaging he constantly spouts.

The word is out though we have a lot of money to pay someone to keep this defense going. It’s fine if he doesn’t take kids with him I don’t know what those dynamics are.
[Reply]
Jerm 05:04 PM 01-06-2024
I don’t know if he’d take the job but I’d throw all the $$ at Muschamp and make him tell you no….
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:27 PM 01-06-2024
Originally Posted by Jerm:
I don’t know if he’d take the job but I’d throw all the $$ at Muschamp and make him tell you no….
No thanks. Whatsoever.

DJ Smith is the correct call and the one I assume they'll make.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 05:44 AM 01-10-2024
Looks like Mizzou finished 8th in the final AP Poll....not bad for a team predicted to finish at the bottom of the SEC ladder.
[Reply]
Page 208 of 219
« First < 108158198204205206207208 209210211212218 > Last »
Up