ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 259 of 295
« First < 159209249255256257258259 260261262263269 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****The Clyde Edwards-Helaire Thread*****
Dante84 10:09 PM 04-23-2020
More to come! (I'll clean it up later - info dump into the OP)

(mod edit, all the goodness is in the spoiler tags)
Spoiler!

[Reply]
staylor26 04:26 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
The loss was taking any RB period. Tee Higgins or Pittman Jr and this offense is humming. And that’s not even a hindsight is 20/20 suggestion, both would have been obvious picks over a god damned runningback in an Andy Reid off win the 1st.
If that's the case, then show us where you were calling for that. Surely you have receipts.
[Reply]
notorious 04:57 PM 10-19-2022
If we are going to do the "if we would have chosen ________ (insert Pro bowler nobody predicted) we'd be so much better" argument, we can literally go across every team ever and pick them to pieces.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 05:11 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
There's no L to take.

WTF has Swift done? He's statistically worse than CEH.

And the concern with Taylor was always his college workload/wear and tear.

The Colts are now running him into the ground and his production has begun dropping off and his injuries are starting to pile up.

At the time, CEH looked like the perfect match for the Chiefs offense. Ya'll act like Veach, Mahomes and many in the national media didn't see the same damn things Staylor and I did.

CEH hasn't been the star game breaker we had hoped, but he's far from the "bust" chiefs fans want to label him as.
I wasn't aware of him prior to the draft, so I was surprised when I saw the pick, but when I heard his measurables I was like wtf is that?

I wanted to take a shot at Claypool in the first and look for an rb in the middle rounds None of the RBs struck me as first round talents in that draft
[Reply]
staylor26 05:13 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
If we are going to do the "if we would have chosen ________ (insert Pro bowler nobody predicted) we'd be so much better" argument, we can literally go across every team ever and pick them to pieces.
But then what would OKchiefs have to bitch about?

You have to forgive him for being such a miserable fuck, but it's not like this is the golden age of Chiefs football, so can you blame him?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:22 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
That's not what's going on here. There were a pretty significant number of posters that did want Swift or Taylor over CEH before the pick was ultimately made. Or just didn't want any and preferred one of the WRs instead.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:22 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Taylor would've been the far superior pick. It is what it is. Quite sad to see the Colts smash him into glue so early in his career.
That was going to happen regardless. The guy is a grinder, it's just who he is. Taylor was one of those guys I didn't like because I didn't think he'd make it through a 2nd contract. If you were to take him, you'd have to accept the probability that you had him for 5 years and then had to let someone else pay him big money.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:25 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That was going to happen regardless. The guy is a grinder, it's just who he is. Taylor was one of those guys I didn't like because I didn't think he'd make it through a 2nd contract. If you were to take him, you'd have to accept the probability that you had him for 5 years and then had to let someone else pay him big money.
That's any RB ever for this team. They'd either play themselves out of a reasonable contract here or they'd be JAGs constantly churning through one year vet mins. There's not much grey area in the NFL when it comes to RBs unfortunately, especially for the Chiefs in particular.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:26 PM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
If that's the case, then show us where you were calling for that. Surely you have receipts.
Hindsight is a motherfucker.

These guys talking like they were thinking WR the whole way are full of it.

The year CEH was drafted we had Hill, Watkins and a 2nd year Hardman.

We were fresh off a SB win with the touted "Legion of Zoom" crew at WR.

NO ONE was talking WR back then. We had the fucking "LEGION OF ZOOM".

It's real easy to go back and say, "Oh we shoulda taken Higgens". Reality is we walked into the 2020 season "loaded" at WR and the only real glaring gap on the roster was RB.

How quickly we forget reality i guess.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:32 PM 10-19-2022
Huh? It wouldn't have been controversial at all to talk about preparing for life after Watkins. Even then he'd not exactly been a beacon of health.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:33 PM 10-19-2022
Am I full of shit, or did it come out afterwards that we were REALLY interested in Jeff Gladney and the Vikings got him just before we could? I swear I remember hearing or reading that.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:36 PM 10-19-2022
Huh? It wouldn't have been controversial at all to talk about preparing for life after Watkins. Even then he'd not exactly been a beacon of health.
Bastion, the word you're looking for is bastion.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 05:40 PM 10-19-2022
That's not what's going on here. There were a pretty significant number of posters that did want Swift or Taylor over CEH before the pick was ultimately made. Or just didn't want any and preferred one of the WRs instead.
Ubeja was pounding the table for Taylor.

Unfortunately, he was also under the table pounding that coyote.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:42 PM 10-19-2022
Yeah, I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with that notion that WR wasn't a realistic option to discuss in 2020. The Chiefs arguably were doing more diligence there than at any other position besides maybe CB and DL. A list of our interviews and visits before COVID fucked everything for reference:

Cornerbacks
CB Terrell Burgess | Utah (5-11, 202 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)
CB Trevon Diggs | Alabama (6-1, 205 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
CB Kristian Fulton | LSU (6-0, 197 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
CB Jeff Gladney | TCU (5-10, 191 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Kent)
CB Jaylon Johnson | Utah (6-0, 193 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
CB Reggie Robinson II | Tulsa (6-1, 205 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)
CB AJ Terrell | Clemson (6-1, 195 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)

Defensive linemen
DL Ross Blacklock | TCU (6-4, 290 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via KCTV5)
DL Marlon Davidson | Auburn (6-3, 303 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via KCTV5)
DL Raekwon Davis | Alabama (6-7, 331 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)
DL Jordan Elliott | Missouri (6-4, 302 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via KCTV5)
DL Khalid Kareem | Notre Dame (6-4, 268 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Kent)
DL Julian Okwara | Notre Dame (6-4, 252 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)
DL Jason Strowbridge | North Carolina (6-4, 275 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Kent)

Linebackers
LB Troy Dye | Oregon (6-4, 231 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Kent)
LB Patrick Queen | LSU (6-1, 229 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Kent)

Offensive linemen
OL Ben Bredeson | Michigan (6-5, 315 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
OL Yasir Durant | Missouri (6-6, 331 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
OL Charlie Heck (son of Chiefs OL coach Andy Heck) | North Carolina (6-8, 311 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)
OL Robert Hunt | Louisiana-Lafayette (6-5, 323 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)

Running backs
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire | LSU (5-7, 207 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via NFL Draft)
RB Anthony McFarland | Maryland (5-8, 208 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Draft Network)
RB Zack Moss | Utah (5-9, 223 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)

Tight ends
TE Jacob Breeland | Oregon (6-5, 252 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)

Wide receivers
WR Lawrence Cager | Georgia (6-5, 220 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
WR Aaron Fuller | Washington (5-11, 188 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
WR Tee Higgins | Clemson (6-4, 216 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
WR Justin Jefferson | LSU (6-1, 202 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
WR Van Jefferson | Florida (6-1, 200 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via Chiefs Wire)
WR Juwan Johnson | Oregon (6-4, 230 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
WR Donovan Peoples-Jones | Michigan (6-2, 212 lbs) | NFL.com draft profile (via The Kansas City Star)
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:44 PM 10-19-2022
It wouldn't have been controversial, but that wasn't the line of thinking.

We had just witnessed Watkins catch the pass that took us the the SB, and then watched him burn Sherman IN the SB.

At the time, Watkins was a fan favorite and Hardman was this exciting up and coming player that was making all sorts of special teams plays.

WR was not an issue at the time or at the forefront of anyone's minds.

We still loved Frank Clark at the time too. We were high on Breeland and Ward, a killer rookie season from Thornhill, and we had prime Tyrann in the secondary.

We had given a big-ish contract to Hitchens and he was our core LB.

We had Fisher and Schwartz at tackle.

It was real fucking easy to look at the roster, look at the draft, and then project who the Chiefs would pick.

I called the CEH pick several days before the draft. Not because i know wtf im doing, but because it was by far the most obvious answer.

Chiefs were in a "Luxury" pick state of mind, and the only "hole" on the roster was RB. Then you had this CEH guy who had what looked like the IDEAL skillset for this offense, and who'd be available around our pick. It was an obvious no-brainer.

Can't come back years later and declare what we "shold've" done. Totally disingenuous when you consider the state of the Chiefs at the time.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:46 PM 10-19-2022
Yeah, I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with that notion that WR wasn't a realistic option to discuss in 2020.
I think i laid out the mindset of the Chiefs and the state of the team pretty well.

No one was seriously considering a 4th string WR as a realistic option for a 1st round draft pick.
[Reply]
Page 259 of 295
« First < 159209249255256257258259 260261262263269 > Last »
Up