ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 51 of 147
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>*****Official George Floyd/MPLS Police dep trial*****
displacedinMN 09:47 AM 01-12-2021
Under Special Request-Shortened to help out

What happened -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_George_Floyd

Results and riots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests

Trials-Latest

Spoiler!

Charges
Spoiler!

I will update things as I can-I have full RedStarTrib access.

Live tweets from Red Star http://live.startribune.com/Event/Li...rial_testimony

KARE 11 Live Stream with experts. https://www.kare11.com/watch?vid=5b7...b-8073ea5b7450
[Reply]
Shields68 03:17 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Jurors claimed they could set aside any biases. I do not know how they could set them aside or even NOT heard of this Sshow.
Yep I doubt the trial will change those with a previous opinion. People will see what confirms their already held opinions in the testimony and most likely gloss over things that do not support those opinions.

Even though the state has a bad case, I think the press did a good job of swaying the public there should be a conviction.
[Reply]
TLO 03:44 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Said this earlier in this thread but it bears repeating;

Not Guilty; riots in the streets
Guilty; celebratory marches that turn into riots in the streets
:-)
[Reply]
TLO 03:55 PM 04-05-2021
Has the family received any settlement money yet? I can't keep track in these cases.

Oh.. NVM. Just remembered his family got 27 million.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:04 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Ever since the delayed autopsy came out, their case was weak.
Slightly Corrected your post
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:32 PM 04-05-2021
Monday, April 5

Today in court:

Before Monday's first witness, the proceedings started with Defense attorney Eric Nelson explaining why he wants more of Chauvin's body-worn camera video from the night of the arrest. Nelson said it showed the "totality of the circumstances" of what happened after Floyd was taken in the ambulance to HCMC.
Prosecutor Matthew Frank pushed back, saying the footage includes hearsay comments from two of the officers about what happened and is not relevant. Cahill said he would allow most of the footage, because Chauvin's statements are not offered as "the truth of the matter asserted." He said, "It shows Mr. Chauvin's demeanor and actions immediately after Mr. Floyd was removed to the hospital. I think it is relevant for the jury to see."
The day focused heavily on officer training and how Chauvin's actions on May 25 did not comply with what he was taught, according to the prosecution. Defense attorney Eric Nelson countered with how policy wording gives officers latitude during arrests, and flexibility about how and when to provide medical attention to a suspect. The prosecution called three new witnesses to testify on Monday. They were:
1. Dr. Bradford Wankhede Langenfeld, the emergency room physician at HCMC who examined Floyd and declared him dead soon after he arrived by ambulance. He said he tried various measures for 30 minutes to save his patient. He testified that Floyd never had a heartbeat "sufficient to sustain life" and he believed Floyd's cardiac arrest was due to a lack of oxygen, or asphyxia. He said he did not believe Floyd's cardiac arrest was the result of a heart attack.

"At the time it was not completely possible to rule that out," he said, "but I felt it was less likely based on the information available to us."

2. Chief Medaria Arradondo, who has served as the 700-member force's police chief for the past three years. He went on the record less than a month after Floyd died and called it "murder." On Monday, Arradondo placed the responsibility for Floyd's death on Chauvin in his testimony using terms that were just as clear but less stark.

"Once Mr. Floyd had stopped resisting — and certainly once he was in distress and trying to verbalize that — that should have stopped," the chief said after spelling out department policy on when to use force vs. calming a situation through de-escalation tactics.

"There's an initial reasonableness of trying to just get him under control in the first few seconds," the chief continued, "but once there was no longer any resistance, and clearly when Mr. Floyd was no longer responsive and even motionless, to continue to apply that level of force to a person proned out, handcuffed behind their back, that in no way shape or form is anything that is by policy. It's not part of our training and is certainly not part of our ethics or values."

Under cross examination by defense attorney Eric Nelson, Arradondo acknowledged that officers sometimes need to take control of a situation. "Would you agree that the use of force is not an attractive notion?" Nelson asked.

"I would say the use of force is something that most officers would rather not use," Arradondo said. The chief also agreed that department policy affords an officer flexibility under evolving circumstances for when to use force or choose to de-escalate an encounter with someone resisting arrest.

3. Inspector Katie Blackwell, the Fifth Precinct Inspector for the Minneapolis Police Department, who formerly headed up training for the department when Floyd was killed. Blackwell was shown a photo from the viral video of Chauvin on Floyd's neck and was asked whether that is a tactic the police are taught.

"I don't know what kind of improvised position this is," said Blackwell, who has known Chauvin for about 20 years, when they were both community service officers.

She also walked through records showing the various training that Chauvin received in 2016 and 2018, which included when a suspected is detained facedown and handcuffed. As heard multiple times in previous testimony during the prosecution's case, the person should be put "in the side recovery position or an upright position … as soon as possible," or run the risk of asphyxiation."

What to expect next: Court resumes Tuesday at 8:30 a.m., when one or more legal issues will be discussed before the jurors are called back in soon afterward for the resumption of witness testimony and presentation of evidence.

During that time, Morries Hall, who was with Floyd on the night of his arrest, will appear remotely from the Hennepin County jail concerning his intention to invoke his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination if compelled to testify. Hall was in the SUV with Floyd outside Cup Foods when police approached to investigate Floyd passing a fake $20 bill. The judge on Monday signed an order allowing Hall to wear civilian clothes instead of jail scrubs for the court appearance. Hall is in custody on an unrelated matter.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 08:44 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
BLM leaders promising Minneapolis will burn if they don't convict.
Care to provide a link or are you just spewing bs to fit your biased narrative?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:52 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
It was there. But I believe it will happen no matter what the verdict.

Remember last fall when the MPLS police had the release the footage of someone COMMITTING SUICIDE so that people would not thing he died because of the police.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:08 PM 04-05-2021
I was summarizing a link left by another poster for a poster that couldn’t open the link. It’s all over the internet if you want to read about it. Or you can go fuck your self, makes no difference to me.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 11:04 PM 04-05-2021
It was there. But I believe it will happen no matter what the verdict.

Remember last fall when the MPLS police had the release the footage of someone COMMITTING SUICIDE so that people would not thing he died because of the police.
So if it was "there" then where is it now?? And can you name these supposed "leaders" who said what folks are accusing them of saying please??
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 11:07 PM 04-05-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I was summarizing a link left by another poster for a poster that couldn’t open the link. It’s all over the internet if you want to read about it. Or you can go **** your self, makes no difference to me.
So you have no proof of what you said??? WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED THAT A SILLY PRICK SPOUTING HOT AIR CANNOT PROVIDE THE EVIDENCE AFTER MAKING A STUPID, DANGEROUS ACCUSATION? SMH :-)
[Reply]
frozenchief 11:38 PM 04-05-2021
Monday, April 5

Today in court:

Before Monday's first witness, the proceedings started with Defense attorney Eric Nelson explaining why he wants more of Chauvin's body-worn camera video from the night of the arrest. Nelson said it showed the "totality of the circumstances" of what happened after Floyd was taken in the ambulance to HCMC.
Prosecutor Matthew Frank pushed back, saying the footage includes hearsay comments from two of the officers about what happened and is not relevant. Cahill said he would allow most of the footage, because Chauvin's statements are not offered as "the truth of the matter asserted." He said, "It shows Mr. Chauvin's demeanor and actions immediately after Mr. Floyd was removed to the hospital. I think it is relevant for the jury to see."
The day focused heavily on officer training and how Chauvin's actions on May 25 did not comply with what he was taught, according to the prosecution. Defense attorney Eric Nelson countered with how policy wording gives officers latitude during arrests, and flexibility about how and when to provide medical attention to a suspect. The prosecution called three new witnesses to testify on Monday. They were:
1. Dr. Bradford Wankhede Langenfeld, the emergency room physician at HCMC who examined Floyd and declared him dead soon after he arrived by ambulance. He said he tried various measures for 30 minutes to save his patient. He testified that Floyd never had a heartbeat "sufficient to sustain life" and he believed Floyd's cardiac arrest was due to a lack of oxygen, or asphyxia. He said he did not believe Floyd's cardiac arrest was the result of a heart attack.

"At the time it was not completely possible to rule that out," he said, "but I felt it was less likely based on the information available to us."

2. Chief Medaria Arradondo, who has served as the 700-member force's police chief for the past three years. He went on the record less than a month after Floyd died and called it "murder." On Monday, Arradondo placed the responsibility for Floyd's death on Chauvin in his testimony using terms that were just as clear but less stark.

"Once Mr. Floyd had stopped resisting — and certainly once he was in distress and trying to verbalize that — that should have stopped," the chief said after spelling out department policy on when to use force vs. calming a situation through de-escalation tactics.

"There's an initial reasonableness of trying to just get him under control in the first few seconds," the chief continued, "but once there was no longer any resistance, and clearly when Mr. Floyd was no longer responsive and even motionless, to continue to apply that level of force to a person proned out, handcuffed behind their back, that in no way shape or form is anything that is by policy. It's not part of our training and is certainly not part of our ethics or values."

Under cross examination by defense attorney Eric Nelson, Arradondo acknowledged that officers sometimes need to take control of a situation. "Would you agree that the use of force is not an attractive notion?" Nelson asked.

"I would say the use of force is something that most officers would rather not use," Arradondo said. The chief also agreed that department policy affords an officer flexibility under evolving circumstances for when to use force or choose to de-escalate an encounter with someone resisting arrest.

3. Inspector Katie Blackwell, the Fifth Precinct Inspector for the Minneapolis Police Department, who formerly headed up training for the department when Floyd was killed. Blackwell was shown a photo from the viral video of Chauvin on Floyd's neck and was asked whether that is a tactic the police are taught.

"I don't know what kind of improvised position this is," said Blackwell, who has known Chauvin for about 20 years, when they were both community service officers.

She also walked through records showing the various training that Chauvin received in 2016 and 2018, which included when a suspected is detained facedown and handcuffed. As heard multiple times in previous testimony during the prosecution's case, the person should be put "in the side recovery position or an upright position … as soon as possible," or run the risk of asphyxiation."

What to expect next: Court resumes Tuesday at 8:30 a.m., when one or more legal issues will be discussed before the jurors are called back in soon afterward for the resumption of witness testimony and presentation of evidence.

During that time, Morries Hall, who was with Floyd on the night of his arrest, will appear remotely from the Hennepin County jail concerning his intention to invoke his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination if compelled to testify. Hall was in the SUV with Floyd outside Cup Foods when police approached to investigate Floyd passing a fake $20 bill. The judge on Monday signed an order allowing Hall to wear civilian clothes instead of jail scrubs for the court appearance. Hall is in custody on an unrelated matter.
This synopsis left our an important fact. Defense got the police chief to admit that when viewed from a different angle, Chauvin has his knee on Floyd’s shoulder. This, coupled with ME testimony, will be used to create doubt about the cause of death. Anticipate the defense using the favorable video in closing.

I would expect to see this issue arise later in the trial, particularly in defense witness review of the video footage. This is not a prediction of how the jury will vote but a preview of how the defense is using witnesses now to plant seeds for its case.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 12:28 AM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
This synopsis left our an important fact. Defense got the police chief to admit that when viewed from a different angle, Chauvin has his knee on Floyd’s shoulder. This, coupled with ME testimony, will be used to create doubt about the cause of death. Anticipate the defense using the favorable video in closing.

I would expect to see this issue arise later in the trial, particularly in defense witness review of the video footage. This is not a prediction of how the jury will vote but a preview of how the defense is using witnesses now to plant seeds for its case.
Lol the desperation of some folks around here is utterly pathetic!!..yeah Floyd died because that devil had his knee on his "shoulder" smh get real :-)
[Reply]
ChiTown 06:03 AM 04-06-2021
So you have no proof of what you said??? WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED THAT A SILLY PRICK SPOUTING HOT AIR CANNOT PROVIDE THE EVIDENCE AFTER MAKING A STUPID, DANGEROUS ACCUSATION? SMH :-)
Bro? Are you ok?
[Reply]
BleedingRed 06:08 AM 04-06-2021
Lol the desperation of some folks around here is utterly pathetic!!..yeah Floyd died because that devil had his knee on his "shoulder" smh get real :-)
Poor diddu nuttin
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:09 AM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by frozenchief:

Criminal defense lawyer, one of the lawyers I am following on this case, Robert Barnes, said the prosecution plans tobring out multiple medical experts to hammer the cause of death to benefit their side, by reinforcing it over and over and over—to overwhelm using an appeal to authority. He said it works with jurors too. He said some courts don't allow that.

The evidence may not be on their side, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will win. He also thinks, as does Dershowitz, that this case is setting some dangerous and bad precedents with what they're doing.

I await your comment on this, if you can.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 147
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101 > Last »
Up