ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 147
< 12 34561252102 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>*****Official George Floyd/MPLS Police dep trial*****
displacedinMN 09:47 AM 01-12-2021
Under Special Request-Shortened to help out

What happened -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_George_Floyd

Results and riots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests

Trials-Latest

Spoiler!

Charges
Spoiler!

I will update things as I can-I have full RedStarTrib access.

Live tweets from Red Star http://live.startribune.com/Event/Li...rial_testimony

KARE 11 Live Stream with experts. https://www.kare11.com/watch?vid=5b7...b-8073ea5b7450
[Reply]
jd1020 12:20 PM 01-12-2021
I dont really care what the end result is and if it was racially motivated or not, I personally believe there was at least a little bit of that involved from Derek Chauvin, but Chauvin definitely deserves any punishment coming his way. I can't name any police departments off the top of my head that allow the use of any type of choke holds any more and if you look up the MN statutes MPD is prohibited from using them.

Yes George Floyd had drugs in his system. Yes George Floyd attempted to pay for something using counterfeit money. Yes George Floyd was acting erratically while in restraints. But Chauvin kneeled on a mans neck, a maneuver specifically prohibited by his department, for 8 minutes while he was restrained. Whether or not it was racially motivated and Floyd died, Chauvin would probably have been fired, especially since it was caught on film. So fuck him.
[Reply]
ChiTown 12:22 PM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
Yes. I am saying I’ve never seen video proof of an officer using this choking tactic to subdue a white victim for over 8 minutes while the victim laid motionless for several minutes as well. Are you saying that such a video exists?
Yes - I've seen other videos and I've watched, in person, while a cop held down a perp with a knee to the back and the neck when I use to live in Chicago. It was a Hispanic cop holding down a white dude who was vomiting while this shit was going on. No idea what happened to the young man. That happened in the 90's before cell phones became a way a way of fake telling a story.

By the way, I am TOTALLY opposed to law enforcement utilizing that tactic to subdue a perp. In addition, I've discussed this, in great detail, with my retired Police Officer Brother. He's utilized that tactic on people of all colors. He also agrees that it's a shitty tactic. It's just a not a racist tactic like you are pointing it out to be.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 12:28 PM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
His hand in his pocket and complete disregard for human life screams racism. The fact that a white officer was able to murder a black man in broad daylight while being filmed is highlighting the systemic oppression that’s been going on in this country for years. People like you trying to justify the officer cutting off his air supply with his knee because he said he couldn’t breathe extremely highlights the complete lack of intelligence in your overall thought process here.

I’ve definitely watched the entirety of the video. Very hard to sit through. Are you trying to tell me you watched all 8 minutes and 46 seconds of him holding his knee on his neck and this is your takeaway from the full video? If so I would definitely seek some counseling before you hurt yourself or someone else you love with that sociopathic mind of yours.

If you honestly think race had nothing to do with this then show me a similar video of this happening to a white man.

I’ll wait...
ackshually, Chauvin didn't cut off Floyd's air flow. Chauvin may have cut off his blood flow. we don't know. Floyd probably died from suppressed breathing due to excited delirium brought on my a fentanyl overdose.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:28 PM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I dont really care what the end result is and if it was racially motivated or not, I personally believe there was at least a little bit of that involved from Derek Chauvin, but Chauvin definitely deserves any punishment coming his way. I can't name any police departments off the top of my head that allow the use of any type of choke holds any more and if you look up the MN statutes MPD is prohibited from using them.

Yes George Floyd had drugs in his system. Yes George Floyd attempted to pay for something using counterfeit money. Yes George Floyd was acting erratically while in restraints. But Chauvin kneeled on a mans neck, a maneuver specifically prohibited by his department, for 8 minutes while he was restrained. Whether or not it was racially motivated and Floyd died, Chauvin would probably have been fired, especially since it was caught on film. So fuck him.
Tell that to the 25+ that died, countless others injured, and the many businesses that were affected because of the automatic assumption that this was racially driven...
[Reply]
jd1020 12:45 PM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Tell that to the 25+ that died, countless others injured, and the many businesses that were affected because of the automatic assumption that this was racially driven...
We are talking about the trial of the officer. Not the riots. Try and pay attention.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:56 PM 01-12-2021
We are talking about the trial of the officer. Not the riots. Try and pay attention.
We? No, WE were talking about whether or not it was an example of racism, and you came in and said you don’t care whether it was.
[Reply]
jd1020 01:01 PM 01-12-2021
We? No, WE were talking about whether or not it was an example of racism, and you came in and said you don’t care whether it was.
Did I respond to you? Did I quote you? No I didn't so shut the fuck up.

You quoted me. My comment is based on the actual topic of the thread
[Reply]
staylor26 01:02 PM 01-12-2021
Did I respond to you? Did I quote you? No I didn't so shut the fuck up.

You quoted me. My comment is based on the actual topic of the thread
Then why did you lead with not caring whether it was racism? You said it yourself that racism wasn’t the topic of the thread!

:-) :-)
[Reply]
jd1020 01:11 PM 01-12-2021
Then why did you lead with not caring whether it was racism? You said it yourself that racism wasn’t the topic of the thread!

:-) :-)
Because I don't care?

Whether he's found of a hate crime and murder or hes found not guilty for the cause of death i don't care. Bottom line, he's a piece of shit officer that used a barred tactic on a restrained man and at the very least needs to find a different career.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:43 PM 01-13-2021
Former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin, who is charged in George Floyd's death, and his wife failed to follow a court order and file public documents in their divorce proceeding, a judge ruled.

Washington County District Judge Juanita Freeman issued a decision Monday ordering Derek and Kellie Chauvin to file redacted public versions of confidential documents they filed under seal in December.

The Chauvins' divorce has come under scrutiny after Freeman cited possible fraud in her decision last October rejecting the couple's proposed divorce settlement that would have given most of Derek Chauvin's assets to his wife.

"The Court has a duty to ensure that marriage dissolution agreements are fair and equitable," Freeman wrote last October. "One badge of fraud is a party's transfer of 'substantially all' of his or her assets."

Several veteran divorce attorneys have said Freeman's October ruling fueled speculation that Kellie Chauvin filed for divorce to protect the couple's assets in the face of civil litigation.

Attorneys for Floyd's family filed a federal lawsuit last year — after Kellie Chauvin filed for divorce — against the city of Minneapolis, Chauvin and three of his former colleagues who assisted in Floyd's May 25 arrest: J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao.

Kellie Chauvin's divorce attorney, Amanda Mason-Sekula, did not return a message seeking comment. Derek Chauvin has no attorney in the case and could not be reached for comment.

Freeman's ruling this week does not vacate parameters she set last year that permits the Chauvins' assets, debts and property, among other information, to remain confidential and to be redacted from public documents due to harassment, financial fraud and stalking they faced after Floyd's death.

After Freeman refused to accept their first offer, the Chauvins filed two documents on Dec. 1 and a third on Dec. 2, respectively: a "Stipulation and Proposed Order," "Correspondence for Judicial Approval" and "Proposed Order or Document."

The documents were filed as confidential and are sealed. They are not publicly available.

The couple's first offering was similarly labeled, and was eventually filed as a public document so heavily redacted that its terms were impossible to discern.

However, Freeman wrote in October that under the first agreement, Kellie Chauvin would have received all of the equity in their two homes, all the money in their bank and investment accounts and money from Derek Chauvin's accounts except for funds he earned in two accounts before their marriage in 2010.

The couple has no children.

Freeman ordered this week that the Chauvins refile the December documents as public documents with all confidential information redacted.

The Chauvins' December stipulation filing included a three-page spreadsheet that was difficult to read because of pixelation and faint text, the judge wrote. Freeman ordered them to refile a legible copy of the spreadsheet as a sealed document.

A pretrial hearing in the case is scheduled for March 26, with a trial date of April 26. Both are open to the public.

Derek and Kellie Chauvin are also scheduled to appear in Washington County District Court Friday on felony charges alleging that they failed to claim $464,433 in joint income dating back to 2014.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:33 PM 01-15-2021
The tax evasion trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin and his estranged wife has been pushed to June 30, by which time his trial on murder and manslaughter charges in the death of George Floyd is expected to be over.

Chauvin and his estranged wife, Kellie Chauvin, appeared remotely Friday in separate and very brief hearings before Washington County District Judge Sheridan Hawley.

The case was set for June at the request of Derek Chauvin's lawyer Eric Nelson, who also represents him in the Floyd case.

The former Minneapolis officer, who is out on bail, faces murder and manslaughter charges in the May 25 killing of George Floyd. That trial is set to begin March 8.

Chauvin, the officer who was captured on video kneeling on Floyd's neck, faces the most serious charges of the four officers who were at the scene that evening. Those three officers will be tried together starting Aug. 23, on charges of aiding and abetting both second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The Chauvins, who had been living in Oakdale, face nine felony tax evasion charges alleging that they underreported $464,433 in joint income from 2014 to 2019. With interest, late fees and fraud penalties, the complaint alleges they owe $37,868.

The complaint also alleges that $96,000 of Derek Chauvin's unreported income came from off-duty security jobs.

The hearings Friday for the couple, who are co-defendants in the case, lasted no more than a couple minutes each. Neither allowed camera access to their appearances or said anything other than, "Yes, your honor."

The tax evasion charges were filed in July, but Washington County Attorney Pete Orput has said the investigation was in the works before Chauvin became globally infamous for his role in Floyd's death.

Orput said the Minnesota Department of Revenue contacted his office about the tax issues in June, but that they had been sending Chauvin letters since 2019 with no response.

Among other things, prosecutors say the Chauvins bought a new BMW X5 in January 2018 for $100,230 from a Minnetonka dealership and registered the SUV in Florida, where they own a condo.

They paid $4,664 in Florida state taxes on the vehicle even though, according to prosecutors, the BMW was serviced 11 times in Minnetonka and never in Florida. Had they registered the car in Minnesota, the taxes would have been $5,053.

Kellie Chauvin filed for divorce shortly after her husband was charged in Floyd's death. The divorce is still pending in Washington County, where Judge Juanita Freeman recently raised concerns about fraud and ordered the two to file public documents.

Rochelle Olson • 612-673-1747
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:34 PM 01-19-2021
Citing "an extremely serious threat to public health," prosecutors in the case of four fired Minneapolis police officers charged in the death of George Floyd have asked the judge to reconsider his decision to try Derek Chauvin in March and the other three officers five months later.

The motion filed Tuesday afternoon comes less than a week after Judge Peter Cahill's order splitting the trial into two. As of now, Chauvin will be tried in Hennepin County District Court starting March 8; J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao will be tried together starting Aug. 23.

The judge wrote then that COVID-19, social distancing protocol and uncertainty about the vaccine rollout prevented the four defendants from being tried in one trial.

In Tuesday's motion, Assistant Attorney General Matthew Frank cited the arrival of a new, more infectious strain of COVID-19 to Minnesota, and asks that the four be tried jointly this summer, when vaccines are more widely available.

"Although the State continues to stand ready to try this case on March 8, the State believes that the timing of this trial is enormously consequential for public health," the motion reads. "The difference between following the Court's current schedule — one trial in March, and one in August — and holding a single joint trial in the summer of 2021 may well be a matter of life and death for some Minnesotans."

The motion includes an affidavit by epidemiologist Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. Osterholm wrote that he anticipates the COVID-19 vaccine to be available to the general population by late spring.

He anticipates there being 5,000 to 8,000 new cases in Minnesota per day of the new coronavirus strain by March, and warned that Chauvin's trial, if held then, could become a superspreader event.

"It could be extremely dangerous to hold a trial for Mr. Chauvin in March 2021. Doing so could have potentially catastrophic consequences for public health," Osterholm wrote. "This is so not simply because of the [relatively small] number of people who would be inside the courtroom, but also because of the large numbers of people likely to be convened outside the courthouse, including demonstrators."

Two trials rather than one in connection with Floyd's death on May 25, he added, would only exacerbate that risk.

Cahill's decision to try Chauvin separately came after the four defense attorneys consulted with Hennepin County Chief Judge Toddrick Barnette and expressed their intentions to each have a second attorney or a legal aide at their table during trial.

Barnette e-mailed Cahill last Friday urging him to split up the trial because of COVID concerns, noting that the courtroom could accommodate three defendants at most.

Attorney General Keith Ellison, whose office is leading the prosecution with assistance from the Hennepin County Attorney's Office, maintained that all four defendants should be tried together to avoid retraumatizing witnesses and family members, and to limit prejudicing potential jurors between trials.

His office previously requested one trial, and filed a motion last month asking Cahill to delay proceedings until June 7, when more people would be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Chauvin's attorney, Eric Nelson, and Thao's attorneys, Robert and Natalie Paule, also filed separate motions last month asking to delay the trial to an unspecified date and to July 5, respectively, in order to deal with copious evidence.

Star Tribune staff writer Chao Xiong contributed to this report.
[Reply]
philfree 05:54 PM 01-19-2021
So we're looking at some commie type of move to take Chauvin's property? I mean Chauvin seems like a piece of shit but so was George Floyd. I don't know the law there but why would the divorce be needed for her to keep joint assets?
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:21 PM 01-19-2021
In 50 years there will be some riot(s), and Conservtives will own the Libs by sayng “That isnt what George Floyd would’ve wanted!”
[Reply]
Pogue 06:30 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
In 50 years there will be some riot(s), and Conservtives will own the Libs by sayng “That isnt what George Floyd would’ve wanted!”
In 50 years it’ll just be a uniparty. No “conservatives” anymore, we’ll all be goose stepping to whatever beat the government drums up or you are sent off to labor camp.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 147
< 12 34561252102 > Last »
Up