ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 442 of 3903
« First < 342392432438439440441442 4434444454464524925429421442 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
eDave 09:25 PM 03-18-2020

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:27 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
I imagine (hope) we see a lot of manufacturing jobs coming home, it will take some time getting things up and running.
Fuck China.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:28 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Not a hospital but I work in a skilled nursing rehab facility. 60-70 patients at a time with most of those beds being patients who rehab for about 2 weeks before returning home.

We are running out of all Personal Protective Equipment and the orders aren't being filled. We had our transportation drivers going to Walmart, CVS, Target, etc.....looking to buy sanitizer, bleach and hydrogen peroxide today. We are almost to the point of needing to make our own disinfectant. We are down to 50 masks total. It is very scary not to have supplies to protect yourself or your staff.
Our hospital is hoarding PPE and test kits we don’t have an active case yet and we already know we will run out., and we don’t have face shields needed for droplet isolation, my wife hasn’t received her supplies she ordered months ago, she came home and stole the kids nerf eye protection.
The whole world got caught with there pants down.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:30 PM 03-18-2020
I saw that this morning. Friggen hilarious.

Originally Posted by eDave:

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:32 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Not a hospital but I work in a skilled nursing rehab facility. 60-70 patients at a time with most of those beds being patients who rehab for about 2 weeks before returning home.

We are running out of all Personal Protective Equipment and the orders aren't being filled. We had our transportation drivers going to Walmart, CVS, Target, etc.....looking to buy sanitizer, bleach and hydrogen peroxide today. We are almost to the point of needing to make our own disinfectant. We are down to 50 masks total. It is very scary not to have supplies to protect yourself or your staff.
thats ****ed up. I thought when the President signed the defense production act that the military and government would ramp up production of medical supplies. Now he’s tweeting that he only signed it “just in case” it’s needed. Your experience is not unique. It’s needed.

Some good news on the hand santizer shortage is that local breweries are converting their production to making hand sanitizer and usually giving it away to hospitals and nursing homes that have shortages. I’m stopping my social distancing to take a car full to a nursing home from one of our local Breweries.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:39 PM 03-18-2020
Finally some good news

Originally Posted by :
China reports no new domestic cases: For the first time, the country where the coronavirus pandemic began has announced no new locally transmitted infections -- a pivotal moment in the battle to contain Covid-19.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:40 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
thats fucked up. I thought when the President signed the defense production act that the military and government would ramp up production of medical supplies. Now he’s tweeting that he only signed it “just in case” it’s needed. Your experience is not unique. It’s needed.

Some good news on the hand santizer shortage is that local breweries are converting their production to making hand sanitizer and usually giving it away to hospitals and nursing homes that have shortages.
Near as I can tell - THIS is the end-game for the attempts at virus suppression. I mean...it has to be. You can't hold this thing back forever no matter how hard you try and the longer you do, the less acquired immunity you'll have built up to slow the inevitable spikes in the winter months.

The 'stop the spread' idea is only temporary. Then with the warmer weather will come some easing on movement to allow for the 'flatten the curve' idea to go into full effect and attempts at herd immunity.

And in that 2-4 weeks where we try to put the clamps down, we'll be trying to ramp up our manufacturing base to try to be able to tread water.

Once you start to get a better handle on what the respective approaches entail, you can actually see how they may dovetail together. Frankly, I think the idea of 'cyclical contractions' is going to be just as bad as simply letting the thing take hold. You give people that kind of uncertainty and we'll continue with this national tension for a year or longer. That's not tenable.

But if you have a genuine plan in place where you squeeze tight at the beginning and then relax before allowing nature to take hold (and improved therapeutic treatments/additional supplies to reduce its impact) you're probably gonna see the best combination of outcomes.

But I think it requires a more clear articulation of intentions by national leadership. Give people a target and they'll chase it. Give them a seemingly interminable grind and they'll give up.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:41 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Finally some good news
China can report that but I don't believe it.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:43 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Near as I can tell - THIS is the end-game for the attempts at virus suppression. I mean...it has to be. You can't hold this thing back forever no matter how hard you try and the longer you do, the less acquired immunity you'll have built up to slow the inevitable spikes in the winter months.

The 'stop the spread' idea is only temporary. Then with the warmer weather will come some easing on movement to allow for the 'flatten the curve' idea to go into full effect and attempts at herd immunity.

And in that 2-4 weeks where we try to put the clamps down, we'll be trying to ramp up our manufacturing base to try to be able to tread water.

Once you start to get a better handle on what the respective approaches entail, you can actually see how they may dovetail together. Frankly, I think the idea of 'cyclical contractions' is going to be just as bad as simply letting the thing take hold. You give people that kind of uncertainty and we'll continue with this national tension for a year or longer. That's not tenable.

But if you have a genuine plan in place where you squeeze tight at the beginning and then relax before allowing nature to take hold (and improved therapeutic treatments/additional supplies to reduce its impact) you're probably gonna see the best combination of outcomes.

But I think it requires a more clear articulation of intentions by national leadership. Give people a target and they'll chase it. Give them a seemingly interminable grind and they'll give up.
If the anti-malarial drug study is true and repeatable out of France then this virus becomes a whole lot less scary.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 09:47 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
If the anti-malarial drug study is true and repeatable out of France then this virus becomes a whole lot less scary.

And why aren’t more people talking about it? I can hardly find any coverage on it...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:49 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Finally some good news
For the record - what happens in China over the coming days is MASSIVE.

If they open the taps and this thing explodes in 10 days it means 2 things:

1) They probably weren't sitting on this for as long as theorized and in fact, it did spread extremely quickly and with savage results.

2) That the 'virus suppression' approach is dead in the water.

But if it doesn't explode, that suggests pretty strongly that this thing actually spreads pretty damn slowly, they WERE sitting on it for months (whether they knew about it or not is not for the apolitical thread) and that they've probably acquired just enough herd immunity to prevent another epidemic. That would also likely suggest that the number of unreported cases is exceptionally high and the mortality rate lower than feared.

Oh...and then it could just mean that it's China doing China things and by throwing all foreign journalists out, they've put the clamps on reporting again.

In either event, how China rebounds over the coming weeks can tell us a ton.
[Reply]
notorious 09:51 PM 03-18-2020
Don't believe a fucking thing China tells us.

They lie. That's what they have always done.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:53 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Don't believe a fucking thing China tells us.

They won't be able to hide it if they have to shut down major cities again.

If they don't, that means something.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:55 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
China can report that but I don't believe it.
Nobody can believe anything China says. They are the worst.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:55 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Don't believe a ****ing thing China tells us.

didnt they hide that there was an issue for a month until it became so widespread that the western world noticed and then the finally came clean?
[Reply]
Page 442 of 3903
« First < 342392432438439440441442 4434444454464524925429421442 > Last »
Up