Page 171 of 934
« First < 71121161167168169170171 172173174175181221271671 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 10:05 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Meh. We boring investors are here too. It's just boring, so there's not near as much to talk about.
We get to put 6,000 into IRA's at the start of the year so I guess this was timed well at least? Straining for any upside :-)

It looks like we have a really good shot to finish as the 2nd worst December in history. 1930 was down 7.x%. We're currently down 12.x% so we'd need quite a recovery in the last few days. 1931 was down 14.x% so it's actually within reach.

Pulling out a single month is a bit arbitrary but I think it's sort of amazing we're on pace to finish sandwiched between two years of the great depression.
[Reply]
O.city 10:28 AM 12-23-2018
Hamas, I’m no expert on this by any means but I was in a similar spot with loans and such.

I would recommend paying as much as you can towards the debt repayment as you can. Don’t forget about retirement obviously, but getting out from under that will help alot
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 10:41 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Yeah, but man, there's a lot of mediocrity who are paid a lot of money and spend every single moment of every day trying to find opportunities in the market and cannot consistently do so. Are most prepared to invest their time and do the same? Probably not. And so, just being average is super acceptable.

I'm a portfolio manager at a hedge fund. I get it. There are 4 people in my world I know outside of myself that I would ever entrust money to, and I know thousands.
Well then :-)

How about a list of 5 stocks to invest in this January.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:58 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Well then :-)

How about a list of 5 stocks to invest in this January.
I don’t trade stocks - sorry. :-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:59 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Hamas, I’m no expert on this by any means but I was in a similar spot with loans and such.

I would recommend paying as much as you can towards the debt repayment as you can. Don’t forget about retirement obviously, but getting out from under that will help alot
Agreed.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:02 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Agreed.
Yeah, do what you need to do to get the company match, but beyond that, debt reduction is your main priority for the near term.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 11:26 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Agreed.
I hate debt; It feels like a huge weight youre under and stresses me a bit. From a strict numbers perspective it probably depends on the rates on your loans.

Either way, congrats. It's a lot of money to pay back but seems to have provided you with a great career.
[Reply]
O.city 11:29 AM 12-23-2018
Those fed loans are a real pain in the ass at 7.2 percent.

I went them a private bank and re did them once I had my office paid for and got the rate a lot lower.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:13 PM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:

Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, do what you need to do to get the company match, but beyond that, debt reduction is your main priority for the near term.
Congrats Hamas by the way.

And this is basically it. Don't pass up any free money so do the minimum contribution to get all the free money, so 5%.

After that, tackle debt. If you have any credit card debt, I'd start there. After that, work on the student loans and possibly refinancing them to a lower rate if you're able (not sure what you're paying).

I had $60k debt after my schooling so I only contributed 4-6% to my 401k (to get the entire free match) until I paid off my student loans last year. Now I do 12% to my 401k and it's barely noticeable out of my take-home with the loans now gone, even leaving money left over to contribute to a ROTH IRA each month.

Hopefully your employer offers cost effective index funds for your retirement plan. I am invested in only Index funds alone in my 401k (Large, small and foreign). Many companies finally offer low cost index funds, but there are still some hold-overs of employers who offer expensive and less than ideal retirement funds. Let us know your choices when you get that info.
[Reply]
Coach 12:31 PM 12-24-2018
Ugh. Definitely a Bear market.

I feel bad for the folks who are about to be retiring. Thank god my father retired just in time.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:59 PM 12-26-2018
I wish every day could be like today.

If we had 26 straight days like today, I could retire at my current quality of life. If we has 40 straight days like today, I'd live a life of leisure and semi-luxury. If we had a year of days like this, I'd buy the Chiefs and make fun of Bill Gates' cheap wardrobe.
Attached: Good Day on the Market.jpg (25.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Munson 04:04 PM 12-26-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
This.

I just checked my Roth IRA account, and it's the biggest single day increase I've ever had!

Makes me feel better after getting hosed the past couple weeks.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:05 PM 12-26-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

If we had 26 straight days like today, I could retire at my current quality of life. If we has 40 straight days like today, I'd live a life of leisure and semi-luxury. If we had a year of days like this, I'd buy the Chiefs and make fun of Bill Gates' cheap wardrobe.
Wouldn't that be great! and I could buy a bigger boat.
[Reply]
scho63 06:22 PM 12-26-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Congrats Hamas by the way.

And this is basically it. Don't pass up any free money so do the minimum contribution to get all the free money, so 5%.

After that, tackle debt. If you have any credit card debt, I'd start there. After that, work on the student loans and possibly refinancing them to a lower rate if you're able (not sure what you're paying).

I had $60k debt after my schooling so I only contributed 4-6% to my 401k (to get the entire free match) until I paid off my student loans last year. Now I do 12% to my 401k and it's barely noticeable out of my take-home with the loans now gone, even leaving money left over to contribute to a ROTH IRA each month.

Hopefully your employer offers cost effective index funds for your retirement plan. I am invested in only Index funds alone in my 401k (Large, small and foreign). Many companies finally offer low cost index funds, but there are still some hold-overs of employers who offer expensive and less than ideal retirement funds. Let us know your choices when you get that info.
You enjoy this and give pretty solid advice. Ever think of taking CPA classes and hanging up a shingle on the weekends as a CFP? :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 07:46 PM 12-26-2018
Originally Posted by scho63:
You enjoy this and give pretty solid advice. Ever think of taking CPA classes and hanging up a shingle on the weekends as a CFP? :-)
Hey not a bad thought!

For now if I want to make extra money, I'm doing the hourly therapy gig at a different building if they need help. Since it's PRN work, the pay is very good and I just tell them how many hours I can help on that day. Like tomorrow I'll go down the road to a different facility for about 90 minutes of work after my normal job. For me right now, time is money, so if I am going to do something outside of work, I want it to pay well.

But I do understand the thought of doing something totally unrelated for a second job and how that can be rewarding as well. You never know what the future may bring!
[Reply]
Page 171 of 934
« First < 71121161167168169170171 172173174175181221271671 > Last »
Up