ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Media Center>Shogun on FX
GloucesterChief 07:18 PM 11-06-2023

Looks pretty good.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:50 PM 04-23-2024
Holy shit, I hated that finale. God damn, the slowest most drawn out finale I've ever seen.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:51 PM 04-23-2024
Originally Posted by srvy:

WTH this was rushed horribly so disappointing. The woman writer obviously took the source material and pitched in in the burn barrel. She created a woke 1600s Japan
:-). Why they even bothered I don't know I guess they didn't count on the popularity of a masterpiece of a book.
Wtf was "woke" about this?

God damn you fucking retards that cry woke about everything have become unhinged. You must be really miserable people.
[Reply]
Fish 11:52 PM 04-23-2024
Definitely could have used a few more episodes to wrap things up.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:23 AM 04-24-2024
Loved this series and I thought the finale was very effective and fitting to its style throughout.

And while I know it was based on the book (which was also based on real history) and completed its story, I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to the creators trying to write something new with those same characters in some kind of second season.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:34 AM 04-24-2024
William Adams, the person Blackthrone is based on, did participate in the battles of Aizu and Sekigahara but after that much of his time was spent building ships and training sailors as well as establishing trade under the Tokugawa shogunate. He was the shogun's personal translator, both Iyeasu and his successor. He did marry a Japanese woman but she was not of samurai class. He did leave Japan on trade expeditions but never returned to Europe.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 10:35 AM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
William Adams, the person Blackthrone is based on, did participate in the battles of Aizu and Sekigahara but after that much of his time was spent building ships and training sailors as well as establishing trade under the Tokugawa shogunate. He was the shogun's personal translator, both Iyeasu and his successor. He did marry a Japanese woman but she was not of samurai class. He did leave Japan on trade expeditions but never returned to Europe.
I was reading about Tokugawa Ieyasu last night and it seems to me there's enough that he did after the battle of Sekigahara for more of this (that they could base on history) if they really wanted to do it.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:33 PM 04-24-2024
Such an unexpected ending, but it lived up to the hype anyway

A slow burn finale that actually pays off emotionally, Anjins cannons were not a a factor as I had anticipated... but no big bang boom warzone Walking Dead finale extravaganza was needed at all

That ending was perfection, everyone knows what comes next and Blackthorne clearly lived through it... it stands alone as a 10 part masterpiece
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:11 PM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Such an unexpected ending, but it lived up to the hype anyway

A slow burn finale that actually pays off emotionally, Anjins cannons were not a a factor as I had anticipated... but no big bang boom warzone Walking Dead finale extravaganza was needed at all

That ending was perfection, everyone knows what comes next and Blackthorne clearly lived through it... it stands alone as a 10 part masterpiece
It just seemed extremely rushed. They could easily have added 2 more episodes and actually had some build up to a final battle where the heirs forces don't show up
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:30 PM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
It just seemed extremely rushed. They could easily have added 2 more episodes and actually had some build up to a final battle where the heirs forces don't show up
The book actually ends just like that. Except that Toranaga is not talking to Yabushige but it is his internal thoughts. Then it summarizes the battle of Sekigahara.

Also, Yabushige is supposed to give his swords to Blackthorne.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:34 PM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Sure they could've drawn it out, but as a stand alone piece of art this was a 10 of 10

I wanted a big spectacle with Anijins cannons blasting away for the win, but the way they played it was sooo much better than the typical boom pow finale
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:39 PM 04-24-2024
A battle wouldn’t have fit this show, nor was it needed because his machinations won him the battle before it was even fought. They also certainly didn’t have the money to do something like that anyway.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 09:27 PM 04-24-2024
also, the battle of Sekigahara has been done many times on film. one more iteration of that battle probably would not stand out. and it would have cost a lot of money. I'm glad they budgeted the way they did, using the money to nail costumery, wardrobe, set pieces, and period accurate buildings.

if you want to see samurai armies square off with gunpowder there are plenty of options. my favorites are Ran, Kagemusha, and Ten To Chi To (Heaven and Earth)

here is a short film of the Battle at Sekigahara. the title cards will tell you who is fighting who, when and where.

[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 10:24 PM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
The book actually ends just like that. Except that Toranaga is not talking to Yabushige but it is his internal thoughts. Then it summarizes the battle of Sekigahara.

Also, Yabushige is supposed to give his swords to Blackthorne.
If I remember correctly Yubo almost makes it to the third cut of sepaku.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:14 PM 04-25-2024
Man, that was really good.

I've stayed out because I'm behind, but holy crap. I could watch more of that. Really good stuff.

Execute a good story and I'm in.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:27 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
A battle wouldn’t have fit this show, nor was it needed because his machinations won him the battle before it was even fought. They also certainly didn’t have the money to do something like that anyway.
but, now this was a big hit, maybe some studio or producer will find a new script and battles for the next chapter. The book source is exhausted but history details what happened to get a new shogun and the 100’s of years of peace that followed.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up