ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Taking an Offensive Player in Round 1
kccrow 03:52 PM 01-08-2019
What would be your thoughts if the Chiefs passed on taking a defensive player in round 1?

What would be your prerequisite offseason prior to the draft to make this okay with you? Is it sign a DB? Etc.

I've been toying with the idea a bit. My thoughts were sign a CB in FA then use the 1st round pick to get an OG like Lidstrom or a WR like Campbell.

I've also had the idea bouncing in my head about the what if scenario of a good TE falling to KC in round 2, such as San Jose State's Josh Oliver. Feel free to comment on that as well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:45 AM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Obviously not. I'm not saying throw out the measurables as they normally are about the best way to see if a guy can play or not.

But look at how that's worked out for the chiefs in regards to some picks like tanoh. Sure, whichever way you go you're going to miss some.

But you just aren't likely to get blue chippers later in the first round. I'd either start taking guys that you could get in the 2nd because of maybe off field stuff whose measurables are nuts or taking good football players who maybe ran a slower 40 etc.
Alternatively you could look at a position that is a little undervalued right now. I'm not sure I'd be willing to do that at runningback but some position will end up a little undervalued in this draft, be it guard or safety or DE or TE. A good player with good measurables will slide because his position just isn't as coveted and that's how you get someone like Bobby Wagner.

Meanwhile, there's a good chance that the position that nobody's too worried about filling right now becomes en vogue again in a couple of years. It's just the cyclical nature of the game (and a nice place to find yourself when the one position that EVERYONE is worried about is presently occupied by the best in the world...)

So my answer to the OP is obvious - there are a lot of scenarios I can envision where I'd be fine with an offensive player in the draft. It wouldn't present the ideal scenario, but it may be the best option we have available to us. If Trayvon Mullen and/or Byron Murphy are sitting there for us at CB, I think I'd have to go that route but it may be that AJ Brown or Irv Smith or Greg Little are the best guys on our board at the time and if so, that may just be the direction we need to go.
[Reply]
O.city 11:01 AM 01-09-2019
I'm just hopeful one of the top ILB has a weed problem or something.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:06 AM 01-09-2019
Mack Wilson and Devin White, I guess? Not sure there are any other real 1st round caliber prospects in this draft at ILB. Mack Wilson may not even need to 'drop' - he could just not quite get himself up that high.
[Reply]
O.city 11:11 AM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Mack Wilson and Devin White, I guess? Not sure there are any other real 1st round caliber prospects in this draft at ILB. Mack Wilson may not even need to 'drop' - he could just not quite get himself up that high.
The dude from LSU who’s name escapes me
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:23 AM 01-09-2019
The dude from LSU who’s name escapes me
Yeah, that's Devin White. And he's unquestionably the gold standard of ILBs in this class. KCCrow has been on him for awhile now and, IIRC, was willing to trade essentially our 1st and both 2nds to move up and get him.

I'd really like to see if Germaine Pratt slid to us in the 2nd but he may just be a slightly more polished DoD. The measureables on him are likely to be outstanding but I'm not sure he can play early down roles. And honestly, if he measures like I'd like him to, he won't be there in the late 2nd anyway.
[Reply]
O.city 11:26 AM 01-09-2019
Yeah, that's Devin White. And he's unquestionably the gold standard of ILBs in this class. KCCrow has been on him for awhile now and, IIRC, was willing to trade essentially our 1st and both 2nds to move up and get him.

I'd really like to see if Germaine Pratt slid to us in the 2nd but he may just be a slightly more polished DoD. The measureables on him are likely to be outstanding but I'm not sure he can play early down roles. And honestly, if he measures like I'd like him to, he won't be there in the late 2nd anyway.
After watching the Chargers do it with all safeties, I'd be fine. I think DOD needs to figure out to be more DJ and just outquick OL. That's what I'd look for. I don't want to you take on and shed blockers if you don't have to. Just run around them or beat them to the spot.

I don't see the White kid falling to us, but if he did I'd imagine they'd run up there and take him.
[Reply]
Chargem 03:42 PM 01-09-2019
PFF's latest mock draft has us taking Kristian Fulton (CB, LSU) in the first, they say he may be getting as much hype as Greedy if he didn't get caught cheating on a drug test.

That's the kind of guy I want to fall out of the first round, get taken by the Chiefs and then get his shit together and play like a 1st round talent.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 05:26 PM 01-09-2019
I'll take OLine. I don't want our QB to be touched for the next 15-20 years. Eleven guys off the street can put up the same defensive #'s as the team we have now.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:42 PM 01-09-2019
If Dexter Lawrence falls because of Osterine, do you consider it?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:48 PM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by Chargem:
PFF's latest mock draft has us taking Kristian Fulton (CB, LSU) in the first, they say he may be getting as much hype as Greedy if he didn't get caught cheating on a drug test.

That's the kind of guy I want to fall out of the first round, get taken by the Chiefs and then get his shit together and play like a 1st round talent.
NOOOOOOOOOO!

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...2&postcount=15

I was on Fulton in November and really hoping he'd stay under the radar. Was of the mind we could snap him up at the back of the 2nd. I like that guy a lot. Sadly, these front offices have just gotten so thorough.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:26 AM 01-10-2019
NOOOOOOOOOO!

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...2&postcount=15

I was on Fulton in November and really hoping he'd stay under the radar. Was of the mind we could snap him up at the back of the 2nd. I like that guy a lot. Sadly, these front offices have just gotten so thorough.
It's only PFF, no one agrees with their rankings so he is probably still a 2nd round guy.
[Reply]
Chargem 01:29 AM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
If Dexter Lawrence falls because of Osterine, do you consider it?
Only if you think he can pressure well enough to play DT in a 3 man front with Nnadi and Jones. I just don't think you can draft him to play nose when you already have so many holes on D, you can't spend a 1st round pick on a "non hole" of NT.
[Reply]
kcclone 03:56 PM 01-10-2019
We need to find out if we're replacing Sutton before we can really answer the question. Does this front office have the guys in place that can identify defensive players?

If not, we're better of doing what we do well, which may be to draft talented offensive guys. Use FA to get 2-3 key defensive pieces and hope to find a diamond or two in the later rounds defensively.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 10:46 PM 01-10-2019
If there's a day 1 offensive starter in the 1st. get him, then 2-7 need to be defense.

We really need another top flight TE. If Kelce goes down it changes everything.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 04:12 AM 01-11-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
If there's a day 1 offensive starter in the 1st. get him, then 2-7 need to be defense.

We really need another top flight TE. If Kelce goes down it changes everything.
The only position the Chiefs need on offense would be RB...and there's not a RB worth drafting w/ their first pick available in this draft, not w/ the amount of holes on D.

IMO, the good thing is that the Chiefs need D help eveywhere, so they can draft BDPA essentially w/ their first 3picks and it'd help KC immediately. But I'd preferably want the Chiefs to draft secondary first. People can trash Peters all they want to, but fact is, the secondary probably would have been better with him on the squad. At bare minimum the Chiefs would have gotten a handful of big crucial plays out of him. Team needs to move on from Eric Berry.

1.DB

2.Front 7 (wouldn't be opposed to another DB)

2.Front 7
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up