ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 09:54 PM 11-01-2021
I honestly don't know if Pat gets things "fixed" this season. It seems like he just needs a complete mental reset in the offseason.
[Reply]
TEX 09:56 PM 11-01-2021
It's time. This season is a wash.
[Reply]
TEX 09:57 PM 11-01-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Kinda.

He's not seeing the field at all and add to that he's inaccurate as hell right now. He's thrown more dirt balls the last 4 games than he did in any full year before this.
Yep.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:58 PM 11-01-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Absolutely brutal. Walk in TD right in front of him.
Who knew the LB could charge straight at the QB like that? Ben Niemann and Anthony Hitchens have taught be the best play is to hang out in no-man's land.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 09:59 PM 11-01-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Absolutely brutal. Walk in TD right in front of him.
It's sad to watch. He's seeing ghosts out there. I hope he can regain his form but he looks like he's lost confidence. He's afraid to pull the trigger sometimes and when he does his throws aren't as accurate.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:00 PM 11-01-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Mahomes is bad right now but the scheme is equally terrible.

No one ever seems to be open and there doesn't appear to be any urgency or ability to scheme up ways to get guys open.

Big fat fail this year from Andy and EB.
They are moving the ball. They are just turning it over far too often at the worst times. Can't scheme poor decisions and not holding on to the ball.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 10:00 PM 11-01-2021
I feel like Pat is watching the pass rush, where a lot of his missing magic is related to keeping his eyes downfield and reading the defense
[Reply]
-King- 10:05 PM 11-01-2021
As hard as I am on Hardman and the other WRs, Mahomes is compounding their weaknesses by doing that. As a WR, how do you run a real route knowing the play becomes a scramble drill a second after it starts.
[Reply]
RollChiefsRoll 10:08 PM 11-01-2021
Even though the past few games have been the worst stretch of Patrick’s brilliant young career, we’re still a .500 team with an opportunity to turn shit around. We’ve seen what worst-stretch-of-career-play gets the Chiefs when anybody else is the signal caller. So thankful that we’ve got a QB like #15–who’s so goddamn good a little rough patch like this has us hitting the panic button. Dude’s gonna get it figured out, I have no doubt.

I’m ride or die for this fucking QB till he hangs up the cleats.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:11 PM 11-01-2021
Originally Posted by wachashi:
The Super Bowl may have broken Pat. I hope it’s temporary. Jesus, he gets spooked so easily now.
This isn't true. The WFT, PHI and CLE games prove it.

Patrick is working out the kinks. He was better tonight.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:47 PM 11-01-2021
The one bright point: as bad as the Chiefs have played through the first 8 games, they are the only .500 team of the teams with 13+ turn-overs this season. And all of those teams are 3+ losses below .500.

But this is a bad team. Patrick might've credited the defense with winning that game, but against one of the worst (if not the worst) OLs in the NFL they only managed to sack Jones 3 times and had only a single TFL. There were other flashes and bright spots, but not nearly enough of them. The fact is that most of the game Jones had a pretty clean pocket. Clean enough that he managed to throw TWO TOUCHDOWNS on us.

The turn-overs are the worst though. 19 T/Os in the first 8 games. That has to be some kind of record. Nobody can seem to hang onto the gaddang ball. And Patrick is the worst of them. Responsible for 11 of them. 11. Jesus wept. Do you guys realize that Daniel "I can't feel pressure" Jones finished that game with a higher PASSER RATING than Mahomes? And not by just a couple points, but like 22 points. Patrick looks hesitant, he bails out of the right side of the pocket way too much, and now he can't aim.

But somehow we're still a .500 team.

I'll be honest, I don't think this team makes the playoffs. It looks a lot like a 7-10 season at this point. There's just too much to fix with the OL and the DL. And the secondary. And the ball security thing. And the drops.

But I won't be shocked if they do turn it around somehow either. Mahomes and the Chiefs could pull a miracle out of their asses and rattle off 12 straight wins. It's not like we haven't seen them do similar fantastical things before.

But I'm not holding my breath.
[Reply]
TEX 05:49 AM 11-02-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
The one bright point: as bad as the Chiefs have played through the first 8 games, they are the only .500 team of the teams with 13+ turn-overs this season. And all of those teams are 3+ losses below .500.

But this is a bad team. Patrick might've credited the defense with winning that game, but against one of the worst (if not the worst) OLs in the NFL they only managed to sack Jones 3 times and had only a single TFL. There were other flashes and bright spots, but not nearly enough of them. The fact is that most of the game Jones had a pretty clean pocket. Clean enough that he managed to throw TWO TOUCHDOWNS on us.

The turn-overs are the worst though. 19 T/Os in the first 8 games. That has to be some kind of record. Nobody can seem to hang onto the gaddang ball. And Patrick is the worst of them. Responsible for 11 of them. 11. Jesus wept. Do you guys realize that Daniel "I can't feel pressure" Jones finished that game with a higher PASSER RATING than Mahomes? And not by just a couple points, but like 22 points. Patrick looks hesitant, he bails out of the right side of the pocket way too much, and now he can't aim.

But somehow we're still a .500 team.

I'll be honest, I don't think this team makes the playoffs. It looks a lot like a 7-10 season at this point. There's just too much to fix with the OL and the DL. And the secondary. And the ball security thing. And the drops.

But I won't be shocked if they do turn it around somehow either. Mahomes and the Chiefs could pull a miracle out of their asses and rattle off 12 straight wins. It's not like we haven't seen them do similar fantastical things before.

But I'm not holding my breath.
Won't happen. IMO, they'll soon be 4-7 and the struggle will be to finish above .500. They'll miss the playoffs this year. The Ravens and Charger games were killer losses, and they're gonna pay for them during the next stretch of the season.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:48 AM 11-02-2021
I really hope Patrick is okay, he doesn't look like what we are used to. I wonder if he has some nagging injury that's bothering him. He took a lot of hits at the end of last year and at some point in everyone's life, you realize that you are mortal and can be injured. A lot has changed in these past four years of his life and given that we all only have 100% to give, what part is football currently at? We don't even really know the man, what would the pressure and responsibility of $500,000,000 do to anyone? HE IS HUMAN AFTER ALL.
[Reply]
ChiefRocka 07:13 AM 11-02-2021
Anyone else catch the limping when he ran outside last night. My guess his toe is still jacked and its affecting his front foot on throws and the velocity on his passes is down, hence more defections and off throws. We wont know full extent intil after the season but its obvious right now
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:24 AM 11-02-2021
No reason to panic. Mahomes and Andy have zero idea of what to do and now we know it. Teams cover up on Travis and Hill and can easily handle the other losers we have at WR. How many times did they show that last night.

Nobody is open.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up