ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 27
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Hammock Parties 05:36 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Why are the Harkonnens such assholes
the only time baron vladimir harkonnen got pussy in recent memory was when he had to rape that old bag that made paul put his hand in the box (i'm not going to tell you the result of this rape because it's a huge spoiler)

this act gave him a disease resulting in his appearance in the film

he's also an impotent gay pedophile who's own nephew tried to kill him

pretty sure you'd be an asshole too
[Reply]
BWillie 09:42 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
the only time baron vladimir harkonnen got pussy in recent memory was when he had to rape that old bag that made paul put his hand in the box (i'm not going to tell you the result of this rape because it's a huge spoiler)

this act gave him a disease resulting in his appearance in the film

he's also an impotent gay pedophile who's own nephew tried to kill him

pretty sure you'd be an asshole too
ahhh so he ran out of boners
[Reply]
Frazod 05:00 PM 10-25-2021
For anybody who is confused by something they saw in the movie, I have a suggestion.

READ THE BOOK.

Dune is widely regarded as one of the best science novels ever written. If you like science fiction and haven't read it, you're doing yourself a disservice.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:58 PM 10-25-2021
Nothing set in stone yet, but it's looking really, really good for part 2. From what I've read on various sites, they went into the weekend with box office expectations hovering around 30 million, and got 35, and then another 1.9 million families/households watched the on HBO Max. Really, really positive numbers...
[Reply]
unlurking 06:21 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Nothing set in stone yet, but it's looking really, really good for part 2. From what I've read on various sites, they went into the weekend with box office expectations hovering around 30 million, and got 35, and then another 1.9 million families/households watched the on HBO Max. Really, really positive numbers...
$41m opening weekend...
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Apparently that 1.9m Max viewers was also their highest day/date release too...
https://variety.com/vip/data-dune-op...ts-1235096964/
[Reply]
BWillie 09:20 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Still don't get HBO Max, man. I love it but movie execs, actors and actresses have got to hate it. I would have shelled out $60 bucks this weekend to watch Dune in theaters. Instead my GF and a couple friends all watched it. They lost out on $120 bucks from my household alone.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:58 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
For anybody who is confused by something they saw in the movie, I have a suggestion.

READ THE BOOK.

Dune is widely regarded as one of the best science novels ever written. If you like science fiction and haven't read it, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Even less effort. . .

[Reply]
Graystoke 09:22 AM 10-26-2021

READ THE BOOK.

This!
In my opinion it would be very difficult to go into this movie without the background knowledge from reading the novel.
That of course is a double edged sword because those of us who have read the novels are wondering why the F did they leave X, Y and Z out.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:51 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
This!
In my opinion it would be very difficult to go into this movie without the background knowledge from reading the novel.
That of course is a double edged sword because those of us who have read the novels are wondering why the F did they leave X, Y and Z out.
There is a reason this has long been notorious as among the most difficult of novels to film.

The prose is so detailed and flows so smoothly, that it really creates a world. But you can't put an entire world, a universe actually, on film.

Films are for narratives and visuals. Dune has a strong narrative, but it shines in world-building, the comprehensiveness of the detail, but those details are still subjective so everyone's visualization is unique, every detail has it's own gravity for the reader.

Digesting it at your own speed with your own imagination will always pale in comparison to someone else's vision, no matter how grand or well-pitched their vision.
[Reply]
DanBecky 08:00 AM 10-28-2021

READ THE BOOK.

I know you’re a huge fan of the series so I may be asking the wrong person, but how hard are the books to get through? Is it comparable to Tolkien’s LOTR trilogy? Granted I haven’t done any research on the books before asking you. I adored Tolkien’s books growing up, read them so many times in my teens. I tried to go back recently some 15 years later and the books just seem……needlessly complex? Regardless of your answer I’ve pretty much made up my mind I will read the first book regardless bc I know it is held in such high regard. Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:23 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by DanBecky:
I know you’re a huge fan of the series so I may be asking the wrong person, but how hard are the books to get through? Is it comparable to Tolkien’s LOTR trilogy? Granted I haven’t done any research on the books before asking you. I adored Tolkien’s books growing up, read them so many times in my teens. I tried to go back recently some 15 years later and the books just seem……needlessly complex? Regardless of your answer I’ve pretty much made up my mind I will read the first book regardless bc I know it is held in such high regard. Thanks in advance.
When it comes to the original Frank Herbert books, sadly they get progressively worse. The second and third (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune) are okay, but the fourth book (God Emperor of Dune) is a boring, incoherent mess. I tried off and on for decades to get through it without success. I'm told the fifth and sixth books are better, but I never bothered to read them.

There are, however, several books set in the Dune universe co-written by Herbert's son Brian and based on his father's notes that I did enjoy, particularly a three book series set in the years immediately preceding the events of the original novel. One of my biggest problems with the fourth book is that it is set thousands of years in the future from the events of the original, so all of the characters I cared about were absent. Most of them are present in the prequel series, and I enjoyed learning about their origins and backstories.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:57 AM 10-28-2021
When it comes to the original Frank Herbert books, sadly they get progressively worse. The second and third (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune) are okay, but the fourth book (God Emperor of Dune) is a boring, incoherent mess. I tried off and on for decades to get through it without success. I'm told the fifth and sixth books are better, but I never bothered to read them.

There are, however, several books set in the Dune universe co-written by Herbert's son Brian and based on his father's notes that I did enjoy, particularly a three book series set in the years immediately preceding the events of the original novel. One of my biggest problems with the fourth book is that it is set thousands of years in the future from the events of the original, so all of the characters I cared about were absent. Most of them are present in the prequel series, and I enjoyed learning about their origins and backstories.
Book 6, Chapterhouse, I found to be excellent. The 2nd best book of the series. God Emperor is atrociously bad. Heretics of Dune is "OK", certainly much better than God Emperor.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:05 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by DanBecky:
I think the books are MUCH easier to read than Tolkien or George R.R. Martin.

(note: I also may be a bad judge of this, as my favorite book series/author is Steven Eriksen, who is a freaking genius but writes books that really make you work. The payoff is 100 percent worth it, IMO, but it has made most books seem like easy reading to me).

Side note for anyone else who hasn't seen my thoughts on Eriksen's Malazan series/universe... but if you're looking for a big, meaty, thought-provoking fantasy epic, it's the pinacle of that form, IMO.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:05 PM 10-25-2021
How are earnings determined for views from HBO?
[Reply]
unlurking 06:22 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
How are earnings determined for views from HBO?
https://variety.com/vip/data-dune-op...ts-1235096964/
[Reply]
Page 17 of 27
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Up