ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown is NOT an NFL left tackle
Mr. Wizard 08:45 PM 01-16-2022
He can’t handle the speed rush. Move him to the right side and draft a left tackle. Oh yea, cut Sorensen.

That is all.:-)
[Reply]
CupidStunt 10:38 AM 01-19-2022
This thread will be up there with the ones about firing Reid or taking whatever bumfudge QB over Mahomes in a couple years.

Bigger questions:

- Who plays RT
- Do they make a big splash at WR
- Is Gray a legit potential successor to Kelce or do they look at that again
- Is there a better, younger backup QB available that makes financial sense
- What the heck do they do at DE
- Which pending UFAs of their own do they sign to reasonable deals
- Is Badger still here next year, and if not, they need to fill a hole at safety
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:15 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:
This thread will be up there with the ones about firing Reid or taking whatever bumfudge QB over Mahomes in a couple years.

Bigger questions:

- Who plays RT
- Do they make a big splash at WR
- Is Gray a legit potential successor to Kelce or do they look at that again
- Is there a better, younger backup QB available that makes financial sense
- What the heck do they do at DE
- Which pending UFAs of their own do they sign to reasonable deals
- Is Badger still here next year, and if not, they need to fill a hole at safety
I think Shane Buechele is the heir to Henne as the back-up next year. Henne most likely is done.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:28 AM 01-19-2022
For what it's worth, even Trent Williams wasn't Trent Fucking Williams until he was about 28 years old. Fisher didn't really find his form until he was around 27.

The aging curve on tackles, all across the spectrum of ability, is just a little more graduated than many would like.

Brown probably isn't a finished product, fellas. He's 25 years old and in only his 4th year in the league. There's reason to believe he'll continue to get better for another year or two. In the interim, he's a solid LT.

Still seems odd to me how often CP blasts away at their LTs. Did a few years of Willie Roaf really mind-fuck y'all that badly? Is your perspective that shot that you can't acknowledge when a player is merely good at his job? Because Brown is.

EDIT: I see Maqe has already said this. Carry on, lads.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:28 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I don't think you said a single thing that isn't true.

I'm just going to point out that everyone is saying you have to pay Orlando Brown, because you can't ever replace him with a low first round pick.

this, however, casually ignores that brown himself was a third round pick.
Yeah, but that's highly irregular. Just like Bahktiari in the 4th was a lottery winning ticket. or Brady in the 6th. It just happens so very rarely.

Top flight LT's are really hard to find. Better than average LT's are hard to find. I think Brown is at least that, don't you? And he's 25, and he's already here.

Now, if you don't want to pay him, you're gonna have to pay someone. We don't have time to develop a prospect. We're in a SB window.

Pay him or pay someone else is really the decision.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:31 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
For what it's worth, even Trent Williams wasn't Trent ****ing Williams until he was about 28 years old. Fisher didn't really find his form until he was around 27.

The aging curve on tackles, all across the spectrum of ability, is just a little more graduated than many would like.

Brown probably isn't a finished product, fellas. He's 25 years old and in only his 4th year in the league. There's reason to believe he'll continue to get better for another year or two. In the interim, he's a solid LT.

Still seems odd to me how often CP blasts away at their LTs. Did a few years of Willie Roaf really mind-**** y'all that badly? Is your perspective that shot that you can't acknowledge when a player is merely good at his job? Because Brown is.

EDIT: I see Maqe has already said this. Carry on, lads.
yeah, I really don't think people realize just how good Willie Roaf was.

So good, that a career journeyman running back became a record setting star running sweeps left when everyone in the stadium knew it was coming.

Roaf was the best I ever saw, and I'm about to turn 50, and I've watched football since the '78 SB.

There was nothing like him. He was entirely dominant.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:32 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Yeah, but that's highly irregular. Just like Bahktiari in the 4th was a lottery winning ticket. or Brady in the 6th. It just happens so very rarely.

Top flight LT's are really hard to find. Better than average LT's are hard to find. I think Brown is at least that, don't you? And he's 25, and he's already here.

Now, if you don't want to pay him, you're gonna have to pay someone. We don't have time to develop a prospect. We're in a SB window.

Pay him or pay someone else is really the decision.
This is a critical point.

Another Travis Kelce is almost certainly not walking through that door. Another Tyreek Hill is more than likely not walking through that door. Right now we have 3 years left (give or take a year) with those 2 guys being difference makers.

Can't fuck around wasting one of 'em hoping that you stumble onto Larry Borom in the 5th. And you DEFINITELY can't pretend you're likely to get a legitimate upgrade on Brown with that (even Borom isn't; he's really a RT more than anything).

That's just the way of it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:38 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
yeah, I really don't think people realize just how good Willie Roaf was.

So good, that a career journeyman running back became a record setting star running sweeps left when everyone in the stadium knew it was coming.

Roaf was the best I ever saw, and I'm about to turn 50, and I've watched football since the '78 SB.

There was nothing like him. He was entirely dominant.
Yeah - he just cannot be the standard we hold OL to. If we're going to hold people to the standard of great players, can we at least be reasonable about it? I dunno - how 'bout Matt Light? Is anybody really going to argue that Jason Peters has the feet of a ballerina? Or that OBJ can't someday be just as good as Peters has been? That's exactly the sort of player that Brown should be (is) modeling his game after. And there's a pretty strong argument to be made that the best version of Peters came under Reids tutelage in Philly.

And fellas, those are GREAT players. He can be really really really good and not be as good as those guys. But even those guys are more reasonable than "if he ain't Roaf, we need to upgrade!!!"
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:38 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I don't think you said a single thing that isn't true.

I'm just going to point out that everyone is saying you have to pay Orlando Brown, because you can't ever replace him with a low first round pick.

this, however, casually ignores that brown himself was a third round pick.
It's not that you can't ever replace him with a low first round pick.

It's that you're really playing with fire by doing that. We're bitching about Brown's level of play in his first year in this new offense, so how do you think a goddamn rookie is going to fare? We're counting on him matching or exceeding Brown's playing level from this season in his rookie year, because at this point every precious season we can squeeze from this era of Mahomes weapons (Tyreek, Kelce) can't be wasted.

We did fine with Brown. No, it's not a given he'll keep improving. It's also not a given the rookie will work out. And I don't think we should be snubbing our noses at what Brown can do for you (heh) in favor of a bigger unknown in some rando ass hat rookie.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:49 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
It's not that you can't ever replace him with a low first round pick.

It's that you're really playing with fire by doing that. We're bitching about Brown's level of play in his first year in this new offense, so how do you think a goddamn rookie is going to fare? We're counting on him matching or exceeding Brown's playing level from this season in his rookie year, because at this point every precious season we can squeeze from this era of Mahomes weapons (Tyreek, Kelce) can't be wasted.

We did fine with Brown. No, it's not a given he'll keep improving. It's also not a given the rookie will work out. And I don't think we should be snubbing our noses at what Brown can do for you (heh) in favor of a bigger unknown in some rando ass hat rookie.
I said it before and I'll say it again:

Almost all of the guys talked about this time last year were either 1. bad at LT or 2. moved to RT or even guard.

We're not getting a LT in the draft. It's not going to happen.

If they're not going to tag or sign Brown, they're going to be trading for someone most likely.

Do we really want to have another draft with no 1st round pick?
[Reply]
BWillie 12:35 PM 01-19-2022
All for tagging. Against signing to long term deal.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:36 PM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
All for tagging. Against signing to long term deal.
Idiot.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:41 PM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Idiot.
I love you.
[Reply]
tredadda 12:58 PM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
You re-address the situation next year. You have another year of the tag. You have a 1st round pick. To top it off, I wouldn't worry too much about the value increase in his contract if it's actually worth it.

Do I think he "balls out?" Probably not. Depends on your definition of that. I give zero credence to the Pro Bowl but I would like to see the improvement with my eyes and not have to see Patrick step way up against speed to the outside every single time. It's the single glaring weakness to his game but it's also the one that affects Patrick in the worst possible ways. Maybe if he dropped 35 pounds and got significantly quicker but he's never shown the willingness to do that.

Most of the time he's passable but if you do hit a team with an interior pass rusher that can keep Patrick from stepping way up, he could present major issues. That may not be unless KC makes it to the SB but any of the candidates in the NFC right now present that issue sans GB. Of course, we know what GB did defensively against us so that's moot too.
You know why KC went after Trent Williams and when they didn't get him they went after Orlando Brown Jr.? Because in spite of a draft that had a lot of projected high end LTs, they were all gone well before KC picked. What are the chances of KC nabbing a high end one in a draft that isn't loaded with LT prospects? Having a first like you are talking about doesn't carry as much weight as say Detroit having a first.

As long as we have Mahomes/Reid, barring injuries we will never draft high enough to get a blue chip LT prospect. In order to move up enough to get one we would get raped in picks. For a team like this, we can't afford to give up those picks. Elite LTs, much like Franchise QBs rarely hit the market. Teams don't trade them. The only reason Brown Jr. Was available was because Baltimore had an elite LT, Stanley, there. Tagging him is a poor idea because it makes resigning him later more expensive and it takes away a tag we could have used on someone else.

The chances of us getting a better LT than him is small and the risk/reward of trying to draft his replacement is not worth it.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:03 PM 01-19-2022
I suspect the Chiefs will take the known - Brown being a solidly above-average NFL left tackle who does have some weaknesses to his game and who can still improve - over rolling the dice with a rookie or new acquisition.

I think it's a good draft for them to try to upgrade their swing tackle spot with a promising rookie they land in round 3 or 4, with the idea of at least upgrading RT after next year with that player. Hoping they flash like Spencer Brown or Walker Little after some adjustment.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:03 PM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
LOL, wow Patrick did say he has to play like "normal" QB's that includes a less fluid pocket
because he can't scramble as much due to the defender will be in his lap. Orlando would wash the passrusher right into him

Wow, man do I get free drinks living inside your head.

Thus, trolling must make you hungry give Orlando a tour of the eateries in KC then you can sate those personal attacks.
He had the same issues with Fisher.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 14
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up