« First < 204604654694700701702703704 705706707708714754804 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:58 PM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by Peter Gibbons:
VOO is another that I like as well.
Definitely a good one. Wait, is that a meme stock?!?!

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Thanks, I swing trade 5 shares of TSLA in my daughters account and can grab about $300 every two to three weeks so I'll start adding that to her portfolio. Thanks again!
VOO is another good choice as mentioned. Compare the 2 and see which one meets to goal/need.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:00 PM 07-08-2021
VOO is another that I like as well.
That one looks good as well.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 05:51 PM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Definitely a good one. Wait, is that a meme stock?!?!.
It is definitely not a rocket ship to the moon. It’s more of a piece of tissue paper in a mild breeze with a slow but steady uplift. It may even clear a small tree over time with its steady altitude gains.

In all fairness, I own VTI and VOO. I am kinda boring with my main investments. Yet, I get all the “excitement” that I want with my 10 year stock options from my company that total about 1/3 of my compensation. At any given time, I have WAY too much tied up in the performance of a single company stock for my taste. I never knew what bile tasted liked until I started accruing lots of options over time lol.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:52 PM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Meh price has been stagnant. Made quite a bit of profit. Time to move on from meme stocks.
I was mostly just giving you shit. But seriously FUCK YOU!!!
[Reply]
Halfcan 06:46 PM 07-08-2021
The market was total shit today. It seems it is in the grip of fools.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 06:46 PM 07-08-2021
It’s a beautiful plan and I love the generational caretaking mentality!

I may need my kids sneak onto the property to spread my ashes in the cover of darkness once I pass on as I will not be a Maui land owner. Let me know the address and whether or not firearms are on the property so I can give my heirs the appropriate warnings in my will. :-)

Knowing my kids, there will be plenty of firearms involved. Once I hopefully buy it, I will provide the address here with pictures.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:49 PM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
The market was total shit today. It seems it is in the grip of fools.
:-)
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:29 PM 07-08-2021
:-)
So a complete sell-off with just the slightest bad news is logical to you?

3 times a week?

Companies with solid earnings are tanking while pos companies with no earnings are skyrocketing.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:35 PM 07-08-2021
So a complete sell-off with just the slightest bad news is logical to you?

3 times a week?

Companies with solid earnings are tanking while pos companies with no earnings are skyrocketing.
A selloff is the Nasdaq and SP down .72 and .86 in a day? That's not a selloff after 10 of 13 prior green days.

What companies? AAPL and AMZN are rocketing as are many other large tech and good companies.

You must have missed my post on the S&P and it's recent all-time high and all the recent green days and all indexes being extended. The trend is still very bullish but again NOT LINEAR.

Are you just expecting weekly all-time highs?
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:50 PM 07-08-2021
A selloff is the Nasdaq and SP down .72 and .86 in a day? That's not a selloff after 10 of 13 prior green days.

What companies? AAPL and AMZN are rocketing as are many other large tech and good companies.

You must have missed my post on the S&P and it's recent all-time high and all the recent green days and all indexes being extended. The trend is still very bullish but again NOT LINEAR.

Are you just expecting weekly all-time highs?
My accounts have not been Green 10-13 days which includes AAPL which was also down today.

And I agree- Nasdaq is over-inflated right now because of pos Meme stocks. Congrats if this market activity makes sense to you. It looks like a house of cards that will be taking good companies that I invest in with it.

My new strategy is to just invest and not look at it every day. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 08:11 PM 07-08-2021
My accounts have not been Green 10-13 days which includes AAPL which was also down today.

And I agree- Nasdaq is over-inflated right now because of pos Meme stocks. Congrats if this market activity makes sense to you. It looks like a house of cards that will be taking good companies that I invest in with it.

My new strategy is to just invest and not look at it every day. :-)
Seems like you're looking for someone to blame but the easy answer here is.....it's you.

If the markets are green 10/13 days and indexes are setting all-time highs, than it's you that's the problem. This is why 90%+ of investors are better off buying index funds and holding rather than individual stocks. Individual stocks are riskier because the market is NOT rational. Stocks have great earnings all the time and end up selling off. I make it a point to NEVER own a stock in my trading account through earnings because the market/stocks aren't rational.

If you are using an actual strategy to buy and sell, you won't get caught holding dogs. But most people convince themselves that whatever stock they purchased SHOULD go up. You're doing just that in your post here. Please, don't do that.

The month of June was amazing for me in my trading account. If what you are doing is losing money on heavily trending bull markets, you only have yourself to blame.

Mind sharing what companies you own that are dogging you?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:40 PM 07-08-2021
Also, I don't think most understand the magnitude of the gains we've seen. A nearly 90% rally since March 2020 lows. That just doesn't happen. The average return over time is 10% in the S&P.

And we aren't even seeing average decline in the S&P during bull market pullbacks while still following a bullish trend.

Originally Posted by :

The U.S. stock market is making it out of the coronavirus crisis, and the S&P 500 and Nasdaq are hitting record highs. Now what?

But after a monumental rebound from the March 2020 lows, the stock market went into a necessary consolidation. From its March 2020 low, the Nasdaq soared nearly 114% to a peak on Feb. 16. The composite then fell into a funk, pulling back as much as 13% before regaining the momentum that carried the index to record highs the past week.

"After a nearly 90% rally off the March 2020 lows, it's not much of a surprise that since mid-April the S&P 500 index has been choppy and generally moved sideways," Jeff Buchbinder, equity strategist at LPL Financial

Before 2020, the Nasdaq had four years of gains greater than 40% since its 1972 debut, according to Investor's Business Daily research. The best year after such a surge was the 16.9% advance in 2010, when the market was still recovering from the 2008 financial crisis. The worst annual performance after a 40%-plus gain was in 2000, when the dot-com bubble burst and the Nasdaq collapsed 39.3%.

Worth noting: The average maximum decline in the S&P 500 at any point in the second year of its bull markets was about 10%, Buchbinder wrote. This year, support at the 50-day moving average has kept S&P 500 pullbacks to no worse than 6%.

The market's flattening wouldn't be much of a problem for growth stock investors if enough stocks were rallying from breakouts. But gains have been possible only through great stock picking.

For many investors, even a 10% portfolio return has been difficult to achieve in 2021. Heavy churn in market leadership makes it harder for stocks to sustain runs and reach normal 20% to 25% gains from buy points.

Reflecting that frustration, most IBD stock lists are lagging the S&P 500 this year. Through Friday, the IBD 50 was up 9.7%, the Big Cap 20 9.5% and Sector Leaders 13.7%, the latter essentially matching the S&P 500.

Some analysts say this year's stock market has seen more sector rotation than usual.

Technically, the best stocks also distinguish themselves with sound base patterns The problem is that so many stock breakouts from proper buy points on a technical basis haven't been as productive this year as they normally would be. Taking profits at 10%, rather than the normal 20% to 25%, may be a useful strategy. (Holy shit, Lewdog has been preaching this in here!).
https://www.investors.com/news/stock...for-investors/
[Reply]
MTG#10 08:45 PM 07-08-2021
It's a little disingenuous touting market gains since March 2020 dont you think? Of course we've seen huge gains coming out of one of the worst crashes of all time. The 3 rounds of stimulus checks have a bit to do with it as well.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:58 PM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
It's a little disingenuous touting market gains since March 2020 dont you think? Of course we've seen huge gains coming out of one of the worst crashes of all time. The 3 rounds of stimulus checks have a bit to do with it as well.
I’m just providing data. All time highs also say you can’t blame the market if you’re losing money like some in here.

I’m just trying to provide facts for this thread instead of “this market sucks” while we set all time highs through a historic bull run. The bull run before 2020 was 11 years long (2009-2020). The average bull market is about 4 years. Investing since 2009 has been easy.
[Reply]
MTG#10 09:51 PM 07-08-2021
That's fair. I keep telling myself it's time to liquidate before I get caught heavily invested during the inevitable pullback but every time I do we have an insane red day with deals too good to pass up. I gotta be strong and do it soon because I know its coming.
[Reply]
Page 704 of 934
« First < 204604654694700701702703704 705706707708714754804 > Last »
Up