ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs [give Kelce a raise]
Shag 12:29 PM 04-29-2024

Just confirmed with the agent that Travis Kelce’s contract is not an extension through 2027, but rather a renegotiated 2-year contract that replaces the final two seasons of his previous deal in KC.

Kelce was set to earn $30.25M, but can now bag $34.25M, $17M of which is… https://t.co/gJtZ31JmT6

— Spotrac (@spotrac) April 29, 2024

LFG
[Reply]
DaFace 02:49 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by wazu:
Okay apparently Sweeney was talking out of his ass.
:-)

That still doesn't really explain what those final two years are on the contract, and Sweeney does still call it more of an "adjustment" than an extension. I do wonder if we're talking about void years here and this is a planned denouement for Kelce over the next two years...
[Reply]
DaFace 02:52 PM 04-29-2024

Read a text wrong—it's not an extension. It's a raise, per source, to the existing deal. So he's under contract for the next two years at $34.25 million, and up after 2025.

He gets a $4 million raise this year. He gets early vesting to guarantees next year. https://t.co/Ys19tBATH6

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) April 29, 2024

[Reply]
wazu 02:56 PM 04-29-2024
One of those situations where the race to be first just confuses everybody.
[Reply]
carcosa 03:10 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Plays for my favorite team tbh
I was thinking the same thing!
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 03:19 PM 04-29-2024
So basically he gets a raise the next 2 years to make him the highest paid TE in football (which he should be) and then likely retiring after that.

At least, that's what it sounds like to me. :-)
[Reply]
KC Hawks 03:19 PM 04-29-2024
I like Travis and KC
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:24 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sounds like it's either 1) void years or 2) years with no guarantees at all (and amounts that haven't been reported)? :-)

Oh well, that's not too bad.

If there isn't any guaranteed money after 25, whatever.

Normally I hate paying non-QB old guys, but I just can't find a fuck to give. Dude deserves it.
[Reply]
DRM08 03:31 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
So basically he gets a raise the next 2 years to make him the highest paid TE in football (which he should be) and then likely retiring after that.

At least, that's what it sounds like to me. :-)
Below are some quotes from Veach. I could see them doing 1-year deals with Travis if he wants to keep playing beyond the 2025 season.

“Every now and then you have one of these guys that are outliers and certainly Travis is one of those players," Veach said when asked how much longer Kelce, 34, can play. "Today we had a chance to get out there in Phase 2 [of the offseason program] and guys were out there running around, and Travis was the first guy in line, and I mean he looked like he was 28 years old.”

"The odds of someone playing this far into the thirties are very low, but it does happen, and it happens with just unicorns in the profession, and Travis is one of those and we'll certainly celebrate this with him and hopefully we can ride this thing even longer. So, we'll just have to wait and see. But I've seen no signs of [Kelce] slowing down and everyone notices the kind of postseason he had, and he just found that extra gear and these special ones, these special players are always able to find that extra gear…If anybody could do it, Travis can.''
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:43 PM 04-29-2024
Now if he'll just marry swift and take half her shit he'll have made a real haul this year.
[Reply]
Womble 03:58 PM 04-29-2024
The fact that AJ Brown gets paid nearly twice as much as Kelce is a joke. It's not that tight ends are paid too little and is more that WRs are paid double what they should be. Jerry JAG Jeudy is on more than Kelce :-)

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:08 PM 04-29-2024
I'd take Kelce on my roster 11 times out of 10 over AJ Brown
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 04:14 PM 04-29-2024
Glad something nice could happen for Travis Kelce
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 04:18 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by ModSocks:
Kelce didn't "take less". He's a TE, one of the lowest paid position groups in the league, and at one point, he was the highest paid TE in the league until Kittle and Waller etc got paid very shortly after.
Up until today he did... he was the 54th highest player in the NFL last year and the 4th highest paid TE.

If he took the Tyreek approach earlier in his career at his peak value/performance he could have absolutely demanded more.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:19 PM 04-29-2024
Finally starting to (hopefully) get some clarity. It sounds like there's no added time on this at all - just a redo of his next two years.

Just confirmed with the agent that Travis Kelce’s contract is not an extension through 2027, but rather a renegotiated 2-year contract that replaces the final two seasons of his previous deal in KC.

Kelce was set to earn $30.25M, but can now bag $34.25M, $17M of which is… https://t.co/gJtZ31JmT6

— Spotrac (@spotrac) April 29, 2024

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:32 PM 04-29-2024
The Chiefs just signed a 34 year old whose showing signs of wear and tear to the highest contract at his position

And yet I feel like he's still criminally underpaid
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Up