ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
Coach 08:39 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I set a (kinda half assed) financial plan to get myself out of all of my debt from the birth of my daughter and my credit cards.

Once my tax return hits my last credit card will be gone. I'm 99% sure I can survive the pay cut I will take. I feel a little weird being a responsible adult.
Very smart. That will make it much easier to manage things in general once you are debt free. I would also encourage to build up a savings fund/emergency fund as well, if you are able to.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:06 PM 02-19-2022
So, I have a job I like pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty well. I love my team that I work with and the people that work for me. I once stayed in this job because of the money, after an opportunity to leave for less pay and more free time.

A few nights ago I was approached by a competitor. Now, this competitor is a group I know well. Ownership, upper management, etc. They offered me a role in there organization that would be less pay.

This role would take me away from my customer facing position, into an internal position overseeing a specific section of the operations of four stores. I have worked for the upper management/ownership of this competitor in the past, under different circumstances. I know from that, that they do give a shit about the people that work for them, there is no corporate structure, and I have no doubt will be better to work for. To go with that, there is a possibility that my role will continue to evolve, and I could end up in a situation making more money, but this involves a lot of time, effort, and mostly, results, and is not a given. It is also somewhat precarious, as I am expected to take over for several dinosaurs of the business whos times have passed them by, so would have to kind of 'figure it out'.

At my current job, I have a huge amount of respect for my location GM, and I am the second in command. I have recently been approached about training to at some point, take over his role. This has been communicated to me as the plan moving forward, but without solid timeframe. My concern is that we where purchased by a large group a few months ago, and you just do not know what you are going to get coming down the pipe. I also earn near the top of what my position would command, regardless of location, etc, and if I where to at some point take the reigns of the entire location, I would again move up in pay.

What says CP?

A - keep current customer facing job, known role with known aptitude, earn more, communicated advancement opportunity, with uncertain corporate overlords

B - take new internal job, earn less, new role with general aptitude, unclear advancement opportunity, with known quality overlords
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:13 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by hometeam:
So, I have a job I like pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty well. I love my team that I work with and the people that work for me. I once stayed in this job because of the money, after an opportunity to leave for less pay and more free time.

A few nights ago I was approached by a competitor. Now, this competitor is a group I know well. Ownership, upper management, etc. They offered me a role in there organization that would be less pay.

This role would take me away from my customer facing position, into an internal position overseeing a specific section of the operations of four stores. I have worked for the upper management/ownership of this competitor in the past, under different circumstances. I know from that, that they do give a shit about the people that work for them, there is no corporate structure, and I have no doubt will be better to work for. To go with that, there is a possibility that my role will continue to evolve, and I could end up in a situation making more money, but this involves a lot of time, effort, and mostly, results, and is not a given. It is also somewhat precarious, as I am expected to take over for several dinosaurs of the business whos times have passed them by, so would have to kind of 'figure it out'.

At my current job, I have a huge amount of respect for my location GM, and I am the second in command. I have recently been approached about training to at some point, take over his role. This has been communicated to me as the plan moving forward, but without solid timeframe. My concern is that we where purchased by a large group a few months ago, and you just do not know what you are going to get coming down the pipe. I also earn near the top of what my position would command, regardless of location, etc, and if I where to at some point take the reigns of the entire location, I would again move up in pay.

What says CP?

A - keep current customer facing job, known role with known aptitude, earn more, communicated advancement opportunity, with uncertain corporate overlords

B - take new internal job, earn less, new role with general aptitude, unclear advancement opportunity, with known quality overlords

If you are interested---negotiate.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:16 PM 02-19-2022
Way to many jobs out there to take a pay cut.

Hell I’ve been head hunted by 3 different aviation companies in the past QTR. we’re getting substantial pay raises every 6 months just to keep up with the market.

It’s a good time to improve your status.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:17 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
If you are interested---negotiate.
I am interested, and am in negotiations lol. Because I earn near the top of my current position, it is hard to match. I certainly know there would be a pay cut, and it may vary on what I can accomplish there, it could be as low as 10% I think in best case.

The problem in my business is, big salary means big production, and you always have to make sure you are worth it. Its easier in my current position to see money on paper from my performance, new position is more murky and thus comes with more risk, especially as the salary climbs higher.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:19 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
Way to many jobs out there to take a pay cut.

Hell I’ve been head hunted by 3 different aviation companies in the past QTR. we’re getting substantial pay raises every 6 months just to keep up with the market.

It’s a good time to improve your status.
I get that. In my business, and at my level of production, there are few jobs available that are not already solidly entrenched, and I earn at or near the top compensation that you could rationally expect, it would be hard to make a move that did not include a cut or risk in cut.

I guess for me, the improvement would come in quality of life, and knowing you work for someone who doesn't see you as an employee number/line item..
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 09:25 PM 02-19-2022
I get that. In my business, and at my level of production, there are few jobs available that are not already solidly entrenched, and I earn at or near the top compensation that you could rationally expect, it would be hard to make a move that did not include a cut or risk in cut.

I guess for me, the improvement would come in quality of life, and knowing you work for someone who doesn't see you as an employee number/line item..
I’m just a line pilot that generates revenue. I fly around 560 hours a year in a gulfstream. They charge around $10k per hour. I generate $5.5m or so in revenue per year. I’m paid nicely to do so. But if I want to make more I have to go to the majors. Commuting isn’t something I’m interested in at my age.

When your are the top like you are. The only thing you can improve is your QOL. There is value. Tons of value in QOL.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:37 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
When I would hire people I would look for 4 key characteristics:

1. Passion
2. Good integrity and reputation
3. Believed and shared in our companies vision and services/offerings
4. Shared the same vision and work ethic as me.

Rarely failed me and only did if I hired someone not having one of the 4 above.

My goal is to show them the process, get them to follow it and execute.
I’d revise that based on CP realities

1. 11 inch hawg
2. 4.3 forty
3. Supermodel wife
4. Must be able to meme
[Reply]
Jenson71 09:47 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Well, I did something...

Starting a new job in a few weeks.
Hey, me too!

And I'm pretty sure I'm going to be working for some sort of mafia front that is looking for a fall guy to do time in prison. I gave the second worst interview of my life (all of my interviews are bad, so I now say, "Marketing myself" when asked what an area I could improve on is, and immediately develop credibility with the interviewer). First, I didn't wear a tie. I told the interviewer I didn't have relevant references and was not entirely qualified for the position. Without any solicitation, I talked about a time I completely screwed up so bad I had to call our malpractice insurer.

I just hope my prison is one of those upper-tiered ones with head chefs who went to culinary school.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 10:22 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
Because everyone thinks they can manage and they can't.

Bossing people around is not the same as managing people.
Well, that and how you get judged as a manager in most companies is not at all aligned with being a good manager. A couple of posters pointed out that they are good managers that people want to work for, and while that may be true, at the end of the day it doesn't matter for most companies. It's did you hit deadlines/numbers/sales/kpis. This is just a fact that most people have seen: it doesn't matter if you are the biggest ass in the entire world, if you hit your numbers as a manager you will keep your job and probably advance as long as you keep making the company money. Results are king and how you get them is a secondary concern that will only be an issue if you don't hit the numbers.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:29 PM 02-19-2022

What says CP?

Why the fuck would you take a paycut with unclear advancement opportunities? Pass on that.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 11:10 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Why the fuck would you take a paycut with unclear advancement opportunities? Pass on that.
Have you seen his tattoo? :-)
[Reply]
hometeam 12:57 AM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Ultimately, the management structure at the competitor, including owner, is solid as a rock, and I have worked for them for nearly ten out of the last 12 years. In fact, the guy who called me brought me to my current position with this company, but had changed companies as well. with my current job, a few recent things have happened, and I have been through enough corporate crap, that its unclear in some ways as well. They actually stealth paycut me twice since December.

But, I get your point at the same time. Thats why I am torn.. im kinda stressed about it tbh
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:48 AM 02-20-2022
Ultimately, the management structure at the competitor, including owner, is solid as a rock, and I have worked for them for nearly ten out of the last 12 years. In fact, the guy who called me brought me to my current position with this company, but had changed companies as well. with my current job, a few recent things have happened, and I have been through enough corporate crap, that its unclear in some ways as well. They actually stealth paycut me twice since December.

But, I get your point at the same time. Thats why I am torn.. im kinda stressed about it tbh
Well in that case I would still turn down the offer and go with option c, find something better.
[Reply]
raybec 4 09:04 AM 02-20-2022

How does that happen twice in 6 weeks?
[Reply]
Page 11 of 12
« First < 7891011 12 >
Up